Sign in to follow this  

Aluminum Tank on Husaberg

Ok so I was just watching S1 supermoto on Speed and I noticed that the Husabergs had aluminum tanks (I dont know if any other bikes did I just noticed the bergs.). Why are they Aluminum? I wouldn't think that they were for weight reduction. I remember when Jeremy McGrath had one on his KTM right before he retired, but I cant remember why. Could someone please Explain this to me, Thanx

I have a full race VOR 530 that has a factory "works" aluminum alloy fuel tank on it....

Factory race bikes some times have aluminum fuel tanks to allow custom modifications to to size and/or shape of the tank to fit a number of possible situations....such as, need for more or less fuel, to fit a riders style/to fit the rider, to change the airbox and/or carb set up .....a number of reasons...

These custom fuel tanks are made in small numbers out of alloy because making them from plastic is very expensive ( molds are mega $$$$)....also, they can be modified by simply cut and weld as needed.....

Some of the factory Husqvarnas have Titanium custom tanks and/or air boxes...many factory bikes have special made carbon fiber tanks (my Benelli has a carbon tank).....

:thumbsup:

Excuse my english now but...

In sweden people use the aluminium tank because its thinner between your legs and its said to be easier to grip with your knees!

NO.....but it will keep the fuel fresher longer ( plastic tanks loose the high grade volitales of the fuel faster than a metal tank....)....

Plus an alloy tank has that trick "works" look to it, not that cheap plastic look....... :thumbsup:

NO? yeah.. Im sure the trick look is what they are trying to achive, I guess fuel can go stale before the end of a race too (Hahaha!)

aluminium does transfer thermal changes quicker than plastic so there would be an air-cooling benifit as well as it would reflect sunlight while on the grid.

A number of factory bikes were experimenting with cooling chambers on the bikes to cool the fuel before it goes into the engine ( as a means to get more power)....some of these systems would be packed with dry ice before a race, and the fuel line would pass through the chamber and be cooled prior to hitting the carb/injectors.......

The weight, complexity and small performance gains made the systems that were tried deemed as not worth the while.........

An interesting idea....this cooling of the fuel/fuel-air charge is seen in may internal combustion modes, and has been applied at various times over the years by private, corperate, and military dedpts searching for an edge.....

Ok so I was just watching S1 supermoto on Speed and I noticed that the Husabergs had aluminum tanks (I dont know if any other bikes did I just noticed the bergs.). Why are they Aluminum?

They are aluminum because it's easier to make a one-off (or in this case, twelve-off) fabrication in aluminum rather than mold it out of plastic. The factory Supermoto tanks are made by Omero Moto in Italy, and they are smaller and narrower than stock. And yes, I think they look great too :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Brett Saunders