Painful Tech 8's

I finaly was able to afford a pair of white Tech 8's and I have a problem with the left boot :bonk: . The plastic air vent that sits above the pinky toe ball joint digs into my foot real bad. I thought they needed to be broke in so I dealt with it and 4 full race days later the left one still hurts ? . I screwed up thinking they needed to be broke in because now they are too used to return ? . I thought about taking them to a shoe repair shop to see if anything could be done. Also thought about getting rid of them and getting Garne10 instead. Has anyone else had this problem and what/how / if anything did you fix it?

Hey Hoffy,

I had the same problem with my SG10's. It took about 6-8 rides with them and that pinky toe area and ball going numb and tingly. It finally subsided, but I am not impressed one bit with my SG10's. 5 rides on them and the buckle receiver that the sliding adjuster goes in broke, 7 rides on them, and the ankle strap screw fell out, and on the 8th ride......

ChrisFootXray.jpg

Needless to say, the guys at the local dealership I got them from are probably gonna take them back and give me a credit on some Tech 10's...

I finaly was able to afford a pair of white Tech 8's and I have a problem with the left boot :bonk: . The plastic air vent that sits above the pinky toe ball joint digs into my foot real bad. I thought they needed to be broke in so I dealt with it and 4 full race days later the left one still hurts ? . I screwed up thinking they needed to be broke in because now they are too used to return ? . I thought about taking them to a shoe repair shop to see if anything could be done. Also thought about getting rid of them and getting Garne10 instead. Has anyone else had this problem and what/how / if anything did you fix it?
I had the exact same problem, I ended up selling them on eBay, I figured it was just something about the shape of my foot not being compatible with the Tech 8's. I tried a pair of Fox Forma Pro's and they were okay but didn't seem supportive enough for my bad ankles so I tried the Gaerne SG10's and couldn't be happier, they're super comfortable, very supportive and the buckle system is the most trouble free I've ever used. Chills, you're the only person I've ever come across that had *anything* bad to say about the SG10's, but then when my Tech 8's were hurting my feet so bad I couldn't walk after riding in them, *I* was the only person I'd ever seen with that complaint, so I guess we're lucky they're are lots of choices. If you decide to keep the Gaerne's, call them and tell them about the problem(s), they're a really great company and I'd bet they'll take care of it.

Thanks Matte,

I had thought about doing that. I know I hate being the only one sticking out saying something bad about the SG10's, but with everyone praising them, I bought them over the Tech 8/10 seeing I had worn out my Tech 6's..In which I didnt have any complaints about. Call it a spoof, I dont know...The guy at the Honda dealership said they wold take care of me....

Don't waste your time trying to break them in. I have a pair of tech 8s that I am using because my sidis are back at the factory for warranty. The tech 8s have always hurt my feet and still do. On my right foot, the outside of my foot just back from my pinky toe. I use them as back up and that is all. I was thinking of going to a ski shop and having the toe box expanded but haven't done it yet. I have quite a few rides on them and if anything they are getting worse. I used them for a month as my sidis were out and they started to hurt my feet so bad I didn't want to kick start my bike. I have been off the bike for three weeks now (due to a broken arm) and my feet still hurt. I sent them into alpinestars and they told me that this was due to normal wear. Sidis fall apart, alpinstars hurt my feet. Its hard to say what to do now. Good luck.

Don't waste your time trying to break them in. I have a pair of tech 8s that I am using because my sidis are back at the factory for warranty. The tech 8s have always hurt my feet and still do. On my right foot, the outside of my foot just back from my pinky toe. I use them as back up and that is all. I was thinking of going to a ski shop and having the toe box expanded but haven't done it yet. I have quite a few rides on them and if anything they are getting worse. I used them for a month as my sidis were out and they started to hurt my feet so bad I didn't want to kick start my bike. I have been off the bike for three weeks now (due to a broken arm) and my feet still hurt. I sent them into alpinestars and they told me that this was due to normal wear. Sidis fall apart, alpinstars hurt my feet. Its hard to say what to do now. Good luck.
That's the exact same spot that mine hurt and it was the right side only for me as well. I definitely don't buy that 'normal wear' explanation, it's the design of their boots; if you remove the bootie and reach in there with your hand you can feel a definite bulge caused by that plastic piece that's stitched to the boot on the outside. I guess it only bothers some people depending on the shape of your feet, but you're right, it can hurt a *lot* and only gets worse if you keep using them.

I went from Tech 6s to Tech 8s after 2 years on the 6s (gave them to my son). One thing I found with my size 12 wide glides is that with the Tech 6s I could fit in a size 12 comfortably with no problems. With the Tech 8s I had to buy 13s to get away from the toe pinch. I have been riding with them for 3 years now and have had them resoled once - they are very comfortable. The tops of them are now starting to get torn up so I am beginning to shop for some new ones. Thinking about Sidis, Gaernes, or maybe Tech 10s but need to go try them all on.

T-Diddy