Poll: Do you go over or around obsticals in the trails.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love picking the fastest line, if Its over an object fine...If around something is quicker thats the route Ill choose..I like moving fast through rough terrain..

yep me to, but it's funny sometimes when everyone follows the crowd around a log or rock, to go a rutted out line after 500 "go round the log" guys have been throuhg, i'l look at it and choose my own line, there's nuthin like doin the log and coming out quiker than the rest:)

If I'm trail riding, I go over every obstacle in sight. If I'm in a race, I choose the fastest line. It might be smoother to go around a log, but I'm not going 20 feet to the right and shift twice to do it. If there's rocks, I look for one that would make a good ramp, and if i think I can clear it, I grab a handful of gas.

How do you manage to get your hand in the gas tank? ?

Wet logs at an angle, wheelie over em, your back tire will go to the side a lot just be ready for it. Speed helps depending on how big it is.

I ride the trail, if theres a log or a rock I ride it. Theres nothing worse than people altering a trail to there liking or capabilities. If you can't ride through it get off and push over it don't cut brush and make the trail wider or easer for you. Have fun and practice your skills when you trail ride, now if its a race pick the path of least resistance and go fast this is the way the club set up the event, those obstacles are left there to separate the skilled from the not so skilled. Have fun and ride hard! ?

Theres nothing worse than people altering a trail to there liking or capabilities
Amen brotha ?

Even where I ride mountain bikes if someone starts cutting obsticles out of the way we get pissed. There aren't that many obsticles in Florida, certainly no hills, so when someone cuts out palmetto roots or a fallen tire I can't help to think "why don't you go ride on the street?".

I ride the trail, if theres a log or a rock I ride it. Theres nothing worse than people altering a trail to there liking or capabilities. If you can't ride through it get off and push over it don't cut brush and make the trail wider or easer for you. Have fun and practice your skills when you trail ride, now if its a race pick the path of least resistance and go fast this is the way the club set up the event, those obstacles are left there to separate the skilled from the not so skilled. Have fun and ride hard! ?

I must whole heartedly agree!! I know guys who totally ruin great challenging trails by digging out rocks or cutting out gnarly roots. I want all that to stay there (and I wish there was more) and when it's gone I really miss it. I have been watching some great videos with rocks... I love it!

I just go over pretty much anything no matter how steep,slippery,deep,muddy,wet,sandy,high,rocky,rutty,rooty, or in the way it is. Doing that has gotten my bike stuck in some weird places and sucked having to lift it out and my friend just kept on riding ahead. I'm surprised I've never blown my CRF up yet.

I love a good challenging obstacle.. There was a day last summer when a large group of us went riding, two of us got seperated and were out front. There were two guys stopped on the trail, looking at a couple downed trees. Both were roughly 12-14" in diameter. The first was about a foot or so off the ground. About two feet behind it was another, but was about three feet in the air as it had hung up in the brush as was suspended. The two guys watched as me and my bud didnt even stop and jumped em. It was so sweet.. KTM riders, must've been from Seattle... ? Needless to say, they had big eyes..

As many others have said, I stick to the trail and conquer the obstacle. I will often try and look as far ahead as possible and try to make many obstacles one.

For example, I was riding at Paragon AP (in your neck of the woods) and I came across a particularly rocky section, (I think it was trail 17) and instead of trying to dodge each rock individually I would look ahead and try to see where I could jump over one rock and maybe clear 3 or 4 more in the process. This way I did not have to clear each rock separately.

The proof that I was riding well was that I was in the lead of three bikes all day, and at the end of the day, I still had all my knobbies, and my brother was missing most of his because he just plowed through all the rocks instead of trying to minimize his effort by combining obstacles.

Same would apply with smoother trails. I always try to look out as far ahead as possible so I have time to plan my approach.

Fallen logs are always a gamble. Best you can do is try and wheelie the front over the log then back off the throttle and shift your weight forward as the rear tire clears it. If it is wet, and there is little or no bark on the log, you may slip anyway. But that's ridin'. ?

Hope this helps a little. :bonk:

I used to be inclined to gas it and go over pretty much any reasonable obstacle. I did this during my last washout crossing in 2nd gear wearing SG-10's. I never even wrecked, just came down hard on my right foot and busted up the ankle. I think I'll go around in the future.

I pick the fastest line. I look far down the trail so I know whats comming up and if theres obsticles in the way so be it. I will hug the side of a trail to avoid mud pits though but if theres no quick way around you better belive Im going through it. I normaly wont try and go over any trees that are more then 20 inches though because where I ride there are quads and they normaly make a quicker route around it. Anything less then that though an Im jumping it. And as said before with the wet angled logs, you just wheely it enough to clear log and then once over kill the gas and unweight the rear and you should skip right over it if you get the rear light enough.

• 1 month later...

I remove all obstacles from the trail. I don't want anyone getting hurt. I broke my exhaust once on a rock and now everyone calls me "Loudpipe". The things I have to endure. The guys are always picking on me. They make me bend over on the trail and then launch up my backside. Once I picked my head up too soon and another rider came and nearly decapitated me. When I tell them I've had enough I want to go home they make me stay till I pee my pants. Then they make me pull my pants down and roost the shit out of my balls and laugh when I cry from every direct hit. They (my balls) are swollen to the size of watermellons right now as I type. Well not really, just one is, the other one had to be removed.

I know they are just kidding and having fun and really like having me around. I'm just glad to be a part of it all.