From Chester County looking for good legal trail riding

Me and a buddy of mine from Pa bought some Honda Trx400's and are looking for areas within an hour or two for some trail riding! Have ridden down near the Philly Air port but looking for legal place in Jersey or some place else to have some fun! Let me know - John

Hi,

Here are a few that you have to pay for:

New Jersey Off-Road Vehicle Park http://www.njorvp.org/

Blue Diamond MX Park http://www.bluediamondpark.com/index2.htm

Rausch Creek http://www.rauschcreekracing.com/rcmp/index.php

All of these would be an hour or two from you I would think. I've haven't been to Blue Diamond or Rausch creek yet, but the NJORVP is nice, especially if you like sand (both soft and hard). The tracks are groomed well (most of the time) and fairly safe for all riding levels (tabletops, etc.) They even have some one-way single track.

Im from Chester County, Where are you?

Downingtown area, where do you ride? Is it legal or illegal?

I live in the Phoenixville Area and usually ride up at Tower City, (TRTR) which is a few miles north of Pottsville (not Pottstown). It is about a 90 minute drive from our area. It's pretty cheap but you have to join for the year, about 250 for a family membership for the year. There is plenty of good camping around and reasonable motels along 81 so its not a bad investment to make, if you are going to do a lot of riding. They hold the AMA national Hare Scramble every year at Tower City and it has everything, coal pits, hill climbs, single track, wide open lanes. It is very family friendly and they are all good people. Folks come from as far away as WV and Ohio because it is so good. There is also free riding nearby where guys meet at the Mt Clair Wal-Mart but you have to know the route. There are also two local enduro clubs, Brandywine and Valley Forge, that sponsor hare scrambles and enduros. If you show up at their meetings, you can probably hook up with some of them for group rides, and they can let you know the super secret places locally. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of legal stuff within Chester County unless you know a farmer or someone with a lot of land. I have seen guys riding around Oaks and the Valley Forge condo complex, but I am too old to get busted. South Jersey is a short time proposition with areas due to expire soon so ride over there while you have a chance. It is getting so bad in Chesco that I drive all the way to French Creek even to go mountain biking.

PM me about the Airport stuff. I have heard about it but would love to hook up with someone who knows the area well. Also, when the weather gets better, I can get you in on a one day pass at Tower City so you can decide if it is something you are interested in. I just winterized my bikes so I probably won't get back up there until President's Day Weekend, provided the weather is ok for 2 wheelers. (Ice is scary on a dirt bike).

Downingtown area, where do you ride? Is it legal or illegal?

Lol, I used to go to school at bishop shanahan. I'm super close man, yeah I own 700+ acres. We should ride sometime...How old are you?

I'd like to get more info on Tower City before I join. Are there alot of trails? and does it get really crowded? I'm looking for places to ride with my family(wife, ten year old daughter and seven year old son). any info would be great. I've been to the web site, it didn't give much info on the trails.

Craz Drtrider17, how you feeling? I was reading about your crash at Blue.Hope your back on the bike.

John

Tower city isn't too bad, but overall all the guys that I ride with said they wouldn't join after our first day up there. The main complaint was the overabundance of rocks, and the poor soil (typical coal dust type of terrain, very little loam). I didn't think it was that bad, but the three other guys (total of three MX bikes and one Quad, gave it a thumbs down.

We went on a weekday back in May, (Tuesday I think), and basically almost had our run of the place. I think we saw about 6 other people the whole day. I have been told during peak season on a weekend, it can get a little crowded.

As far as Chester County....I used to live in Chadds Ford, and unless you know a Farmer or two, forget about riding. Chester County is getting way overbuilt, and is becoming the new Delaware County. I now live in Northern Delaware, and I ride at Blue Diamond Park, sometimes go up to Rausch Creek, and also Paragon. I have ridden in New Jersey, but everything outside of an MX track is ILLEGAL, and in some areas you can get fined/impounded. This general area of the country is getting way too built up, and us Dirt bike guys are suffering. There used to be a lot of areas in Jersey to ride, but the typical "little Johnny got hurt on his dirt bike, and now Mommy wants to sue" have killed riding there. Just this summer I got to ride at Fort Mott (near Pennsville??) I think, and of course it is now off limits because of a few idiots littering, leaving torched abandoned cars, and just acting like imbeciles. It was a great place to ride.

I don't like to sound so negative, but as a 41 year old guy who just got back into ridng (last April) after a 16 year layoff, I can tell you that finding areas to ride without either paying, or riding illegally is getting harder to find every day.

700 hundred acres? need someone to remove all those rats with antlers ?

Tower City is great for families. I ride my TTR 250 with my 9 year old (CFR 50, soon to be KLX110), and my 11 year old on a CRF 80. You coul ride every weekend in a summer and not cover all the trails. They have a designated family loop which is great and group rides every weekend. A lot of the families actually camp there at Tower City and have some pretty wild setups (5th wheel campers, satellite Tv, etc). It's NE PA so there is a fair share of rocky technical stuff. All of it is passable even on a pedestrian TTR if you have reasonable skills (it can be tough on a 50, but believe me he gets around it). There are coal pits with hill climbs and groomed trails, a kid's mini track, some great stuff going up around a wooded ridge line, a huge hill that is about 6 highway lanes wide to open it up, all clearly marked with friendly people, if you have a breakdown, etc. The only time it gets even mildly hairy is on big holiday weekends, but even then just get out early. It is well policed and the management reserves the right to yank your membership if you do stupid stuff. The regulars who are up there are just great, and will give you the shirt off their back.

My kids have been skiing and snow boarding at some of the best resorts, horseback riding at dude ranches, and have access to a beach house all summer with a boat and jet ski. If you give them a choice as to where they would want to spend a weekend, Tower City wins hands down. The only drawback is that the coal dust sticks like glue and you, your truck and bikes will come back dirtier than you can even imagine.

If you want to check it out, PM me the first good weather report after Presiden't Day and you can check it out on a day pass. But at 300 bucks for a family for an annual membership, and three people riding, it pays for itself in one weekend of driving

700 acres to ride on in Cesco! You are a good guy to know. I am 40, but I will ride with any age. My kids are young (9 & 11) so I am used to riding at their pace, but if I have to step it up to keep up with some teenager, so be it, I have good insurance and will sign a waiver promising not to sue you.

Tower city isn't too bad, but overall all the guys that I ride with said they wouldn't join after our first day up there. The main complaint was the overabundance of rocks, and the poor soil (typical coal dust type of terrain, very little loam). I didn't think it was that bad, but the three other guys (total of three MX bikes and one Quad, gave it a thumbs down.

don't give up so early, Tower City is huge with trails that connect all the away to Hazleton if you hook up with a savy rider. But basically, it is NE PA so you are going to have rocks and coal dust

We went on a weekday back in May, (Tuesday I think), and basically almost had our run of the place. I think we saw about 6 other people the whole day. I have been told during peak season on a weekend, it can get a little crowded.

this is true. On a weekday, it's usually all yours. On weekends, particulalry holiday weekends, its best to get early

As far as Chester County....I used to live in Chadds Ford, and unless you know a Farmer or two, forget about riding. Chester County is getting way overbuilt, and is becoming the new Delaware County. I now live in Northern Delaware, and I ride at Blue Diamond Park, sometimes go up to Rausch Creek, and also Paragon. I have ridden in New Jersey, but everything outside of an MX track is ILLEGAL, and in some areas you can get fined/impounded. This general area of the country is getting way too built up, and us Dirt bike guys are suffering. There used to be a lot of areas in Jersey to ride, but the typical "little Johnny got hurt on his dirt bike, and now Mommy wants to sue" have killed riding there. Just this summer I got to ride at Fort Mott (near Pennsville??) I think, and of course it is now off limits because of a few idiots littering, leaving torched abandoned cars, and just acting like imbeciles. It was a great place to ride.

I don't like to sound so negative, but as a 41 year old guy who just got back into ridng (last April) after a 16 year layoff, I can tell you that finding areas to ride without either paying, or riding illegally is getting harder to find every day.

All too true, I am your same age and good riding areas, are real jewels. That's why you shouldn't give up so quick on TC, it really is a rare place. The People's Republic of Jersey is out of control. God help us if the yuppies develop every inch of the Pineys and decide that PA Coal country is the next hip area.

I am 30 and you? Send me a private message and maybe my buds and i could hook up with you for some riding!!

Kopride,

Yeah, I haven't given up on Tower City, but unfortunately my riding buddies didn't like it. I thought they were being too critical of the rocks, etc. We mainly have MX bikes, but a couple ride Quads. I think they got spoiled from remembering the old days when you could ride in New Jersey and South Eastern, PA., and even the local construction sites, woods, etc. Those days are unfortunately gone.....too much sprawl, and Yuppies buying $ 800,000 homes gobbling up Farmland, and complaining about noise.

I am actually off work today and wanted to hit Blue Diamond Park, but in typical fashion, it is so waterlogged that it is closed. The guys who run the earth-movers there laughed when I called about conditions, saying it was so bad they couldn't even manuever their equipment on it!

Lol, I used to go to school at bishop shanahan. I'm super close man, yeah I own 700+ acres. We should ride sometime...How old are you?

Sorry i added coments in the wrong place. Get in touch with me! We would love to blaze some new trails or ride some of yours! Where is your land? We will sign whatever wavers you need us to!!

700 acres to ride on in Cesco! You are a good guy to know. I am 40, but I will ride with any age. My kids are young (9 & 11) so I am used to riding at their pace, but if I have to step it up to keep up with some teenager, so be it, I have good insurance and will sign a waiver promising not to sue you.

My thoughts exactly!!! Let us know buddy!!

Sorry i added coments in the wrong place. Get in touch with me! We would love to blaze some new trails or ride some of yours! Where is your land? We will sign whatever wavers you need us to!!

Also im 30yrs old Sunday if it matters!

I live in Northern Delaware, am 41 years old, and if anyone wants to get together to ride in the Delaware, Pa., New Jersey and surrounding areas let me know. I just called Blue Diamond today to ride, and found out the track is closed due to excessive water...

i grew up in Downingtown...85 grad....700 acres?????? geez man....invite in the mail?...lol

Okay, the land is rented by my father for hunting. The land owners live in florida and talked to me about riding. I have 100% of the land to do as I like, jumps/trails/ext. We are building a SMALL track now...We would build one bigger but we don't have the equipment. Only 4 wheelers and shovels. Still have a good number of jumps on the land. It is mostly fields with a patch of woods. There are also other islands of woods that are nicley sized. Are track is in one of them, there is some elevation change and some fun stuff. The land is 100% mine to do as i see fit with...Hunting is a no-no. Myself, father, and uncles have taken that spot quickly. If people would lioke to ride PM me, I would have to be there, fathers rules. <stealing, vandelism, the works> but we would lose each other anyway. just pm me and we can set up a day, im always looking for people to ridfe with!

West Chester area, close to Kennett.