ktmoose465

Lets see your vintage ride

2 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

This is covering my end time on Husky with my 82 430 xc back when. I love those years still air cool. I had a 73 Husky cr 125 and rode a bunch of different Huskies ( and whatever bikes then) in those in between years. Those were the hard core all I did was ride and go to school years that imprint for life. My Dad formed this environment too and his love of motorcycles stoked  the fire.  I’m stoked that there’s parts and a hardcore Swedish following. Vintage bikes aren’t a logical thing. It’s a nostalgia connection thing. Hell I’m happy just having this Husky just to look at it . It just connects to stuff like going through  6 gears on the back wheel for a few telephone pole lengths and doing shit that only makes sense when you are young. I’ll never do that again. I can’t risk getting hurt now. Bones are brittle compared to then.  I restrict myself now  to more single track which I did heavily on my old 430 as well. I figure maybe I can ride that while Im still with some diminished skills. Maybe..  What’s weird is I don’t see many pics or video of guys riding Husky in vinduro or other stuff. There’s some though. It’s just showing my age I think. I mean 82 is still 4 years out of High school for me. I still feel like a kid riding.  

Here’s one vid that reminds me of my Husky. Wr though so a little lower seat height of my xc. Wr’s are supposed to turn a little better for woods. My xc was fine though. The cr and xc were the same taller frame in 1982 except there was a middle frame rail piece under the motor I guess to help protect against rocks and add strength. The mx cr’s don’t have that bar. 

This is a fun mx vintage race with a 430.  It’s awesome to be able to race a race like this . 

I’ve had a few husky’s over the years. I had a 1983 and a 1984 Xc500, and have a 1983 510tx. Sold the 83 Xc500 to a friend, and I think I gave him my 84 cylinder and piston. I am missing the cylinder for my 84 xc500. I thought I still had my 83 cylinder someplace, but can’t find it. I had a 430 cylinder too, but can’t find it either. My son is going VMX racing with me next spring, so I am rebuilding a 390 motor for the 84 chassis. The 390 was a great motor. Basically as much power as a modern 250, with way more torque. Probably one of the easiest to ride motors of all time. I still have a NOS rod in my spares box. My 390 crankcase has a good crank in it. I might just put in a new big end bearing just to play it safe, and save my NOS rod. The 390 cylinder should be here this week, so I can order the correct piston. I had a 78 390 that was in boxes when I bought my second 500, and put it together, and sold it to another friend. I wish I would have kept that one. 

The suspension on the 81-84 husky’s can be set up as well as any modern single shock. The fork was quite good too, but lacks the rigidity of the newer forks. You can set these bikes up for modern performance. I think I will try to balance the crank on my bikes, to see if that helps the vibration. They were terrible. 

I need to tear apart the back storage corner of the shop and see if I can find those parts. 

Edited by Willie71
  • Helpful 1

8 hours ago, SlowDinoDog said:

Its unique and cool looking....it would be a fun twin-shock VMX racer...🏁🏁🏁

Probably ought to keep it close to the ground...that swingarm design looks a little 'flexible'.🤷🏻‍♂️

Those husky swingarms are way more rigid than they look. They are a high quality chromoly steel. Very strong. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, motoxvet said:

That was probably the "bad years" I  mentioned.  The thing is, I'm not a Husky fanatic so I wouldn't know exactly what those years are.  Not sure most guys would.  

Yup. That’s why I chime in. Even the first couple years of the Swedish single shock bikes are harder to get parts for. Those are the 85/86 models, 87 started the transition to Cagiva, and some models used the Swedish engines, and some used the Italian engines. It got quite mixed up in those years. Many Swedish parts interchanged. There are guys using later 610 model liquid cooled engines, and putting air cooled cylinders and heads on them. The crank cases are close enough, you can make things work. The 83/84 has tons of support, even reproduction frames now. 81/82 is less supported, but most parts interchange. No PDS (itc) shocks in 81/82 though. The 82 chassis is a great donor chassis for xr or tt four stroke swaps. 

• Like 3

On 10/21/2020 at 6:29 PM, 73HondaSL125 said:

Lucky, that one looks great. I'd like to get a 73 RT3. Since my AT3 tops out at 60 it really isn't viable for road use. Not to mention the lack of features making it street legal. The style of the Yamaha enduros is really unbeatable though, that's why I'd get a bigger one.

My mom rode a 73 DT250 to work the whole time she was pregnant with me. I later rode the wheels off it when I was 11-13. I think that's why riding is so ingrained, I could hear and feel that two stroke in the womb. 

Edited by GreatWhiteFire

Today I talked to the original owner of the 82 430xc Husky I owned. It’s funny. He said he didn’t like that bike and that it didn’t turn. He said before I got that bike that he had a hard time jetting that bike and setting up that bike and he overall didn’t like it compared to the KTM of that year..350? Forget now. He liked how that turned better  and Hondas turned better at that time to him but he said certain Honda motors were a bit violent how the power came on. He is an ace mechanic and he was legendary as an off road racer in Hawaii winning the Kauai Labor day Hare and hounds multiple times back in the 80’s and other off-road races. . He and John Desoto dueled in those years in the big Hare and Hounds hard enduro races in that time period. It’s funny as he said he was surprised I had that 430 xc and that he was surprised how well I rode it. He said “ I don’t know you rode it good though “... I won a bunch of races on that 430 xc. I don’t know . I loved that bike except for brakes. :excuseme: . Except I tried my hardest to beat him but that didn’t happen. I tried my best though. But that 430 xc didn’t bother me at all .  Anyway he was recommending me to not restore that bike and that it wasn’t worth it to him. I shouldn’t be surprised. He didn’t care for it in 82’ He sold it quickly after working on it as best as could be and sold it to me. He did think it cool that this 430 cr bike I have now has the trick upgrades  .  I learned something. Those years had 3 different tension rear shock springs to choose from. Soft medium heavy. Simple huh . That’s the thing when researching to building a vintage bike.  It’s finding out what’s up with what’s available to figure what to get in a build. Im still in a holding pattern as I gather info on parts . :ride: Im still open to the rebuild but mulling it over. It’s not like I have any burning desire for  a new bike.  Well maybe a lightly used 200 rr Beta but eehh. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

21 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Today I talked to the original owner of the 82 430xc Husky I owned. It’s funny. He said he didn’t like that bike and that it didn’t turn. He said before I got that bike that he had a hard time jetting that bike and setting up that bike and he overall didn’t like it compared to the KTM of that year..350? Forget now. He liked how that turned better  and Hondas turned better at that time to him but he said certain Honda motors were a bit violent how the power came on. He is an ace mechanic and he was legendary as an off road racer in Hawaii winning the Kauai Labor day Hare and hounds multiple times back in the 80’s and other off-road races. . He and John Desoto dueled in those years in the big Hare and Hounds hard enduro races in that time period. It’s funny as he said he was surprised I had that 430 xc and that he was surprised how well I rode it. He said “ I don’t know you rode it good though “... I won a bunch of races on that 430 xc. I don’t know . I loved that bike except for brakes. :excuseme: . Except I tried my hardest to beat him but that didn’t happen. I tried my best though. But that 430 xc didn’t bother me at all .  Anyway he was recommending me to not restore that bike and that it wasn’t worth it to him. I shouldn’t be surprised. He didn’t care for it in 82’ He sold it quickly after working on it as best as could be and sold it to me. He did think it cool that this 430 cr bike I have now has the trick upgrades  .  I learned something. Those years had 3 different tension rear shock springs to choose from. Soft medium heavy. Simple huh . That’s the thing when researching to building a vintage bike.  It’s finding out what’s up with what’s available to figure what to get in a build. Im still in a holding pattern as I gather info on parts . :ride: Im still open to the rebuild but mulling it over. It’s not like I have any burning desire for  a new bike.  Well maybe a lightly used 200 rr Beta but eehh. 

I loved the early 80s husky’s. For a do it all bike, my 500xc was pretty close to perfect. My 510tx was better than any four stroke I rode in that era. They turned differently than a Japanese bike, but they did turn. Well, my 84 did. My 83 went straight, then you got off, realigned it, then went straight again. I think for an all around bike, a 28 deg head angle is about perfect. The quick turning Suzuki’s and Honda’s felt too twitchy to me. The four strokes turned better than the 2 strokes. Probably from the engine braking loading the front wheel. 

Edited by Willie71
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Willie71 said:

I loved the early 80s husky’s. For a do it all bike, my 500xc was pretty close to perfect. My 510tx was better than any four stroke I rode in that era. They turned differently than a Japanese bike, but they did turn. Well, my 84 did. My 83 went straight, then you got off, realigned it, then went straight again. I think for an all around bike, a 28 deg head angle is about perfect. The quick turning Suzuki’s and Honda’s felt too twitchy to me. The four strokes turned better than the 2 strokes. Probably from the engine breaking loading the front wheel. 

I had an OLD Husky, a '69 250.  That did NOT turn.  Very frustrating to fight with it on a twisty track.  I didn't mind seeing that go bye-bye.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

2 hours ago, axehandler said:

Started with this stuffed in my wife's enclave.

Copy of 20160618_194908.jpg

PXL_20201121_151534547.jpg

PXL_20201121_151355308.MP.jpg

Is that a 300/305?  My SIL has a 300 that I helped him get running.  Yours is a touch cleaner that his red one but close.  We found - by default - where the weak points are on Honda's design.  The weak points we found were first, the petcock.  It's pretty rinky-dink how they made the fuel flow through for on & reserve.  I tried & tried to get to not leak, even with all the rebuild parts.  Finally he found someone on ebay that sells a more modern type that bolts on to the OE tank.  Next, the wire for the starter switch on the right side of the bars has a tendency to short to the bars (making the starter run continuously!)  if you aren't EXTREMELY careful putting the throttle assembly on.  He's put the bike on the back burner for now (other bikes) but I suppose I'll get back to it sooner or later.  

Yes it is a 305. I did the petcock upgrade. The old rectifier can be a fire hazard. I wound up modernizing the electrical system with a solid state rectifier, lithium battery, electronic ignition trigger and now it starts immediately and runs like a sewing machine. 

IMG_20200811_193513.jpg

IMG_20200811_193517.jpg

Edited by axehandler
  • Like 5

Very nice and yes, the electrical systems are begging to be modernized.  The rectifier is a good start to upgrading.  One problem with SIL's is the coil doesn't seem to be the correct one.  Ride for a few minutes and it will feel doggy or even let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes & the coil gets so hot you cant lay your hand on it.  I have another coil for it but it's getting shoved back of the priority line.  I bought a new solenoid for him too.  The one on the bike was wired in but not secured in any way so it was just flopping around under the side cover.  He's lucky it didn't short out and melt the wiring.  

'Honk',, the haggard old Honda.

While it may look like he's been dragged along the road for most of his 90 000km, he still runs like a champ....

IMG_20210110_133229.jpg.fa78add9a57cde100820f3f635952d77.jpg

Edited by Muzz67
  • Like 5
  • Helpful 2