Sign in to follow this  

DR650 fuel consumption

Just wondering what kind of fuel mileage others are getting compared to me. I'm getting about 35mpg riding like a normal 60 year old rides (occasional wheelies at traffic lights, WOT runs every once in a while) with combination of city/hiway and dirt roads. By the looks of the plugs (light tan color) it seems to be running pretty clean.

My 01 with similar mods normally gets 45mpg when I am doing a lot of stop and start hammering thru the gears. The mileage goes up to 55+ on the open road. Lots of threads on this, it seems the mileage varies a lot from bike to bike (or owner to owner). I normally hit reserve at 100 miles and it takes 2.2-2.4 gallons to fill it back up (stock tank)

I didn't see your 14t til after, that would explain some of the difference, the rest is probably because I'm only 42 so I don't ride as fast as a 60 year old!

High 30's on the road, and Yeah I say the classes listed for a Fl Trail Riders hare scrambles this month. They had a class for 58+ riders RESIST, RESIST.

I'm getting mid 40's on my 03 with no mods other than drilled stock muff and snorkle pulled out. That is 100% city street and town riding, no hooliganism.

Dave

I get 55-60, all highway miles. It is a little less if I am in the throttle alot. I have yet to ever hit reserve, even at 130 miles. It will all depend like stated before on bike and person.

I'm getting mid 40's on my 03 with no mods other than drilled stock muff and snorkle pulled out. That is 100% city street and town riding, no hooliganism.

Dave

You're running way lean if you pulled the snorkle and drilled the exhaust without throwing a bigger main jet in there (assuming you're still in Texas)

I get 50-55 in general. I was getting mid-hi 60's during the "nothing past 1/2 throttle" break-in period.

'05, no mods.

Ugh, that's horrible mileage. I'm getting about that right now, also with the dynojet 170 which I think is too rich. I'm going to try the 160. I thought maybe it was because of winter and I wasn't putting on very many miles, like maybe I was losing fuel through outgassing, and all the miles are in-town WOT with only an occasional short trail or cornfield. I'll keep working backwards with the airbox cover, jetting and muffler discs until I get at least 45mpg.

I have every mod there is, just about, and I get around 44 or so. I zip along around 75 to 80 most of the time and I go WOT to get there. Still love the sound of the FMF and the airbox mods. Coming up on 8K miles since April and hardly a hiccup.

I seem to get from 43 to 45 no matter how I ride the beast. Back when it was stock I got around 50 to 55 but that sure didn't last long. ;-)

I questioned Jesse about my jetting after drilling the muff and snorkle, said I shouldn't be too bad. In fact, it seems to be the opposite, the plugs show I'm running slightly rich. Stock I was getting 65 mpg, after the mods 45. The gas is going somewhere.

Dave

I questioned Jesse about my jetting after drilling the muff and snorkle, said I shouldn't be too bad. In fact, it seems to be the opposite, the plugs show I'm running slightly rich. Stock I was getting 65 mpg, after the mods 45. The gas is going somewhere.

Dave

That seems like too big a drop. You can maybe pick up 4-5 HP with a full complement of mods. That's a 10% increase in power and you have lost 30% of your mileage. SOmething else must have gone south, or maybe you are getting to know the bike and running it harder. I would agree with Mayner, Mine always gets mid 40's no matter what and only increases with more open road (especially if the federales are out and you can't run 75-80)

With your mods listed ,170 main and 14t, that isn't far off what I get with a 160 main and 15t sprocket...Gotta admit to some heavy acceleration since the jetting/pipe were changed... :thumbsup:

Yeah, the 65 mpg was measured with the first tank when I bought it in Oct. I was pretty timid, as it was new to me. Still, after the mods, the plug chop showed a dark, not sooty tip, looked good to me.

Dave

I get 50 to 60 on an 05 with no mods. I think this bike runs best if you just leave it alone. Just my own opinion. I'm old to and do the wheeliies only at the red lights when the chics are watching. Chics dig wheelies man.

tire pressures make a big difference, ever since i dropped from 25/29 to 22/25 i've lost a couple mpg. also not riding with friends/family on faster bikes will keep it up.

That was me. 1" dia. down the pipe thru the last baffle. I felt the revs free up immediatly, but don't do it unless you are ready to start messing with things, there is no going back.

Dave

Dave, I am at 5400 feet. I have a Dynojet 150 main with the clip on the 3rd slot from the top, top of airbox cut out, and the fuel/air mixture at 2-1/4 turns.

I am still running the stock exhaust.

After you drilled out the baffles, what happened? What adjustments were you forced to make? What happened to the noise level? I don't want to people to be turning their heads when I am still 100 meters away from them.

-Mike