Sign in to follow this  

buy an 06 CRF450?

I've watched a few CRF's blow up in the last couple years, two of which I know were "well-maintained"...1 was a 250 the other a 04 450. I just sold my 05 YZ250 2-stroke and a dealer nearby has 06, yes 06 CRF450's for about 5900 OTD. But even on this forum I keep reading about a lot of problems, namely valves. Why should I buy? Seriously, if I had more confidence in the Honda CRF, I'd buy in a flash. I also own an 05 YZ250F and it has been great, but the YZF 450's are more $$$. Am also looking at KTM's, BIG $$$$$. Not trying to slam Honda, but what could I expect? Thanks for reading, Mark

hate to say this but if a guy were to run the crf hard or any bike for that matter- all the time--which is what it is meant to do--catastrophys can occur--the 06 cylinder head has softer valve seats so the durability is improved in that area so i say go with the 06 because we all know it is one bad mama jama--i still think my 03 is the sheet :thumbsup:

But even on this forum I keep reading about a lot of problems, namely valves. Why should I buy? Seriously, if I had more confidence in the Honda CRF, I'd buy in a flash.

Hey Mark,

I hate to blow holes through your post, but the '05/06's dont have any problems, valves or drivetrain.

A ton of what you have been reading is in the early model 450's when Honda DID have some valve issues. But they have been addressing each problem, and had most of them figured out in 04, and solved. In 05 they started honing bike performance, and in 06 they made changes to help enhance this.

What a ton of people dont realize is the maintenance factor, and keeping the valves checked, and when out of limits, after the 2nd shim job, its probably time for some head work, and they are resulting in major bucks and failure. Dont get me wrong, Sh!t can happen, and the thing just gernade. But I havent really seen anything completely negative, especially in the 05/06 models that's saying "Dont Buy Me, I'm a MONEY pit."

When you start adding on extra goodies, cams, pipe, jetting, ect, its putting more stress on these things, and without complete proper maintenance, things will happen.

Take the new KX250F, I wouldnt own one is someone paid me. The guy at Cycle-Dynamics has at least 1-2 of them in his shop needing everything from Top End work, to complete engine. He even said they made them like crap, and they are blowing up like crazy. 2 weeks ago he said he had 6 of them in his shop, all 06's, and he had one with a bill of over $3k and he still wasnt done.

By no means are the Honda's screaming this type of attention, so buy one!! You'll be happy!! :thumbsup:

Why did you sell the 05 yz250? They are very good bikes as well.

I've watched a few CRF's blow up in the last couple years, two of which I know were "well-maintained"...1 was a 250 the other a 04 450. I just sold my 05 YZ250 2-stroke and a dealer nearby has 06, yes 06 CRF450's for about 5900 OTD. But even on this forum I keep reading about a lot of problems, namely valves. Why should I buy? Seriously, if I had more confidence in the Honda CRF, I'd buy in a flash. I also own an 05 YZ250F and it has been great, but the YZF 450's are more $$$. Am also looking at KTM's, BIG $$$$$. Not trying to slam Honda, but what could I expect? Thanks for reading, Mark

Chances are if you need us to try and "talk you into getting a CRF450" because you've heard stuff about them on here the bike isn't for you. There are so many opinions on this forum instead of facts that I would not trust anyone telling you what you should get or why. In owning one along with quite a few of my riding buddies the issues/problems reported on here have never happened to any of us. Oh wait, one of them the chain snapped but that's it. Not to say problems won't happen, but I don't think that they're happening as often as people say on here or as much as some would like you to believe they are. Maintenance is the key with any bike and every brand has their downfalls, but I have not had one with my CRF yet. I've put many hours on it, not one problem, valves still in spec. The CRF450 is a great bike and I love it, but you should buy whatever fits you the best instead of judging off of opinions. Even the shootouts are crap because they to are riders with just their "opinions". Whichever color you choose you'll be happy. But in my opinion $5900 OTD is one hell of a price for that bike. I would do it in a heartbeat :thumbsup:

Chances are if you need us to try and "talk you into getting a CRF450" because you've heard stuff about them on here the bike isn't for you. There are so many opinions on this forum instead of facts that I would not trust anyone telling you what you should get or why. In owning one along with quite a few of my riding buddies the issues/problems reported on here have never happened to any of us. Oh wait, one of them the chain snapped but that's it. Not to say problems won't happen, but I don't think that they're happening as often as people say on here or as much as some would like you to believe they are. Maintenance is the key with any bike and every brand has their downfalls, but I have not had one with my CRF yet. I've put many hours on it, not one problem, valves still in spec. The CRF450 is a great bike and I love it, but you should buy whatever fits you the best instead of judging off of opinions. Even the shootouts are crap because they to are riders with just their "opinions". Whichever color you choose you'll be happy. But in my opinion $5900 OTD is one hell of a price for that bike. I would do it in a heartbeat :thumbsup:

Nicely put Jeff :bonk:

I have had zero issues with my almost year old 05 450R. Just keep up on oil changes and keep the air filter clean and you wont have any problems. There is so much power there is just no need to run it at the redline very often which could lead to prolems. I use it as a play bike and for riding motocross and I have been very happy with it. Only hassles I would say are air filter is a pain to install, stock chain is junk and the transmission drain bolt needs to be carefully installed to avoid stripping.

05's and 06's are solid. Do a search.

Thanks for the replies. To answer a couple questions: 1. sold the YZ250 because I thought it was hard to ride, twitchy/nervous that I'm hoping a 4-stroke will smooth out. 2. The dealer with the price I quoted is Motoworld in El Cajon, 5395 plus fees. Maybe the reliability issues have been resolved, but I hear they're hard to work on. Air filter I've heard about, you mention the oil drain plug, also heard doing anything around the head including simply changing the spark plug is a major hour long evolution. I change oil frequently including the filter (every 2-4 rides, always after a race) always clean the air filter, etc 46 yrs old with 35 years experience. Honda's a great name; just concerned about durability, and I'm reminded that the maintenance that IS required is cumbersome on the CRF's (I hear the frame is hard to maneuver around, etc), which is probably what deters many from properly/routinely doing it. The other candidates I'm looking at are the YZ450 and the KTM 450 XC. Both considerably more money.

...but I hear they're hard to work on. Air filter I've heard about, you mention the oil drain plug, also heard doing anything around the head including simply changing the spark plug is a major hour long evolution...

If any of these simple tasks are beyond your mechanical capability, then don't buy the CRF (or any fourstroke for that matter). Sounds like you want the fourstroke ridability without the maintenance, and for that, I have no suggestion. Maybe you should have kept the YZ.

At 46 with this much moto experience you don't have any friends with CRFs?

These bikes are no harder to work on than any other four strokes. Getting to the head is 5 minutes more effort than on a two stroke for crying out loud. You can't remove a gas tank and seat?

:thumbsup:

Feallock

You're gonna hear many opinions and comments along with a little hype, so I'm going to be as factual as I can and hopefully put this thing to rest. This is the way I feel about the 06.

1. Is the 06 reliable? Yes, very.

2. Will it require more maintenance than a pinger? Definitely, but for me, it's part of the fun. I enjoy working on mine, but I have never had to "fix" anything, nor have my valves had to be shimmed.

3. Value? I think you won't find a better bike and you can get it for less than the others. The Yamaha is historically more reliable up to 04, but I think that is history. Right now it's hard to get the 06YZ (not enough built on initial release) and you probably won't find a discount. The KTM I'm sure is a great bike, but not for the cost, particularly for what it costs to maintain or repair.

4. I believe that 90% of those that went to any of the aforementioned fourstrokes will never go back to a pinger. They are that good now.

5. The CRF is the lightest stock and it handles like a dream. I've never ridden a bike I like better.

6. Is it any harder to work on than other 4 strokes? Not at all. It is put together very well. The craftsmenship of this bike is impressive, with the exception of a few bolts that are hard to get started (threaded) like that tranny drain bolt and the valve cover bolts. I've noticed it takes about a minute of extra patience, but not as hard as some like to claim.

See if you can borrow one from someone for about two good hours of riding. You won't be able to buy one fast enough!

Feallock

You're gonna hear many opinions and comments along with a little hype, so I'm going to be as factual as I can and hopefully put this thing to rest. This is the way I feel about the 06.

1. Is the 06 reliable? Yes, very.

2. Will it require more maintenance than a pinger? Definitely, but for me, it's part of the fun. I enjoy working on mine, but I have never had to "fix" anything, nor have my valves had to be shimmed.

3. Value? I think you won't find a better bike and you can get it for less than the others. The Yamaha is historically more reliable up to 04, but I think that is history. Right now it's hard to get the 06YZ (not enough built on initial release) and you probably won't find a discount. The KTM I'm sure is a great bike, but not for the cost, particularly for what it costs to maintain or repair.

4. I believe that 90% of those that went to any of the aforementioned fourstrokes will never go back to a pinger. They are that good now.

5. The CRF is the lightest stock and it handles like a dream. I've never ridden a bike I like better.

6. Is it any harder to work on than other 4 strokes? Not at all. It is put together very well. The craftsmenship of this bike is impressive, with the exception of a few bolts that are hard to get started (threaded) like that tranny drain bolt and the valve cover bolts. I've noticed it takes about a minute of extra patience, but not as hard as some like to claim.

See if you can borrow one from someone for about two good hours of riding. You won't be able to buy one fast enough!

:thumbsup: Yep I believe the man has hit it right on the money!!!!!

I had an '04 CRF450R and sold it and bought an '06 CRF450R.

The '04 did have premature wear on the intake valves, so I replaced them with the Kibblewhite SS valves and springs. I had no other problems with my '04. And once I changed the valves, they were fine also.

I have put quite a bit of time on my '06 and have had zero problems to date, other than tightening all the spokes on day 1, putting on a real chain and replacing the front tire to a D756.

Honda makes the most reliable/durable motocross bikes. Ask your mechanic at the motocross shop which bikes he sees the most often in for repairs. Kawi's, Suzi's and KTM's.

The Yamaha 250F is the most durable 4-stroke motocross motor available.

I have an 05 with one very hard season on it and looking to put another on it. No problems other than the regular maintenance. The bike is solid love it. :thumbsup:

Hey Mark,

I hate to blow holes through your post, but the '05/06's dont have any problems, valves or drivetrain.

Not true. The '05 are still having valve problems. I just had to replace the intake valves on one because of the classic mushrooming that occurs.

Maybe the reliability issues have been resolved, but I hear they're hard to work on. Air filter I've heard about, you mention the oil drain plug, also heard doing anything around the head including simply changing the spark plug is a major hour long evolution. I change oil frequently including the filter (every 2-4 rides, always after a race) always clean the air filter, etc 46 yrs old with 35 years experience. Honda's a great name; just concerned about durability, and I'm reminded that the maintenance that IS required is cumbersome on the CRF's (I hear the frame is hard to maneuver around, etc), which is probably what deters many from properly/routinely doing it. The other candidates I'm looking at are the YZ450 and the KTM 450 XC. Both considerably more money.

The only thing here that I'll agree with is the air filter, that is a pain, but it's truly not that bad considering the type of bike your getting in return. Also, since all the four strokes seem to be moving into the direction of aluminum parameter frames, compact chassis, etc. all the other maintenance issues you've heard of moving around in the Honda will be exactly the same with the other bikes. I'm a maintenance snob and work on mine even when it doesn't require any more tinkering and it's not bad at all, in fact it's very easy. Oil bolt, air filter, regular maintenance, valve issues, etc. has all been very exaggerated on TT and the only way to prove it to yourself is to own one and see that it's not as bad as things sound and the bike is one hell of a machine. :thumbsup:

But seriously, in reading the posts and your replies I don't think you're quite ready to consider any brand of 4-stroke until you do some research. Things you've heard about the Honda you'll see that other brands experience basically the same issues, just in different mannerisms. Go to your shops, look at the bikes, their designs, and if you can ride them all and decide for yourself which one you want. All of them have their strengths and weaknesses. For me though, the Honda is great and I love it regardless of what is spewed on this forum about the bike. I've been riding for 22 yrs. and have never owned a bike that has made me a better rider in all aspects like my CRF has.

But the last and most important thing here in my opinion would be for you to stop reading this thread and go find out for yourself which one you want and why. Having us tell you why we love it or hate it is not a way to determine if you should or should not buy a bike. Good Luck with your decision.

my 2003 crf 450 had approx. 100 hours of racing on it when i sold it.

Problems were the intake valves (worn after 60 hours) and after 80 hours a tooth broke off a gearbox sprocket and some were worn out (maybe bad shifting on my part)

my 2005 raced for 45 hours never had any problems except i had to loc-tite the right-side cranckshaft seal because it became dislocated twice.

Clutch can't take much abuse either but i guess no other bike can.

In my opinion crf450's are easy to work on, air filter acess problems can be easily solved with a twin air kit or some practicing.

Have a 2006 crf450 now and already damaged the oil drain plug with first oil change while being extra careful because i knew of this problem. This is really critical and honda should solve this. In general i think it's a great bike