3x3 Mod Photos?

I'm a TT newbie and I'm sure this thread has been beaten to death, but...

I'm looking for photos and instructions for the 3x3 airbox mod. I've searched the DRZ forum and found a few dead links to photos... but have yet to find anything helpful.

Anybody have photos and/or instructions, or know where I might find them?

Thanks in advance,

hey, its pretty easy,

1. take off seat

2. pull out snorkel in air box

3. enlarge existing hole to 3in by 3in

4. reassemble

.....I'm trying to find the link to share

tip - don't cut too deep as you may cut the rear fender

try the "search" at the top

I was hesitant to do it without photos as well. Ultimately, the idea is to get 9 square inch hole in the top of the airbox. Where you take the plastic out does not matter very much. I ended up cutting a 4 X 2.25 hole near the back end of the airbox, so that the CDI didn't interfere with the airflow.

You're right though, pretty much all the pictures are dead links.

This is a really good pictorial, although the site seems to have dissapeared in the past few days-

http://members.shaw.ca/anethema/djinstall.html

Pictures of 3x3 in My Garage.

The white edging to the 3x3 cut-out is the rough side of a strip of Velcro,

this is to hold a pre-filter in place (no longer in use).

Neil. :thumbsup::bonk::thumbsup:

Neil thanks for the pic, I thought it would look something like that but always helpful to see it.

Karmolis, nice find, this guy was on a full documentary trip, good to know. Thanks

MutualBill, with the larger size's did you have to jet even more? Vice the normal 3X3 jetting that is throughout the forum!

No...I used the recommended jetting for the 3x3 hole and it worked perfectly.

Cool thanks...

Bill where in Missouri are you?

Kansas City...North of the river.

Here are a few pictures of mine if your still looking.

53666212-M.jpg

53666212-M.jpg

I took some detailed pictures of rejeting the carb, if you need it I can post those also.

I just did mine and have three tips:

1. When you take the top of the carb off, there is a very small o-ring (maybe 3/16") called the "dead spot o-ring" (I think) just under the lid. I never knew it was there and almost lost it. Work on a clean surface when taking the carb apart and take careful notice of the sequencing of the parts.

2. Loosen the subframe bolts. This makes getting the carb on and off much easier.

3. Getting the screws out of the carb bowl can be a real PAIN. To hell with a screwdriver. Use a pair of vise grips to remove them, and have some stainless allen-head screws there to replace them with.

I just did mine and have three tips:

1. When you take the top of the carb off, there is a very small o-ring (maybe 3/16") called the "dead spot o-ring" (I think) just under the lid. I never knew it was there and almost lost it. Work on a clean surface when taking the carb apart and take careful notice of the sequencing of the parts.

2. Loosen the subframe bolts. This makes getting the carb on and off much easier.

3. Getting the screws out of the carb bowl can be a real PAIN. To hell with a screwdriver. Use a pair of vise grips to remove them, and have some stainless allen-head screws there to replace them with.

I've the carb off the bike (what a PITA) and I'm about ready to start pulling it apart. Could you clarify which screws you're referring to? You mean the two black screws holding the cover for the float chamber on?

The four screws that hold the bottom bowl on the carb. You need to remove these to get to the jets. Don't even attempt to take these off with a phillips screwdriver. They are overtorqued from the manufacturer. Clamp down very hard with a pair of vise grips and twist.

Where did you find the appropriate replacement screws?

TT store $3.95