Sign in to follow this  

250 or 450 that is the question

Ok i live in Arizona. I currently ride a xr250r dirt bike. I do mostly desert riding and durning the summer i go up to the flagstaff area(forest area) and ride up there. during th winter i go to the dunes and i have been riding my brother crf250x there. I don't dp technical riding much at all. So i am in the market for a new bike and plan to try to get into the motocross scene. So the question is should i go for a crf250r or a cfr450r. I know i want a honda so thats all set but i don't know what size machine to get. I am 6"1' and weigh 180 pounds so what bike would suit me best??????????

450 for your weight and the fact that you ride dunes. I had a 250 and it worked but it was stressed.

450 for your weight and the fact that you ride dunes. I had a 250 and it worked but it was stressed.
:thumbsup:

If you have to ask which one then I think you already know..................450!

I'm just about the same size (6'1" and 190lbs) and I'd say you'd probably end up being much happier with the 450. The 250 would be fun for trails due to the lighter weight, but you'll quickly be wishing for more power when you hit the dunes or MX track.

I'm in the same situation and I am about to go crazy over it :thumbsup: I actually plan on moving to Arizona within the next 6-8 months. I am going to be buying a new bike soon and I don't know what to buy, a 250f or a 450. I ride mostly mx now but once I move I want to get into desert and dune riding also. I have never rode a 450 before and I don't know what to expect out of one. I don't want to buy the bike and end up hating it or being scared of the power.

I think that a 450 would slow the learning curve of a new rider, making them gunshy of riding WFO. If you can pin it and haul ass on a certain class of bike, then it is time to move up a size. One guy I know tried to start dirt bike riding on a CR 500 and he rode like a spode for 2 years. Never got fast. Within a week of buying a CR 250, his speed picked up to that of a decent rider.

If you have a good dirt riding skillset, then go for the 450, but if you still learning how to go truly fast through corners and down rough straights, then get a 250, learn to ride WFO on it and then get the 450, Just my opinion. There are too many spodes on big bikes that can't ride fast. Don't be another one.

I am not new to riding, it's just I don't want a bike that will beat the crap out of me and wear me out fast, I think that is what I will get from a 450. I think I should just stick to 250f's. Have any of you guys ever rode one in the dunes? If so how do the perform?

Need to have the 450 if you plan on putting a sand paddle on it for the dunes. Sand riding is really hard on machinery and can get pretty dangerous out here in AZ along with the drunks on quads and cagers in sand rails. 250 would be good for desert riding and nice on tighter trails....Depends on what you are into. I like to get away from noobs on quads and sand rails myself. I ride with a bunch of different people on different bikes and the 250s do great also. Great riding in AZ until the furnace gets going in May. When the temps get over 100 even at night it is best to ride from around daylight to 9 or 10 AM then have plans to find AC and refreshments:)

The only real way to tell if I think the 450 would be ok for me is to go to the track and see if someone will let me take a spin. I wish dealers would let you demo ride a bike before you bought it, even if it was just a spin around the parking lot. Let me ask you 450 owners this, are 450's tough to keep the front wheel on the ground? I don't want a bike that is constantly trying wheelie on me.