Quick Timing Chain Tensioner Question.

From this post.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179775

Remove the bolt on the cam chain tensioner.

I use a small flat blade screwdriver to release the tension, turning it clockwise will release the tension on the chain.

I use a small set of vise grips to hold the screwdriver in place, the tension will hold the vice grips against the side cover holding it in place. If you wish to avoid this step or don’t have the vice grips or screwdriver you can completely remove the chain tensioner by removing the two bolts that attach it to the head.

Do you already have the chain and cam in? If so release the tension on it before you re-install it.

Remove the 8mm head bolt where ther tensioner protrudes. Behind that is a slot that you fit a flatblade screwdriver into. Turn it clockwise to release the tension. When you install it release the screwdriver and it automatically adjusts the tension.

I'd try to explain it better now but I have to be somewhere.

Thank you so much. I thought you had to torque the middle bolt to a spec for proper tension. I went and played with it and figured it out. It is very simple now that I realize you are just releasing the tenion to install.