2005 TC-450 Valves

I got a big laugh the other Night.....................

After checking my Wife's CRF250X ,which has about $600 worth of aftermarket Valvetrain since Honda dropped the Ball, and adjusting/re-shimming it back to spec...................

I figured I would check the Husky as it's got 100-150 Miles since I last checked the Valves..................

Damn! They have not moved....not even a little bit!

You have no idea how cool that is after all the issues with the 3 CRF250x's!

WORD OF CAUTION!

Although the Sealing Washers on the Valve Cover appear to be "Stuck" in place.......be careful! I almost dropped one of them into the Motor, instead, it fell down into the Skid Plate! Got lucky there! Probably best to "pop" those off and set them aside BEFORE you remove the Valve Cover!

Also......watch out for the dirt that collects behind the Waterpump housing...don't let it fall into the Head!

2400 miles my valves have not moved!

That's what I like to hear!

The Honda ended up being fitted with Pro Circuit parts which have lasted over a Year of Racing including 2 of the BITD Events.

I think the only reason they moved on the "A" Bike was due to a bit of Dirt getting past the Filter.

The other 2 CRF's were disasters!

One I got rid of, the other is on the 2nd go-round with Stainless Valves (which is like putting Bias Ply Tires on a Ferrari)

I almost WANT to adjust the HUsky's Valves because it's so dang easy! (the Honda requires that you remove the Cam to adjust the Intakes)

Damn! I dig my Husqvarna!

My valves are still inspect after only 900+ miles.

But! The Rod, Crank, Piston, Cylinder and misc. are in the trash.

And now the Tranny is Apart. ?

Some A-Hole has Started a rumor at D37 that the reason for the engine failure was that I ran low on oil. They can Kiss My ASS.

Some A-Hole has Started a rumor at D37 that the reason for the engine failure was that I ran low on oil. They can Kiss My ASS.

At least you don't have Valve Problems!

Is this all warranty covered?

I'll bet if it was a Honda they would not warranty anything!

Hope to see you back on the Husky soon!

A little FYI on Ti valves. From what I have been able to gather, there are two ways to make Ti valves;

1: Welded, most Ti valves are made by welding a machined washer to a rod and machining that into a valve. The welding softens the parent material and the weld itself is presumably inferior to the parent material so you get a still expensive medocre quality valve, looks good, light yada yada yada. This is where the nighmares such as the 04 husky and the 03 KTM 450SX valves as well as Red, green & yellow bikes starts.

2: Take a large piece of rod and turn it down in a lathe to get the shape we need. Very expensive!!

Del West is one of the producers of valves using plan 2: The 05 husky, I beleive the Husky replacement valves for the 04? and the Pro-Circut valves are to the best of my knowledge all the Del West.

A wild guess would be that KTMs EXC valve cost them $12 to $15 each and the Del West Husky valve more like $75. Multiply that times 4 and it tells us how hard Husky is trying to regain the US market confidence! Note, KTMs Ti which is only in SX models has also been pretty good since their 03 fiasco.

A little FYI on Ti valves. From what I have been able to gather, there are two ways to make Ti valves;

1: Welded, most Ti valves are made by welding a machined washer to a rod and machining that into a valve. The welding softens the parent material and the weld itself is presumably inferior to the parent material so you get a still expensive medocre quality valve, looks good, light yada yada yada. This is where the nighmares such as the 04 husky and the 03 KTM 450SX valves as well as Red, green & yellow bikes starts.

2: Take a large piece of rod and turn it down in a lathe to get the shape we need. Very expensive!!

Del West is one of the producers of valves using plan 2: The 05 husky, I beleive the Husky replacement valves for the 04? and the Pro-Circut valves are to the best of my knowledge all the Del West.

A wild guess would be that KTMs EXC valve cost them $12 to $15 each and the Del West Husky valve more like $75. Multiply that times 4 and it tells us how hard Husky is trying to regain the US market confidence! Note, KTMs Ti which is only in SX models has also been pretty good since their 03 fiasco.

Your info on the Del West Valves is correct as far as Pro Circuit and Husky.

I am sure that at least SOME of the Del West Valves are 2 Piece inertia welded construction. Hot Rod Magazine had a cool article about it a few Months ago.

Thats what I heard, I also heard if it wasn't for your profesional pit crew at V to R you would have only made it 50 miles instead 250...