Stock handle bars Or Renthals

The rest of the controls will certainly bolt right up if you mean the ones on the ends of your bars. Pro tapers/fat bars are only larger in diameter where they bolt to the triple clamps, the part your hands grab are the standard diameter.

Not sure if you can but I think with the sm you may be able to just replace your bar clamps, on the rest of the drzs you would need to add an adapter or replace you top triple clamp with one that has seperate bar clamps you can get in the 1 1/8" size.

What's needed to mount the Fatbars on an SM? What happens with the mounting hardware for the key tumbler? Will the rest of the controls just bolt on to the thicker bars?

get the universal adapter kit from pro taper.it bolts on to where the stock bar caps go.they also give you more height.my key is zip tyed to the clamp but i saw a pic somewhere of the key mount on the upper triple clamp pinch bolts.

I like Rentals myself. Burned put the heavy duty bars on the SM. I'm used to them now, so they are ok. I got to admit though as a bit of a traditionalist I like the thinner bars. The Renthals hold up to just about anything this side of throwing it off of a switchback. That would be the way I'd go. prairiedawg ?