Aftermarket Headlamp Bulbs

Looking for information from anyone regarding their opinions on aftermarket headlamp bulbs. Yes, I did do a search first, but came up with nada, zero, zip on the subject.

Has anyone out there changed out the OEM bulb out for a brighter one, without drawing too much juice from the charging system. Need to know what brand, model and bulb type/wattage to use.

I am looking to put more light on the roadway at night. I Hit a deer once on a bike and do not wish to repeat same. :thumbsup: I also want to keep the bike stock looking at the same time.

Deer Shy in NY

I first installed a SilverStar in one of the two headlights of my DL1000. This makes a good comparison cause you can cover one (while parked) with a piece of cardbord and see the difference. Did the DR promptly. The SilverStar is by Sylvania (H4 ST) Cost about $20 and is available at most chain Discount auto stores. They are noticably whiter, brighter, better. It is not like you have a 747 landing behind you but it is cheap and easy, quick and good - kinda like sex when you were a teenager. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

The SilverStar is by Sylvania (H4 ST) Cost about $20 and is available at most chain Discount auto stores. They are noticably whiter, brighter, better.

Thanks for the post. :bonk: Does this type of bulb use the same, or more wattage than the stock bulb?. Did you also notice if this bulb projected further out than the stock light. I do not plan on out riding the light, just want to get the right bulb first, without starting a bulb collection, trying to find the right one. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the post. :bonk: Does this type of bulb use the same, or more wattage than the stock bulb?. Did you also notice if this bulb projected further out than the stock light. I do not plan on out riding the light, just want to get the right bulb first, without starting a bulb collection, trying to find the right one. :thumbsup:

The SilverStar is 65/45. Stock may be 60/55 if memory serves. It is exactly the same size. Another option that I have no experience with is available @ PIAA.COM. Their bulbs use 60/55, Your chance to Guiney Geiney Giney Pig for the group?

I ordered 2 bulbs from JC whitney for about $7 ea. One was 55/60 and one 80/100W. It stated "2X brighter than stock" for the 55/60W . I installed the 80/100W. It was brighter but not much - still way under lighted. The bike had no problem with with the battery keeping charged, rode that like for a year. I ended up going with the buell which is not cheap, not easy and is real good. Not sure how it would compare to a $20 bulb. I looked into bulbs and was frustrated at the lack of comparable specs, even with the real high dollar stuff. they still just brag about brightness w/o giving anything you could compare. Now I suppose I'll have to look into the bulb thing for the buell

The SilverStar is 65/45. Stock may be 60/55 if memory serves. It is exactly the same size. Another option that I have no experience with is available @ PIAA.COM. Their bulbs use 60/55, Your chance to Guiney Geiney Giney Pig for the group?

Why does the fat kid always have to be the Guinea Pig for the group. The same thing happened when I was younger. I'm Irish and would hang out with some of my Irish buddies. We were looking for better fitting condoms. You know about the Irish curse, don't you. Well, guess what, I was the Guinea Pig that time too and you know the damn thing was too big for me, so it fell off and I had to marry the girl. So now I have a collection of 11 unused condoms, 2 girls that need the seat put down when they go and I am not going to make the same mistake again. That's why I am reading these posts, to see who was the sacrificial lamb before I came along. I just don't want to start a new collection of something.

Why does the fat kid always have to be the Guinea Pig for the group. The same thing happened when I was younger. I'm Irish and would hang out with some of my Irish buddies. We were looking for better fitting condoms. You know about the Irish curse, don't you. Well, guess what, I was the Guinea Pig that time too and you know the damn thing was too big for me, so it fell off and I had to marry the girl. So now I have a collection of 11 unused condoms, 2 girls that need the seat put down when they go and I am not going to make the same mistake again. That's why I am reading these posts, to see who was the sacrificial lamb before I came along. I just don't want to start a new collection of something.

Well you certainly shed light on that. We use exterinal cathaterizers (industrial condoms with tubing) in drysuits for long decompressions. You get those from behind the counter after you answer the dred question "size please?" But back to the bulb, perhaps someone has already run that gauntlet. I will check a couple of other forums.

Well you certainly shed light on that. We use exterinal cathaterizers (industrial condoms with tubing) in drysuits for long decompressions. You get those from behind the counter after you answer the dred question "size please?" But back to the bulb, perhaps someone has already run that gauntlet. I will check a couple of other forums.

http://11109.rapidforum.com/area=104 has a good thread on the silverstar and other bulbs.

Thanks fl-cracker, I am going to try out the Brightstar Bulb. I am trying to get ahold of a light meter for a proper comparison of the two bulbs instead of just someone saying, yeah it's brighter. I will post the results when I get it swapped out. :thumbsup:

The bulb is only half of the battle with the shape and quality of the reflector being the other. With the same bulbs and only one plugged in the Vstrom makes better light than the DR. BTW any bulb that achieves whiteness by filtering out the lower wave length light is losing output and is generally considered BS. Putting CTB (blue gel) over a light increases the Kelvin rating by robbing output. Looking forward to your analysis.

BTW any bulb that achieves whiteness by filtering out the lower wave length light is losing output and is generally considered BS. Putting CTB (blue gel) over a light increases the Kelvin rating by robbing output. Looking forward to your analysis.

Not to sound any more ignorant than I have to be, but you did put this bulb in your DR already, didn't you?. I have heard of measuring light by both candle power and lumens, but is the kelvin rating.

Not to sound any more ignorant than I have to be, but you did put this bulb in your DR already, didn't you?. I have heard of measuring light by both candle power and lumens, but is the kelvin rating.

Kelvin is the average of the wavelength of light. visible light (for humans) is between Infrared (long wavelength) and ultraviolet (short wavelength). A standand incadesent bulb is 3200K full sunlight is 5600K. If you wish to use a incadesent movie light to add fill in an outdoor movie shoot you put CTB (Color Temperature Blue) gel over the light to filter out the lower wavelenght light to leave the higher - whiter. This reduces total light output. :thumbsup: But wait, here is the big answer. howstuffworks.com - science stuff - physical science - how light works - frequencies and other topics. Knock yourself out.

Kelvin is the average of the wavelength of light. visible light (for humans) is between Infrared (long wavelength) and ultraviolet (short wavelength). A standand incadesent bulb is 3200K full sunlight is 5600K. If you wish to use a incadesent movie light to add fill in an outdoor movie shoot you put CTB (Color Temperature Blue) gel over the light to filter out the lower wavelenght light to leave the higher - whiter. This reduces total light output. :thumbsup:But wait, here is the big answer. howstuffworks.com - science stuff - physical science - how light works - frequencies and other topics. Knock yourself out.

Cool, did you know that link even has a section on duct tape and it's uses. Gives me idea on how to keep the condom from falling off again. thumbsup: