Sign in to follow this  

aftermarket Exhaust opinions drz400sm

Just do a good ol' search on yoshimura/Muzzy/FMF and you will turn up some good threads that will yeild the info you need! But most open pipes will turn more heads than the stocker, IMHO go for the HP+TQ rather than upsetting the neighbours :-)

Seriously go for the FMF powercore 4 and the powerbomb header pipe. I have removed the spark arrestor and I set off car alarms.

I have also had to rejet. My main jet is 178.

This exhaust sounds awesome and performs like a dream.

let me rephrase the question..... a good, CHEAP exhaust. i found a new yosh for about 400 new. thats why i ask. any of the fmf or muzzy around that price?

i have the rs3 full system on my sm.the SA is out and it to will set off car alarms and make everyone turn there head.but the best is what burned said

btw-i am very happy with my choice :thumbsup:

that is way to rich.
That's what I was thinking.

:thumbsup:

I have a Yoshi slip-on on my E and a Full FMF Ti system with a Powerbomb header on my SM. I've gotta say that, just judging from the looks of the can, the Yoshi seems to be a better quality item. Sounds a little better too.Had a Yoshi RS3 with Ti sleeve can on my ol' Bandit too. Yoshi makes good schtuff.

Is the Yosh RS3 a mild pipe noise wise? I need a new pipe as well but don't want it to be too loud. And do they sell these bundled with the correct jets anywhere? THat's a noob question I'm sure.

THanks

EDIT: Wow I just checked some prices on the RS3, it's pretty expensive. Can you guys recommend a pipe in the $500.00 range that gets good power, not super loud, and looks good. I want to just do the airbox mod, pipe and rejet.

THanks.

I ordered the RS3 from the store here at Thumpertalk for 425.00 shipped. Should be here today.

The RS3 is loud as fawk. If you want queit or even a little quiet this thing is not for you. You can literally hear it a mile away as I rode it about a mile away and people back inside the house said they could still hear me. Of course you can put a TEC insert in the newer models but then you loose power and the older ones like mine you can't put it in. One of my friends that rides ATV's likes loud stuff usually and says it is way too loud. It hurts my ears if I'm around it without a helmet but with a helmet it is not too bad.

Do you guys have any recommendations on a quieter pipe that has similar power? I guess I was looking at the wrong price on that RS-3 in my book.

If I was to buy the RS-3 comp series and run it with the insert, Which would I need to buy. I have a 06 DR-Z400SM. It seems Yoshi makes a model for the 400s and 400e? Which would be better for me?

Thanks Guys.

I have to agree the RS3 is a loud pipe compared to stock but I just put one on my 05 SM and even though louder not that bad, still need to do my jetting to get it dialed in though, looking at the JD jetting but nothing for the SM, will have to send him an email to see if he can put one togther. You can pick up an RS-3 on ebay from a dealer for around 400. Good luck. Yosh makes awsome pipes had full ti on all my road racing bikes.

Can you tell me which model you bought for your SM. Was it the one for the 400s or 400e, is there a difference?

THanks

I bought the S model and it bolted up like a champ only thing is that for the muffler it has a funky braket that part of it you don't use so you can cut it off or bend it in. Serious though fit perfect.

And yes I believe there is a diffrence between the S and the E, BURNED might be able to answer that better than I.