Sign in to follow this  

Stalling 72 xl-250

Hi everyone, let me first say I'm amazed to find a place with so many people owning the early xl 250's... When I first got mine I looked around and it seemed like I was the only one who knew what they were, much less actually had oneLOL

So, I'm hoping you all can help with a stalling problem I'm having... I've had the bike for about 2 to 3 monthes and finally got around to starting it this weekend. Jumped on it a lot and finally got it started, it had been sitting for awhile. Now, after letting it run for awhile and blow out a lot of smoke I can't seem to give it any gas without it stalling out. It'll start right up after, just won't take any gas to rev the engine. It'll idle just fine, and I even managed to ride it around my property a bit in first gear without giving it gasLOL I know, prolly stupid, but i just HAD to ride it :applause: At one point I wasn't thinkling and gave it gas and it, you guessed it, stalled. I was able to get it re started but when I put it in first, jumps about a foot and dies again :bonk:

Ok, end of wordy postLOL Anyone have any idea's? I'm still fairly new to bike's so I'm not sure where to start...

Maxx

you think theres a lot of xls here, check out this place!!!

http://www.aimoo.com/forum/freeboard.cfm?id=573740&xxx=14026&NoCaches=Yes

back to your prob, hows the tank look? these bikes were notorius for rusty tanks. sounds like you've got a gunked up carb. what does the spark plug look like? my first course of action would be to drain the float bowl into something and see what it looks like. blobs of stuff in the gas would be water, floaties in general are bad. the other thing i would try is a new plug. my 250 will randomly decide its finished with a plug and will act like that (rarely... usually it just quits.). anyways, give those a try...

you think theres a lot of xls here, check out this place!!!

http://www.aimoo.com/forum/freeboard.cfm?id=573740&xxx=14026&NoCaches=Yes

Thats pretty kool! I'll have to check that out...

back to your prob, hows the tank look? these bikes were notorius for rusty tanks.

Yup, so was mine when i got it. I took the tank off and drained the gas (looked bad). I did the "fill it with metal nuts and bolts" thing and shook it up to break some loose. Than flushed it real well with water. It sat a week in the hot Az sun before i put it back on, so i kow it's at least dry. But I guess there could be some rust flakes still in it...

sounds like you've got a gunked up carb. what does the spark plug look like?

It's brand new, that was the other thing i did, aside from draining and cleaning (and painting) the tank. I also did an oil changeLOL You can see why it took me a few monthes before i actually STARTED itLOL

my first course of action would be to drain the float bowl into something and see what it looks like. blobs of stuff in the gas would be water, floaties in general are bad.

Ok, I'll give that a shot and see. If it's the tank im in trouble, it's the only one i haveLOL I was kinda toying with the idea of trying to run it with gas from another source... Sorta a test to see if the gas from the tank is bad...

the other thing i would try is a new plug. my 250 will randomly decide its finished with a plug and will act like that (rarely... usually it just quits.). anyways, give those a try...

I will! Thanks for the advice!!

Maxx

Take the carb apart and clean all the jets and orifices thoroughly with carb/contact cleaner, it sounds as though your pilot jet (or slow jet, as Honda calls it) is clogged. A very common problem when a bike sits for a period of time. The gas dries up in the carb, leaving a shellac-like substance stuck everywhere.

The SERVICE HONDA microfiche lists a #105 main jet and a #38 slow jet for your bike, in case you need to change them.

Take the carb apart and clean all the jets and orifices thoroughly with carb/contact cleaner, it sounds as though your pilot jet (or slow jet, as Honda calls it) is clogged. A very common problem when a bike sits for a period of time. The gas dries up in the carb, leaving a shellac-like substance stuck everywhere.

The SERVICE HONDA microfiche lists a #105 main jet and a #38 slow jet for your bike, in case you need to change them.

Ugh, I knew someone was gonna suggest thatLOL Oh well, I think your probably right. I know I sprayed a little carb cleaner in it while it was running and it seemed to run a bit better after it got over having something other than gas/air in it. It's probably at least part of my problem.

I've got the carb off and it's soaking in some cleaner to get the outside a little more presantibleLOL This'll be the first carb i've taken apart and cleaned, hope I can get it back together again :bonk: Nah, I'm glad I got the Clymer repair manual :thumbsup:

Thanks for the jet numbers, too! I have another carb that came with the bike, so I've got replacements... but I wouldnt know the part numbers....

Again, thanks for the help, I'm very gratefull...

Maxx

When you take apart the carb, take your time and study the parts as you remove them, where exactly they were. Have a nice clear workbench so you can lay the parts out as you remove them. Take your time, no distractions, keep people away, keep the radio off. The Clymer book close by. You'll be a bike mechanic in no time!

Those old XL's are fun. I've got a 1974 XL350 that I race flattrack. Someday soon I plan to get a XL250 for my daughter.

Well, I've got the carb apart and am soaking it... Quick question for you all... Once the main jet is out..how do you get itback in? I'm assuming mine is pretty old cause the black plastic "washer" is old and cracked. It came right out and now won't seem to stay...

M

When you take apart the carb, take your time and study the parts as you remove them, where exactly they were. Have a nice clear workbench so you can lay the parts out as you remove them. Take your time, no distractions, keep people away, keep the radio off. The Clymer book close by. You'll be a bike mechanic in no time!

Those old XL's are fun. I've got a 1974 XL350 that I race flattrack. Someday soon I plan to get a XL250 for my daughter.

I did as you suggested and it went well. That was a good idea....I actually locked myself in the back bedroomLOL

I just put the carb back on and the results are better than I expected. It's still blowing a LOT of bluish white smoke, wich is worrying me, but she revs well now. I can sit and crank the throttle and it doesnt die. Starting to sound like a real dirtbike nowLOL

The carb was a mess... I found sand in the bottom of the float bowl, very fine grit, but sand :bonk: All the jets were half clogged and the inside was just plain filthy. A lot of screws loose, too. (heh, like me)

Mainly now it's just figuring out the smoking. It smokes constantly (heh, like me) and i just remembered when i give it the throttle and let off will backfire a little. Do you guys think I'm right in thinking to adjust the air/fuel and check the timing? Anything else i might be missing?

Oh, i'll also be installing an inline fuel filter to make sure the gas getting to the carb is good. The manuel mentioned something about water in the gas causing white smoke...

Can you guys think of anything i might have missed, or should do? All in all im pretty excited, this was my first carb re build and now my bikes running better than when i started :thumbsup:

M

P.S. Thanks for listening and all your advice so far...!

cool beans! if the sand in your carb was rust coloured, it means your tank is rusty. itll run well for a bit and gradually fill back up with that grit and start doing it again... there is no permanent fix. you can try kreem, i've never used it but i've hear good results. i finally gave up and scrounged up another tank.

cool beans! if the sand in your carb was rust coloured, it means your tank is rusty. itll run well for a bit and gradually fill back up with that grit and start doing it again... there is no permanent fix. you can try kreem, i've never used it but i've hear good results. i finally gave up and scrounged up another tank.

Wow, I'm glad you mentioned that! Yeah, it was rust colored. I at first took it as sand since i live in a sandy area (desert) but I went back and found a little on my work area and yeah it's rust. I'll be putting on an inline filter tommorow for the short term and look around at maybe another tank or a coating like kreem. Im actually kinda leaning toward the version put out by POR-15. I've a friend who uses their stuff on his old cars and he swears by the stuff... Heres a link to their tank repair kit.

http://www.por15.com/Default.aspx?TabId=103

I've got a exhaust question i forgot to ask earlier (I really DO check the manuel before asking these things...LOL) On the underside of the stock muffler I've got an exhaust leak. It looks like theres a piece of metal there partly blocking the leak. Is this supposed to be there? Is it a factory installed baffle with a factory hole under it? Or is it just the previous owners failed attempt at fixing a hole in the muffler :thumbsup:

Maxx

Well, here's an update. After cleaning out the carb, adjusting the contact breaker point and checking the timing (Or, trying to) it's no longer stallingLOL

I can crank the throttle all the way and it doesnt die, it seems to be running rich, though. The idle speed is much faster, even after adjusting the idle and fuel air speed. On the test drive i had to ride the break to keep it at a low speed i was comfortable withLOL

Im concerned about the engine itself, though. Before i did all this it just put out a lot of bluish white smoke. Now, im getting a lot of smoke when it's idling (almost none when riding) and oil out the exhaust. Theres also a little trickle comming out the exhaust port from the engine. Could the oil problem be caused by one of the adjustments i made? Or, is it a sign of something wrong with the engine that just happened to show up after the work i've done? Maybe the smoke was an indicator that the oil problem was about to start?

Any opinions guys? I really appreciate your help,if it wasnt for the advice i've got so far i'd be lost. Im VERY new to bikesLOL

Maxx

I'm afraid it is in need of a re-bore. Oil is getting past the rings and what doesn't burn goes into the exhaust. You can usually get all the parts you need on ebay, piston, rings and pin for cheap. Getting the hole drilled is the expensive part but worth it. If the bore is stock, you should probably go .50 over size on the piston.

Just remember, DO NOT use Silicone seal on your engine. That stuff is death to motorcycle engines because little bits come loose and lodge in the oil orfices. No oil = no cam, no cylinder head and big $ to fix.

If you don't have a manual, get one. It will save you much time and grief. To save yourself from having to do this again, kick the engine through to TDC after a ride to close all the valves. This eliminates the possibility of water vapor getting into the cylinder and pitting/rusting it.

Anything else I forgot?

Dave