Sign in to follow this  

learning to ride on a yz250f?

what bike were you last on, or is this the first bike you are going 2 be owning.

i dont think they are to hard to learn on, just take it easy until you know how the bike will react to different situations.

I personally think youd probably be ok.. although the bike does have a lot of power... just dont get a yz450f for your first bike like one of my friends lmao

Just take it really easy for the first while.. because when you do gas it the power will definately be there lol

i just got a 250 im 15, 5'6'', 135. my first bike was my 70 to play on. than i got my 250 this christmas. it was pretty easy to ride. i just had to get used to the size. my hardest thing is learning to turn going faster. i think you be really happy.

i just got a 250 im 15, 5'6'', 135. my first bike was my 70 to play on. than i got my 250 this christmas. it was pretty easy to ride. i just had to get used to the size. my hardest thing is learning to turn going faster. i think you be really happy.
yea I think I will to ill let you know how it gos. :thumbsup:

Man,I can relate with your situation.

I'm kinda in the middle of making the transition from quads to bikes.

I started on a Honda 400EX ATV that people told me was too much quad to start on and I was going to get hurt...hahaha. After a year I got bored and got a Raptor and the 400EX went to my g/f. Shes been an athlete all her life so she picked it up easy. Personally,I wanted to start with basically the fastest quad available. This was in early 2003 before the YFZ450 was even out.

Anyway,I got fast enough,quick enough on the Raptor that I got bored and wanted to switch to bikes. In riding my friend's Honda XR250,I realized that I would be bored on that too. So I planned to buy a moto-x bike this spring but my fiance beat me to it and got me an 06 250F for Xmas. I wanted something I would be in awe of. I wanted something that would scare me a little bit if held wide open. I thought I wanted a 450,but now I am so glad I got a 250 to start out with.

In the limited riding I have done with the thing since getting it(NY winters suck!) I can honestly say I am to the point where I am *tiny* bit afraid of it. This excites me to no end...hahaha.

I think you will be ok,because I know I will be on the thing. Just be disciplined! Thats been my motto ever since I have gotten a Mustang that was "too much car for me" and then immediately supercharged the thing back in 1997.

Explore your limits on your own terms. Push a little harder each time but be careful not to overrun your current abilities.

Man,I can relate with your situation.

I'm kinda in the middle of making the transition from quads to bikes.

I started on a Honda 400EX ATV that people told me was too much quad to start on and I was going to get hurt...hahaha. After a year I got bored and got a Raptor and the 400EX went to my g/f. Shes been an athlete all her life so she picked it up easy. Personally,I wanted to start with basically the fastest quad available. This was in early 2003 before the YFZ450 was even out.

Anyway,I got fast enough,quick enough on the Raptor that I got bored and wanted to switch to bikes. In riding my friend's Honda XR250,I realized that I would be bored on that too. So I planned to buy a moto-x bike this spring but my fiance beat me to it and got me an 06 250F for Xmas. I wanted something I would be in awe of. I wanted something that would scare me a little bit if held wide open. I thought I wanted a 450,but now I am so glad I got a 250 to start out with.

In the limited riding I have done with the thing since getting it(NY winters suck!) I can honestly say I am to the point where I am *tiny* bit afraid of it. This excites me to no end...hahaha.

I think you will be ok,because I know I will be on the thing. Just be disciplined! Thats been my motto ever since I have gotten a Mustang that was "too much car for me" and then immediately supercharged the thing back in 1997.

Explore your limits on your own terms. Push a little harder each time but be careful not to overrun your current abilities.

yea I plan to start out riding real slow. :thumbsup:

I gotta say though,I've only gotten the thing to actually get traction a couple times so far. We've had a crazy/lucky winter in which the snow all had just melted and we were getting 50+ degree days the past week,which melted the snow and let me *kinda* ride the thing/break it in,but it was all mud.The bikes stay at my parents house out in rural upstate NY which is where I ride/tinker with it. Anyway,the couple times it hooked up was in the gravel driveway and the thing actually shocked me,in a very good way. The thing is unexpectadly fast,so be careful. Just be respectful of it and you will be ok.

I can say only this so far,its SO much faster than my 660cc Raptor. Its an absolute time warp compared to it.

ok iv never riden a dirtbike befor only quads im 5'10" and 170lbs.

Absolutely not. No offense, but I was in exactly the same situation as you only a year ago. I begged for months to get a YZ250F, saying that I would grow out of a smaller bike immediately. I lost the argument and I got a TTR125. The bike was a little small, but I learned fast, and more importantly learned the basics of being able to ride well. After a while on the TTR, I could keep up with all my friends on the biiger bikes providing there were no long straight aways. In retrospect I am glad I learned on a smaller bike. I currently own a YZ250F and even though it is stock, and despite over a year on the TTR, the power still scares me. The little bikes are good investments of you have younger sibilngs, and if not you can get a used one, ride it for a while, and sell it again, without to much of a loss. The 250F is a great bike, and is perfect for you, but not right now. Naturally you cant take this information as you please, this is only my point of view, but then again, I say this all with first hand experience.

PM me if you want more info and check my garage for info on both bikes. I am currently 5-7, 125 pounds.

With all due respect to what Jake28 said,I just bought my fiance an 04 TTR125L this past October as a bike to start on. I believe she will be upgrading to a TTR230 at the end of 06 riding season,but its a great bike to start on for her. I was extremely new as well when we got the thing. I could ride a dirt bike,but only marginally. I will say a few things about the 125L. I never cease to have fun on the thing. You learn a LOT about the handling dynamics of a dirt bike by riding the smaller bike. You learn how to go fast because you can push that smaller bike to the outer limits of its abilities,while still remaining in control. The 125 is not going to jump out and bite you.

All that being said,I got bored of that bike quickly. After a month of occasional riding,I could absolutely rail the thing through a turn,which is a nice feeling,but not economically viable if you are only going to use it for a few months?

Its nice to be able to learn on a smaller bike and I truly think you CAN learn faster than having to be wary of starting on a larger bike,but who wants to buy a bike and then sell it after a month or two in order to step up? Honestly you can buy a 125L and then sell it a few months later for the same price,but its such a hassle.

After considering all this,I think my ideal advice is to pony up the 1500 bucks to get a used TTR125L to learn on for a few months and then step up to the 250. Then keep the 125L for fun! I know I have a brand new 2006 250F in my garage,but I still look at the TTR with fondness because I can almost master the thing even at an amateur skill level.

Ahhh....what do I know? :thumbsup:

sweet did you have a hard time?

Not at all.

No high-speed get-offs (yet). My biggest problem is growing balls big enough to keep the speed up in the sand. If I'm on a wide sand wash, 30-40mph, no problem. If it starts getting tight and I'm approaching a blind curve (that I know is cool because my buddy passed through already) I let off the gas to slow down, and of course, below 20mph, the front end is all over the place.

I let off the gas to slow down, and of course, below 20mph, the front end is all over the place.

Haha,I noticed the same thing in about 4 inches of snow last week. At speed it was fine but trying to coast or cruise,the thing got weird on me. :thumbsup:

It's really up to you. I went with the YZ250F as my first bike with no prior (motorized) off road experience. Just taking it easy, not riding over my abilities and respecting the power. I will never ride the bike to its full potential. But for me it's all about having fun.

If you really want one and have the cash (or good credit in my case) go for it!

i learnt how to ride on a CR80 when i was like 10 so that was a big challenge and i just couldnt get used to it, when i turned 14 i bought my first 250f, now i am 16 and i race in A-Grade in Australia

Hey, I learned on my dads 2001 yzf426, that was no problem at all, after about 3 rides of that i got my own 2001 yzf250. Now that ive gotten used to the 250 i had a ride on my dads again, and now im thinking i want the 426 :thumbsup: im about 170cm (whatever that is in ft?) 70kg 16 years of age. Ive only ever ridden in sand dunes so im not sure what it would be like in trails if thats where your thinking of riding but my 250 is alot easier to handle even though there isnt much difference in weight.

All in all i think you will be fine on the 250

I gave my son a 250F recently who has had several years of quad experience. I told him the same thing my dad told me "Respect the bike and it's power, the day you don't is the day it bites you" As long as you take it easy and get comfortable on the bike, you'll enjoy it.