Whats the fascination with pit bikes?

I disagree ....

That may be so but your disagreement has no merit, we DID learn to ride that level of bike as KIDS and you own one NOW. You still got rid of a faster and more challenging dirtbike to get something slower and easier, except unlike you alot of us kept our faster bikes. Most riders of 250Fs are either young teenagers or females. So I guess you either sunk alot of money into a kids bike or a chicks bike..pick your poison ?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That may be so but your disagreement has no merit, we DID learn to ride that level of bike as KIDS and you own one NOW. You still got rid of a faster and more challenging dirtbike to get something slower and easier, except unlike you alot of us kept our faster bikes. Most riders of 250Fs are either young teenagers or females. So I guess you either sunk alot of money into a kids bike or a chicks bike..pick your poison ?

I agree with your theory but i almost have to disagree with a 250f being easier to ride. Yes its easy to ride becuase it has less power, but its harder to turn out the lap times and get over jumps right out of corners and stuff. I find a 450 easier to ride becuase of all the power, barely every have to shift, and theres no worrying about not getting a run at a jump. But a 450 is a little harder to ride in the aspect that its a little heavier and with all the power it can get away from you.

actually big bikes don't cost much to maintain escpecially if you do the work yourself.

I have to disagree with this. If you are out racing (which if someone was putting as much as you say they are into a Pitbike I hope they would be) you are tearing things up quicker and replacement parts (including oil, tires, chain, etc) are cheaper, making Pit bikes cheaper to run.

Now I myself don't see putting 6-7 grand (but that is me and I don't put down anyone who does), but putting 1-2 grand in it I can see (making it rideable for an adult and hoping up the power a little). Most people upgrade their big bikes with new exhaust, get the suspension set up right (springs and oils), etc (add ons here and there) which run up to a $1000 easily.

At the same time we are looking for a KLX125 or CRF150 or something a little smaller so that we too can ride with my step son on his 50 easier.

First off, why would you give a shit how someone else spends their money. It's none of your damn business.

As for me. I'm rebuilding a 73 Z50 that I bought my son when he was 6 months old. I bought it as a basket case then and rebuilt it for him. I just got it back from a barn on my ex's inlaws place for free. It's sentimental, and fun, and I could give a shit what you think of it.

Im sure Langston and Brown are girls for riding in the 125 Class huh? ... Lap times verify that there is very little speed advantage to owning a 450. Races are won in the corners, not in the straights. If the 250F corners better, which it does, so be it , thats what I'll ride. Lots of people are faster on their 250F than they were riding their big bikes. Sometimes too much power is a bad thing.

I thought pitbikes were silly but nothing more.. thats before I needed a pitbike at races for getting arround, and being a collector too I opted for a 1985 XL80s (mini-dualsport)

shortly after riding it arround a bit I realized it was more fun than I remembered, the last mini I had was when I was a mini. it lacked in the suspension so I went looking for an XR100R, now I have 4 of them for me and my friends/family and race them more than my big bikes!

Im not sure about the "50s" because I like the 80s and 100s so much I havnt tried a 50 (I should say a new 50 because I have an elsinore MR50 in my collection) I think the pitbike 50s are too small for what I want, just like the YSR50 I cramed a CR250 engine in and 2g worth of suspension upgrades only to learn it was too small no matter what I did to it.

I think alot of you 50 bashers are the same ones who go out and buy the biggest and baddest to make up for your riding abilites, never works because theres always guys on 125s and 250s that serve up your humble pie consistantly, even worse (for you) I do it on a 100.

the ones who are saying its the wusses on the 50s, they are actually the wusses, thats why they say that, it makes them feel good about themselves just like buying way more bike than they can ever hope to ride near its limit, they know it..

its too bad most people that ride dont ride just for the pure fun of riding, they ride to be cool, sadly these are the ones who get hurt alot or worse. hopefully many here will outgrow their ego and find out what riding is really all about, FUN!

theres an old saying "its more fun to go fast on a slow bike than to go slow on a fast bike" it couldnt be more true. if your not up front on your bike do yourself a big favor, get a slower bike and start over, untill then you will and allways will be a poser!

Im sure Langston and Brown are girls for riding in the 125 Class huh? ... Lap times verify that there is very little speed advantage to owning a 450. Races are won in the corners, not in the straights. If the 250F corners better, which it does, so be it , thats what I'll ride. Lots of people are faster on their 250F than they were riding their big bikes. Sometimes too much power is a bad thing.

They are not girls, they get paid to ride and ride well, you however paid money for a bike that is more commonly sold to teenagers and chicks off the showroom floor. You still traded down to a less powerful machine so you could eventually have more fun which is no different than what alot of guys do with pitbikes.

You sir, are an idiot. Do you have any idea how many 250f's there are in the vet 30+ and 40+ classes? Shoot, my soon to be father-in-law rides a yz125 and he is 40. Give me a break man, comparing a 125 class bike to a pit bike is simply ignorant!

Wow, looonng thread. Don't really get the hatred of minis. I ride every weekend at pay tracks in So.Cal on my KX450. I bring my chinese knock-off (extreem cr11,125cc,12"wheels) thats probably got about $2500 total into so far. Ride a few moto's on the big track, do a moto on the mini track. I'm a ex-pro who rides vet-inter now, so I not a total goon out there. Minis are all fun, no poser wierd crap that some imply. Its a whole different thing cause your limited by suspension, power, size. When your limited like that and you add a few other riders with the same limitations, the fun factor goes off the charts. Sure, spending a fortune is questionable. To each his own. Life is short - Have fun!!! ?

I believe that the "deal" with the pit bike craze is that people have fun riding, and I agree with majority of the people when they say they are fun. Unlike most of you, I didn't have the luxury of growing up on MX bikes. When you were learning how to ride, I was learning how to throw a fastball, etc. Now, since I'm grown and can afford my own hobbies, I choose pitbikes. Justification to pump endless amount of money into a little bike, I don't know if there is any other than the need for speed, and fun while doing so. When you first purchase it, it's fun, but then the jumps get bigger, and so we need to have a little more. And like we all agree, it's not like we go to the dealer and say "I want all of this on it right now"! It just adds up over time, as does riding a big bike. They say you are supposed to rebuild your top end after so many hours, is that cheap? i think not. I ride a KLX 110, which isn't made for a 5 year old kid, more like a 10 year old, but I can tell you this much, I've traveled all over the US playing baseball in the most prestigious parks in the nation, and I can honestly say that I have never had as much fun in my life as I've had on my pitbike. I'm 6' 200 lbs, and when I owned a crf 50, my back would kill after every ride, even with the $3,300 worth of upgrades, but I still rode like hell every weekend out of pure enjoyment, until I was forced to upgrade to the 110, since then, my back is money, and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't smile when I think about riding my pitbike. To the individual that stated "why don't they by a kx60, or 65", well, that isn't a pitbike, and not to mention they are louder then hell, and the neighbors don't appreciate the noise, not to mention the upkeep. With a 50 or a 110, basically change the oil, and fill with gas, and that's it. What is better than cheap fun? I can't think of anything. I have two good friends that used to ride big bikes, one was in a wheel chair after casing a jump at Milleville, and the other can't squeeze his hand after going down in corner, just a small mental mistake and your entire life is over as you've known it. Daring? Or just plain foolish, it's one thing to have fun riding with friends, but to never be able to ride anything again, or even spread butter over a piece of bread because of one little mental mistake? I think we all have valid points on this issue, but it all comes down to fun. Think of all the money that we have spent on foolish things in our lifetime, $300 on a night at the bar, with nothing but a headache, empty wallet and the 50 yard fakeout lying next to you in the morning, snowmobiles when in MN there isn't even enough snow to ride, all are foolish to some, but justified in the consumers mind, and that is all that matters, not what other people think about you, or if you look cool. In the end, the only question in life is was it fun? Did you live "your" life the way "you" wanted? As a pitbike rider, yes, I've done a lot in my lifetime, and two things I will not live without, my glove (baseball), and my pitbike. My last point will be this, when I eat off my pitbike, I will still be able to go to work on Monday, if you fall off your big bike, or case a 60 ft. gap, it's 50-50 whether or not you will. With a wife, a mortgage, and a laundry list of other bills, I can't afford to not go to work, or walk again, or write, or type, or any other hobbies that require motor skills. Good Luck everyone, and ride on...

I believe that pitbikes have a pupose as play bikes,kids bikes ,wifes bikes and probably a whole lot more uses than I can think of and the other thing I think alot of people can build small backyard tracks and run these around without pissing off the neighbors.

The OEM 150F's will kill the mini market IMO.

They dont care about the 150's. They like the look and the fun of the 50. They are tons of fun to ride. Grab a little 65 2 smoker and grab some throttle. They feel like there ripping cuase they are and your close to theground. Now the other side of it. The average hard working american can hardly swing getting a everday rider, let alone a pit bike. To each there own though.

I must agree 100% with this thread, I cant stand the mini bike craze. Everyone on every corner seems to have one. But the problem is there are so many fakes on the market which just makes them so much popular because of the price difference.... The thing i dont get is that where i ride at the little pricks have there own "MINI's" Track to ride on(Which we cant touch!). To be honest i think its wasted space and it should be used for a few nice triples for the big bikers !! Another thing is that these guys who ride these bikes, now im not saying its everyone, seem to think there pro motocross racers but i gaurentee if you give them a big bike to play on the REAL track they will either say no or a very scared ok yes...... Get my drift everyone?? Half these people (adults and kids alike) call themselves true dirtbikers when half of them ......

A) Have never riden a big bike

? To scared to give a big bike a go

C) Like the fact that if they floor it the front wheel wont go over backwards

D) Used to ride a dirt bike but found it too hard or didnt like the power

E) and E like the fact that they can never go faster then 50kmh or jump further then 20feet....

Just my 2 cents....

this cuts right to the heart of the matter. i agree that pitbikes are for spineless gay fraidy-cats.

mw

Obviously both of you don't know the kind of people that ride these bike and dont realize that our own TT Jetting Expert owns a little 50, DRZ, and one of the BADDEST CRF 450's on the planet https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331412&parentpage=2

I also have a "Burned Built" 99 KX 250 and a Pitster

I understand you guys dont like them, well thats your problem, get over it.

i dont get it either. but this guy was pretty good on one. http://video.motorcycle-usa.com/motorcycleUSA/pitster_pro-125x-1.wmv

i've heard they make u better at riding, because they are so underpowered u push them to the limit and learn how to win with skill and not just having the better bike. something like that. same with pocket bike racing.

Obviously both of you don't know the kind of people that ride these bike and dont realize that our own TT Jetting Expert owns a little 50, DRZ, and one of the BADDEST CRF 450's on the planet https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331412&parentpage=2

I also have a "Burned Built" 99 KX 250 and a Pitster

I understand you guys dont like them, well thats your problem, get over it.

Also McGrath races at a track somewhere. One of the videos we have shows him racing against a bunch of friends/ people. Now I guess he is a wimp/ sissy who is afraid of big bikes too.... ?