Sign in to follow this  

Any of you ladies start riding over 30?

I am also: new to the forum, in MI, began riding at 33 years (never on bike before).

I learned on my current bike, 2004 RMZ-250.

I am, like a few women I know, still conservative.

I work full time and have two young children. I can't break anything on my body.

I am racing Arenacross on Sunday 1/29/06 in Grand Rapids.

Excited & Nervous.

Congratulation on your new purchase. Good luck. Eventually you will learn to keep it on two wheels most of the time. Ride your ride, not someone else's.

Jeremy McGrath has a new video out for beginners. The problem with many videos is that they go too fast and don't start with the basics. Jeremy's is very slow and starts with the basics.

Good luck. Hope to see you out there sometime. Please say hello.

Black RMZ #116.. Race MPX (Siebawaing) all season, ride SandBox (Vassar) and hope to be D-14 this year. BBBRRRAAAPPP!!!

"Along4theRide" - Is the XR in your possession yet? "Junkielove" good luck at the Arenacross in GR - I'm still talking my husband into going to watch!!

Stacey

"Along4theRide" - Is the XR in your possession yet? "Junkielove" good luck at the Arenacross in GR - I'm still talking my husband into going to watch!!

Stacey

A4TR and I want to try to get it this weekend. (we couldnt last weekend) but it really depends on my work schedule.

:thumbsup: i'm reading all this and thinking to myself why don't i start riding? seems at 39 i'm not too old after all :bonk:

RIGHT HERE!! :thumbsup:

I had wanted to ride since I was about 13 or so. My parents would never let me have a bike. None of my boyfriends would teach me how to ride. Finally, at the ripe old age of 36 (I'm 40 now...) I went out and BOUGHT ME A BIKE!!! :thumbsup:

My first bike was a Honda XR250. Someone from work taught me how to ride on a TTR125, but I'm tall, so a bigger bike was better after I got the hang of shifting and turning corners, etc. Then I noticed all these orange bikes out in the woods with e-start so my next bike was a KTM250F, and then I fell in love with a KTM400 which is my ride now.

I had the good fortune of riding with some really great, helpful, patient people. I've thrown a leg over many a bike to see what I like. I try not to ride over my head but aim at increasing my skill. I've taken a couple of offroad classes and raced a few races.

Just have fun!! :bonk: YOU WILL NEVER REGRET BUYING THAT DIRTBIKE.

I started three years ago with never touching a motorcycle before. I'll be 34 in Sept. I too began on the street with a Ninja 250, MSF and all that (all because of my guy too!) I now ride an '04 R6-street and track days-and an '01 YZ80. I just purchased my first "big" dirtbike and am waiting to pick it up. An '04 YZ250F and I can't wait.

Dirtbikes are the ultimate toys, in my opinion. We ride ours all year. Spring/fall/summer is in the dirt, Summer is dirt and motard while winter we throw studs on and run ice. I can't get enough of these things. Best investment I ever made was my 80. I can't wait to get to know my 250! :thumbsup:

Yep, I started last Sept. at the ripe 'ol age of 35. I'd been dying to ride ever since I was about 8 or 9 yrs old when all the older neighborhood boys were out tearing up the trails on their dirtbikes. I researched and asked a bunch of questions on what to start out with and ended up with a KX100 and then moved up to a WR250 in February- and then broke my elbow in June and haven't been able to ride since. :thumbsup: (hopefully, next weekend, though.) At any rate, with 4 little kids alot of people think I'm crazy but I totally LOVE IT!!!

I started riding at 41 and I'm almost 44 now.

Okay, so things heal a little slower BUT I really don't feel all that much weaker in my 40's than I did in my 30's.

I do wish I had taken up the sport awhile ago though as it would be nice to be really good at it by now.

I started riding at 41 and I'm almost 44 now.

Okay, so things heal a little slower BUT I really don't feel all that much weaker in my 40's than I did in my 30's.

I do wish I had taken up the sport awhile ago though as it would be nice to be really good at it by now.

At 44 I got myself a Honda crf230f for my birthday and taught myself how to ride 6 months ago.

I started riding at 30, and racing at 33! I'll be 37 tomorrow, yikes :bonk: . Time flies but ever since I started riding and racing I feel younger each year. Met my husband at the track too :thumbsup: . He is kind enough to coach me, work on my bike, ride with me all the time and be my shoulder to cry on when I crash. He helped me win the women's amateur class in SRAC (Colorado club) last year. I had to beat the teenagers too which is not easy! You are never too old to start riding!

Happy Birthday! I'll be 37, too on Friday. Doesn't feel like it, though. :thumbsup: I wish I had started this sport much earlier!!

I agree! I just turned 37 in Dec and started riding last year. This will be my first year of racing! Gonna try a few different places and races but no matter what I love it! Wish I would have started earlier but I think now I can do it for me instead of worrying about what everyone else is thinking! Enjoy!

It is so cool to see how many ladies have picked up this sport later in life and taking it to the track racing! It's such an awesome thing!

What's wrong with being over 30? HUH!?!!? :bonk:

(I turn 33 in a month.)

I'm crazier now than I was when I started riding (at age 19). :thumbsup:

My wife started riding at a very young 46 on an XT225. I took her to a middle school parking lot. We spent a lot of time on the basics. Now she has two bikes and is quite confident. For the learners and teachers, it is very important to talk a lot about what is going on. There are many little things you don't want to learn the hard way.

Also, it can be risky to start on dirt. A neighbor started his wife in their back yard. Even though it was fairly smooth, she fell a few times and then refused to get back on. Sold the bike with 79 miles on it.

Also, it can be risky to start on dirt. A neighbor started his wife in their back yard. Even though it was fairly smooth, she fell a few times and then refused to get back on. Sold the bike with 79 miles on it.

Funny. That's right where I started out, on a friend's decrepit DT400, which was the least psycho of all the bikes available. The others were a 91-92ish CR250 (no), a mid-to-late 80s YZ250 (noooo) and an ATC250R (NOOOO!) Said friend lived on an equally decrepit lemon orchard in north Ventura so there were plenty of trails to putt around on. The one week of rain we got made the whole place a huge mud hole, which was mega fun.

I think it entirely depends on the personality of the student rider. Some people are the type who crash, get up, dust themselves off and go "FUN! Let's do it again!!!" Some aren't. IMHO, the best place to learn to ride is the MSF beginner street class. They teach you on very mellow 125cc and 250cc street bikes with very low seat height. Get the basics down and go from there.

I don't think I'd ever consider teaching my partner how to ride. Ideally, she'd not only come pre-learned but could also whup my ass up and down the road and trail. :thumbsup:

Hello !!! I am a newbie to this site, I have ridden street bikes since I was 17 or maybe 16 and started riding dirt bikes nearly 2 years ago. I own a 2006 CRF230 which is my new "race" bike, I race ladies B harescrambles and hope to do an A race this year. I am 38 going on 68 somedays! I also own a DR650 dual sport for the roads, been doing the sportbike thing for years but nowadays I get more of a kick out of riding dirt! Great site here, lots of info!