ktmoose465

Lets see your vintage ride

16 hours ago, JustinXR said:

God damn thumpers with drum brakes, cuz razor blades are for sissies...

If you need to slow down let off on the throttle a bit! 😆

Just now, JustinXR said:

Good job on that one, hard to call it a bike when you first got it...

Yes, it was a good project. The tank is / was beautiful and overall it wasn't as bad as it looked once cleaned up. My first bike since I was teenager back in the 70s, got me going on a classic bike hobby, I have a few now.

IMG_2369.JPG

IMG_3452 (1).JPG

IMG_3431.JPG

IMG_3494.JPG

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, JustinXR said:

My xr600 with bad wheel bearings comes to a stop pretty fast with clutch in and no brakes, pretty funny actually

My TT had bad steering head bearings and rear brake rust causing sticking issues on both ends.... scary ride the first time I got it going, pretty slick now. Bike was part way under a roof outside for a few years ( second owner not so good ) so some water collected in the rear drum and steering head. First owner took good care of it for the 25 years.

People really need to take care of their chassis bearings...my 500r is really bad right now

oh and all balls is the only company that makes the linkage bearings i need, fking perfect right?..... 

Edited by JustinXR
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, JustinXR said:

Very nice collection you have there, i probably would've never been interested in VMX if i didn't get my DT125, that and 500 2 strokes got me hooked on old bikes.  

My dad had bunch of bikes in the 60s and 70S...  He had a Rickman / Westlake 500 Thumper, I can still hear it, great bikes it came back to haunt I guess.

1969-rickman-bsa-westlake-1.jpg

Edited by El Hosel
added photos
  • Like 6
  • Helpful 1

I had a DT in similar shape to that, in my boredom i would polish it, spokes, forks, engine cases, keep her well lubed and adjusted and they run pretty smooth. Doesn't appear as if yours has an electric start, my 125 did though, never worked good even with brand new parts.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 4:43 PM, JustinXR said:

I had a DT in similar shape to that, in my boredom i would polish it, spokes, forks, engine cases, keep her well lubed and adjusted and they run pretty smooth. Doesn't appear as if yours has an electric start, my 125 did though, never worked good even with brand new parts.

It's hilarious to me that they actually had electric start on the AT3s and enduros in general. It's so useless. It isn't that it doesn't work (not for me anyway); I just wonder who would need electric start for a bike that a 5 year old could start. Plus it drains battery so quickly...

1 minute ago, JustinXR said:

Yeah thats sort of what i thought, pioneering tech  or some other bs like that maybe.  I only used it to show the guy who bought it. 

Yep I managed to get rid of mine recently, same thing here. The guy buying it seemed to really like it lol. Happy to see it gone in time for winter so I can hopefully get a good deal on something else.

1 minute ago, JustinXR said:

Sold mine to some guy who wanted it for his son. Got 1800 bucks for it. Man those were the days before covid, 1500 could buy you clean 450. 

1100 for mine. Good I guess considering I paid 700 and bought only a battery. Plus, it was kinda a beater. Being back in the hunt feels a lot better than being stuck with something I know isn't a keeper though. I'm hunting for another larger displacement Yamaha in good condition. Probably a CT2 because those are what seem to appear in Oregon right now. Want something to use for trails and road, and something I am happy enough with to use through college. Finding ones with nice paint is TOUGH, and that's one of the things I just gotta have.