ktmoose465

Lets see your vintage ride

19 hours ago, ljs said:

Boy that 175 brings back memories. I had a 1973 XL175, looked just like yours. Rode that for a year and then put a Poweroll tuned, high pipe on it. Made a big difference in the powerband, but it came on the pipe so fast that it was a bear at times keeping the front end down when climbing some of the hills on the power lines around Warren and Sheffield Pa.   My younger brother still has one. Been trying to convince him to get it out and fire it up. No luck so far.

Nice score,

Saw this little beauty at a swap meet in Colorado last week. 

IMG_3267.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, El Hosel said:

Saw this little beauty at a swap meet in Colorado last week. 

What was the price on that 70?

3 hours ago, Jake Rieke said:

Just got my 1973 Honda xl250 back on the roads. I had to run all new wiring, so I upgraded to a 12v system and LED lights. She usually starts on the first kick

DAADAEDC-09B2-4452-8625-B2E252C11145.jpeg

97D3312C-11AB-4217-B1A7-4C5FBA486155.jpeg

👍👍 With just little things like the electrics those bikes actually will live forever with just intelligent, basic maintenance.

• Like 3

On 9/5/2020 at 7:04 AM, Doogee57 said:

What was the price on that 70?

I didn't get a chance to talk to the guy, he was running around buying stuff. I scored a tank for my 71 Rickman Zundapp, couldn't believe my eyes $70 bucks needs a little love but nice.

IMG_3270 (1).JPG

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 11:04 AM, ljs said:

Boy that 175 brings back memories. I had a 1973 XL175, looked just like yours. Rode that for a year and then put a Poweroll tuned, high pipe on it. Made a big difference in the powerband, but it came on the pipe so fast that it was a bear at times keeping the front end down when climbing some of the hills on the power lines around Warren and Sheffield Pa.   My younger brother still has one. Been trying to convince him to get it out and fire it up. No luck so far.

I had a 73 XL 175. Had a Powroll pipe also. Somehow in an endure in South Jersey I seized the bike. So my solution was to put in a Powroll bore and stroker kit. It brought it up to a 226cc. Had a hard time keeping the wheel on the ground on level plains.

Recently picked up another XL175 and a TL125. Both 1974. Will post pictures soon.

• Like 1

Basic, simple clean design. I luv the older single cyl dual sport bikes. Getting hard to find decent ones at decent, realistic prices.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mxaniac said:

My current vintage collection:

20200907_183527.jpg.6d4e331c77c6207f5600400f5821bd20.jpg

77 CR125

20200914_115336.jpg.85ce6880088d548d1c6cde1b81d93906.jpg

79 CR250

20200914_115344.jpg.7b614799c668faa77d1aae5205ddaa0d.jpg

81 Maico 490

Are those victims of the recent fires? Real heart breakers there.

How very sad to see and more so to think that you must have lost much more than just old motorcycles. I hope your family members, friends and neighbors were unharmed!

• Like 3

On 4/6/2020 at 11:09 AM, El Hosel said:

Hey El,

I have next to zero riding experience the last 40 years! I'm good at the cleaning and grunt work, learning about the mechanical as I go.... I started getting into cleaning up and tinkering with old two stokes in December of 2018 .... The Zundapp is the 5th bike in my collection, I have been test riding the other bikes around the neighborhood so I have a few hours now riding on pavement. This year i'm going to do some trail riding on the  my TT600 and Bultaco Alpina , the Yamaha has a good travel and feels pretty cushy compared to the old bikes.

I'm a sucker for a $300 dollar classic!

IMG_1199.JPG

IMG_2369 (1).JPG

IMG_2141.JPG

That  250 Suzi  brings back memories .....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ljs said:

Are those victims of the recent fires? Real heart breakers there.

Yes 2 weeks ago.  7 bikes, I can't even come to grips with what hurts the most.  490 Maico was a dream bike for its class.  First turn was nothing but other Maicos.  KX500AF, the 2 stroke KX500 was so much better in a modern frame.  2005 CR250, I lost 2.  I won sooooo many races against the 450, best bike ever made IMO.  It's not like I don't have newer bikes, a 2018 TC250 remains along with a CRF450.  Better suspension and brakes but the underlying chassis of the 2005 CR250 can't be beat.  And the 1979 CR250?  Pretty magical for the era.  Such usable power, it was like riding a dream compared to yellow.

• Sad 2

44 minutes ago, bweighmaster said:

Dammit ..........

Exactly.  I thought I was over it, but tonight I drank every last drop of alcohol in the house and I'm still emotional over it. I think the KX500AF and the 490 Maico hurt the worst, but I won SO many races on the 2005 CR250.  It was golden, MXA was SO misguided in their assessment.  So much potential, regardless of stock.  What a bike.  IK I think I'm don't pouring my guts out.  Good night.

• Sad 1

Hope you feel better ,  probably not ,    Look forward to what you can do next .....  Re group ,  get everything in order ,  then make plans for future dealings ,   take what you have ,  really look at it ....   think about it .....  nobody can erase the memories ....  Just be thankful it was just bikes and other replaceable items .....

16 minutes ago, mxaniac said:

Exactly.  I thought I was over it, but tonight I drank every last drop of alcohol in the house and I'm still emotional over it. I think the KX500AF and the 490 Maico hurt the worst, but I won SO many races on the 2005 CR250.  It was golden, MXA was SO misguided in their assessment.  So much potential, regardless of stock.  What a bike.  IK I think I'm don't pouring my guts out.  Good night.

Rest in peace all of the golden bikes 😔 ... hope you feel better soon

16 hours ago, bweighmaster said:

Hope you feel better ,  probably not ,    Look forward to what you can do next .....  Re group ,  get everything in order ,  then make plans for future dealings ,   take what you have ,  really look at it ....   think about it .....  nobody can erase the memories ....  Just be thankful it was just bikes and other replaceable items .....

Replacing that Maico will not be an easy task.  Truly a historical bike.

• Like 1