ktmoose465

Lets see your vintage ride

I finally got the chance to race my XT/TT 500 this weekend at the Oakhill Texas Vintage Racing Club event. I won both my motos and had a blast.

Img_0948_sm.jpg

Img_0954_sm.jpg

Img_0957_sm.jpg

Congrats, nice looking track and bike. Is that a stock tank? What part of the bike is TT and XT?

The bike is mostly 78 XT500. The frame and motor are XT500. The swing arm, forks, rear brake stay, and down pipe "style" aftermarket pipe are TT500 parts. Also, I ditched all the street electrics made a TT500 wiring harness from scratch. It was easier than it sounds, one wire with 4 connectors.

BTW, the tank is a '78 xt tank stripped of paint and graphics and polished by hand using Mother's aluminum wheel polish. It was surprisingly easy to get that mirror finish. However, it won't stay unless you protect it with a clear vinyl decal or clear coat. Since those too will scratch up under regular MX conditions, I just let it dull and polish it whenever I want to show it off.

I want to do the same to my 1998 XT350 tank. I am too scared to bead blast it though fearing under that paint there is bondo or frankenstien seams. It's stock and never been altered, I just thought it would look cool. I also fear the glare I might get occasionally like my Harley gets me sometimes with the speedo cover. Does that happen to you often? Any newer XT owners try stripping the tank to find out what's under there? Cool bike and glad to see it's getting good use.

I want to do the same to my 1998 XT350 tank. I am too scared to bead blast it though fearing under that paint there is bondo or frankenstien seams. It's stock and never been altered, I just thought it would look cool. I also fear the glare I might get occasionally like my Harley gets me sometimes with the speedo cover. Does that happen to you often? Any newer XT owners try stripping the tank to find out what's under there? Cool bike and glad to see it's getting good use.

If I remember right, that XT350 has a STEEL tank not aluminum your not going to blast it unless you like rust.

Its a very nice looking XT, i put some progressives on the rear of mine and ended up with the height u have there. Didnt bother me as at 6'1 its still okay in height. I need to change some valve seals and i should be good to go.

The progressives I have on there now are 16" eye to eye. I like the resulting seat height and steering geometry. I am 5'11" and I can flat foot both feet while sitting in the middle of the seat.

I was worried about chain tension at full extension. The counter sprocket is pretty far from the swing arm pivot. So, I set the chain tension with the swing arm parallel to the ground (removed the shocks), re-installed the shocks, and then drilled the left frame gusset behind the foot peg to install a 34mm chain roller. Now the chain tension is the same at full extension as it is parallel to the ground. No problems, yet.

I have to thank OzTT for that idea.

If I remember right, that XT350 has a STEEL tank not aluminum your not going to blast it unless you like rust.

It's steel and I'd clearcoat it or do as mentioned before and polish it up often. I don't it to look the same as an ali tank.

It's steel and I'd clearcoat it or do as mentioned before and polish it up often. I don't it to look the same as an ali tank.

If you really want to do that.....

Check your local yellow pages and see if theres a Chrome plating shop, or bumper shop around. They might be able to chrome plate the tank.

Clear coat isn't going to stay on bare metal.

Good Luck.

Gday Britt,

Wow the Penton looks great.... as a biased Suzuki owner how about some pics of the 370 you have tucked around the side .. :busted:

Toolboy

Like this?

SuzukiatSalemSpeedway.jpg

Britt,

Yes, that really looks great! I complain about finding parts for old Jap bikes, I bet it's a real bear finding Penton stuff - which just gives you that much more to be proud of at the end. :busted:

I had no idea Penton made it into the long-travel era. Apparently '77 was the last production year?

Ray

Finding parts is not too bad and sometimes easier than some Jap bikes. The 76 Penton/KTM MC5 125 was the first MX 125 that Had the KTM engine. In 76-77, they imported less than 200 units with most of them being 77 models. After 77, all the bikes were sold as KTMs. As Pentons go, this is one of the rarest models with the rarest being the Kenny Roberts Flat Track model.

Hey Britt,

Nice RM370....do you race the bike???

It looks well used

Toolboy

Sometimes I race it. It's had a pretty hard life.

GetAttachment.jpg