Sign in to follow this  

need some tips on the front brake

The majority of your breaking comes from the front brake. I rarely use the rear brake. Hard braking in MX use the front brake.

70% of your braking power comes from the front brakes. 30% is in the rear. The rear brake is basically a rutter to keep the rear of the bike straight.

This is the best explanation.

I teach local MX school and one of my favorite practice techniques to to ride front brake only. Once you master the power of the front brake, you will be a better/faster rider.

Another thing I like to do is have students ride w/o a seat............forcing them to stand. Once they are comfortable standing, they are better/faster riders.

i've always been a back brake user and i want to start using the front since im starting to blow out some corners. the only thing im worried about is endoing or the front just knifing when i hit it...am i just paranoid or does this go past the brake and into the suspension department?

i've always been a back brake user and i want to start using the front since im starting to blow out some corners. the only thing im worried about is endoing or the front just knifing when i hit it...am i just paranoid or does this go past the brake and into the suspension department?

It comes down to brake control. Using the rear brake too much will cause the rear end to slide around and make you out of control. If you grab too much front, you can end up losing the front end. You need to practice so you have good brake feel.

Dragging the front break very slightly in rutted turns keeps the front wheel in the rut also.

I almost exclusively use the front break. I use the rear in emergency stops or breaking bumps before a corner so I dont wash using too much front.

Like I said in your other post, here it is again so you can find it in two places

Do you think a pro is going to use the engine braking to slow him down?

No, its either gas, or brake, no in between. Basically, use as much of the front as you can, but use the rear brake as well. If you use too much front, you will slide the front end.

-Phill

Too much of the front brake will cause the front end to slide (especially in dry and wet conditions) and too much of the rear could stall the motor.