Lets see your vintage ride

ktmoose465

Just now, JustinXR said:

You should try a thumper out, a good ole XT or TT. 

I might consider it. I'm a bit hooked on the enduro line and looks, but those are very similar of course. Those '77 TT500s have beautiful tanks. On the enduros I really like the metal fenders and exhaust style. 

To be honest though, I have a hard time resisting the urge to try and buy anything that comes across my FB Marketplace feed at a halfway imaginable price, even when I don't have much to spend. ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JustinXR said:

I have one of those TT500s. Theyre good for the street, i sort of dont like them as trail bikes. People make performance parts for them, a fully tricked out one running a monster cam and race gas is about on par with a stock xr650l. Pretty good for that style bike, 

Oh nice, I didn't see it on your bike page of course. I'm not picky about performance personally. I can't really be when I barely got a chance to ride the bike I had haha. Still enough time to get bitten with the bike bug though... I've mostly focused my searching efforts towards finding something reliable, vintage, and good looking. The CT seems to have a similar top speed to the RT and as far as I'm aware the main difference for enduros between a small and large engine is mostly acceleration. If I'm really lucky I'll find a way to keep the bike on campus, but THAT'S dreaming.

I just picked up a nice original one owner 1973 Yamaha CT-3 175 Enduro about 6 months ago.  I cleaned the carb and petcock and it fired up on the second kick. I had a surgery in July so I have not messed with the bike for a while. It has a rear flat tire, the tire is no good, so I bought a new tire, tube, and rim strap, just need to install it once my arm is strong enough. Then I will be able to ride it and make sure everything works as it should. I also own a 1970 Yamaha AT1-B 125 Enduro with electric start, it works but I just kick start it instead. The CT models are better because you do not have to have a battery for them to run, the AT models need a battery. I have always liked the old Yamaha Enduros since I was a kid on my 1974 Yamaha GT-80A Mini Enduro. They are perfect for riding around a college campus, back roads, and easy trails/dirt roads. Good luck finding a CT Enduro, prices are very high due to covid right now. I am always looking for nice old motorcycles from the 70's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gspartsguy said:

I just picked up a nice original one owner 1973 Yamaha CT-3 175 Enduro about 6 months ago.  I cleaned the carb and petcock and it fired up on the second kick. I had a surgery in July so I have not messed with the bike for a while. It has a rear flat tire, the tire is no good, so I bought a new tire, tube, and rim strap, just need to install it once my arm is strong enough. Then I will be able to ride it and make sure everything works as it should. I also own a 1970 Yamaha AT1-B 125 Enduro with electric start, it works but I just kick start it instead. The CT models are better because you do not have to have a battery for them to run, the AT models need a battery. I have always liked the old Yamaha Enduros since I was a kid on my 1974 Yamaha GT-80A Mini Enduro. They are perfect for riding around a college campus, back roads, and easy trails/dirt roads. Good luck finding a CT Enduro, prices are very high due to covid right now. I am always looking for nice old motorcycles from the 70's.

A bunch of my friends had the entire DT line of bikes.  Cool bikes & Yamaha quality.  In fact, I still have (2)   '77 DT-250's.  I've had them for about 15 years & they're just waiting for my attention.  I'm not a collector OR a hoarder so I plan on selling them when they're ready.  

Edited by motoxvet
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, gspartsguy said:

Another great thing to consider about the CTs is that they have the same size frame as the AT but of course more power, so their power/weight is really good. I didn't know about the battery thing, now I like them even more haha. I've got one I have a good chance at right now. Looks good for $1000, but it needs a few cheap things to be complete. Want ads are the best...

Fingers crossed that it looks as good coming out of storage as it did in this old pic.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2020 at 6:54 PM, 73HondaSL125 said:

Another great thing to consider about the CTs is that they have the same size frame as the AT but of course more power, so their power/weight is really good. I didn't know about the battery thing, now I like them even more haha. I've got one I have a good chance at right now. Looks good for $1000, but it needs a few cheap things to be complete. Want ads are the best...

124260099_797126187514034_3429840745587940465_n.thumb.jpg.86abe5efe26f85e1e0aba215f484bac5.jpg

Fingers crossed that it looks as good coming out of storage as it did in this old pic.

Depends on how long she was in storage, I would guess the tires are cracked by now, the frame and engine are dirty, and she needs a carb rebuild, check for mice chewin through wires. Lets hope she comes out as good. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So, after looking for quite a while this is what I eventually got. As you can see it is neither a Honda XL250 or a Yamaha enduro (what I was looking for), but it sure is a great bike. Has a Wombat engine, but a Ace 100 B+ frame. Very simple engine swap (done by previous owner) and generally a well taken care of bike, unlike my last which was rough. Gonna convert the headlight to LED because:

a) It's a 6v system so probably quite weak...

b) My dad accidentally burnt up the filament today testing on a car battery, so I have no choice. ?

20201128_120502.jpg.13d8f73c9ba6701e447c46e2b4ce3ac4.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, 73HondaSL125 said:

So, after looking for quite a while this is what I eventually got. As you can see it is neither a Honda XL250 or a Yamaha enduro (what I was looking for), but it sure is a great bike. Has a Wombat engine, but a Ace 100 B+ frame. Very simple engine swap (done by previous owner) and generally a well taken care of bike, unlike my last which was rough. Gonna convert the headlight to LED because:

a) It's a 6v system so probably quite weak...

b) My dad accidentally burnt up the filament today testing on a car battery, so I have no choice. ?

20201128_120502.jpg.13d8f73c9ba6701e447c46e2b4ce3ac4.jpg

As suggested, check on a new throttle cable but get the universal type that has the cable exit the assembly along the bars instead of straight ahead.  Throttle assemblies aren't that expensive

• Like 1

11 hours ago, motoxvet said:

As suggested, check on a new throttle cable but get the universal type that has the cable exit the assembly along the bars instead of straight ahead.  Throttle assemblies aren't that expensive

Ah thanks for the advice guys. Didn't think of that yet, I haven't taken it out anywhere yet so it hasn't had the chance to get caught on something. I can't just ziptie it down and readjust it?

Got my 82’ Husky 430 cr project. Finally looking through what I need to get it running and moving on it. Too many projects.  I’m doing an accounting of what is needed.  It’s been sitting as a project for a couple years now..After seeing what I need Im wondering how much to go in with this. I bought it with a variety of issues and it’s going to cost more than I originally planned.What else is new .. ?  All project bikes are that way most times right..? Anyway a friend will be doing all or more of the work. He’s an ace mechanic so everything will go faster and better. I got plenty work with the other bikes I have to catch up too.  Anyway  Here’s some of the ugly before. It’s got some trick for it’s time parts but I see some money waving goodbye. That’s ok. It’s still cheaper than brand new bikes though..

This is a 430 cr. It’s got a Fox fork and pro circuit rear fender and dual cam yz 465 front brakesetc..   I used to raced a new 82’ 430xc for a few years from 82’ and on. I loved that bike and it was super reliable and easy to ride and it was fast. It was a one bike ride and race everything. 

CCF7100B-5085-4847-802C-673F0D114518.jpeg

759031B9-1E98-42DB-A6D7-336410883D5E.jpeg

EEA34AE1-3C1F-4A7C-9265-C9420EC0B44A.jpeg

C68B21DE-79EA-4BE2-AC98-F724241FAF26.jpeg

787885BE-3657-4F53-87DF-86B0947722CA.jpeg

4E0EF070-6819-4063-A765-4A108DEBA2CF.jpeg

B359D023-5B2C-45DA-9618-32829CE58D58.jpeg

A8714E31-7B7B-48AF-88A6-C1183DFA7A1A.jpeg

A731EE2E-C061-480C-A19C-398721AC9E29.jpeg

34337761-67D9-464F-990B-819EC88E2149.jpeg

7E4BE5EE-69E3-4854-A8A9-2A5D7D7A362F.jpeg

E45E910F-8068-485D-B434-825221229BDF.jpeg

E6F25E13-B116-4568-A45A-C77D9BB3BBCA.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, JustinXR said:

Good God that carburetor looks disgusting, god speed my man, good luck on that bike! ?

Yup I figured as such. I got the bike mostly together but missing a variety of parts.. It was a sort of trick bike but then it looks like it got ravaged as a parts bike after it broke but it must have been like this in the carb for many years. So carb overhaul was expected. Parts get dropped in the carb gunk degreaser and it all gets melted off. A bit of cleaning and see whats there. Or just buy a carb too. I gotta compare what makes better sense depending on what is available. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1