Sign in to follow this  

riding/hiking boots

any input on dual sport boots that are ok for 1-2 mile hikes? I want prot ection and traction, Vibram sole? thanks, defsailor

'97 ATK 605

I found that ARC's Carona ATV boots are about as walkable as my work boots. Of course the tradeoff is in the amount of protection they offer on the bike. It is much thinner leather and less padding around the ankle but still has good foot and shin padding. Since most of my riding is done in work boots anyway, they worked fine for me on the few times a year when I wanted to be in riding boots. I am still kicking myself for eBaying them and buying MX boots. Cheap too at like $90. You could afford them and real MX boots.

Try on a pair of Sidi Discovery boots.. Once they a broke in they are very comfortable to walk in. However the down side is they don't offer the protection of mx boots..

my MSR MXT boots are pretty pliable for walking, but I'd hate to have to walk a mile in them ... I'd probably take 'em off and walk barefoot before I'd do that .. :thumbsup:

Gaerne also makes a trials boot the is similar to the explorer but better in many riders eyes on advrider.com. Go over there and search on Gaerne trials in the equipment forum and you should get some results. the Explorer and Infinity get good reviews as well.

I have a pair of Alpinestar M6's with the enduro sole. After they break in, they are walkable, and with a coat of Sno-seal they are waterproof.

I have Sidi Discovery's and Hebo and Garne Trials boots. Hands down, the trials boots are the most comfortable and make great hiking boots. The Sidi's are a little stiffer, but when broken in are great. Both types are much better than MX boots.

It just depends on your riding. If you are DS offroad, I would go for the Sidis. If you DS riding is primarily gravel or dirt roads, the trials boots are great.

I used to wear SIDI Discovery boots until I saw someone break an ankle in similar footwear. It's like driving without a seatbelt. Works most of the time, but does not offer the best protection. Of course if you're riding a motorcycle, you are willing to go without a seatbelt. Just try not to fool yourself into thinking you are protected when you are not.

My advice would be to wear MX boots and carry a pair of lightweight shoes in a backpack or top case.

I am sticking to MX boots too. My last couple DS rides I fell with my bike on me and had to have someone lift my bike to get out from under (I'm Old, O.K?) And my foot hit a huge rock at speed yielding major black and blue and soreness. I wear an old pair of Hi-Point boots and my next pair (birthday in April!) will be the top of the line Fox boots.

I wear my safety gear to protect this old body while riding, not as a convenience to hike in. I would rather have an unfortunate uncomfortable hike, than an unfortunate uncomfortable broken ankle! :thumbsup:

Yeah but Dualsport rides are mostly roads and mild trails. If you are traveling the Trials boot is the best compromise. If you have a dirt worthy bike using roads to connect the trails then MX boots are the way to go.

I am sticking to MX boots too. My last couple DS rides I fell with my bike on me and had to have someone lift my bike to get out from under (I'm Old, O.K?) And my foot hit a huge rock at speed yielding major black and blue and soreness. I wear an old pair of Hi-Point boots and my next pair (birthday in April!) will be the top of the line Fox boots.

I wear my safety gear to protect this old body while riding, not as a convenience to hike in. I would rather have an unfortunate uncomfortable hike, than an unfortunate uncomfortable broken ankle! :thumbsup:

I think like you do. If camping/hiking then I'll strap on some teva sandals or hiking shoes to my backpack or in the dirt bagz. Shoes that are good for hiking and offer top-line protection while riding don't exist. IMHO.

I've been thinking about either the Gaerne Explorer

I just got a pair of Explorers from Brockton Cycle. I previously posted on another thread about having size 10 EE feet and was having a hard time getting a proper fit. I ordered these in my regular size and they fit my wide troll feet just a little snug. They also fit my 18" calves, which was a bigger plus. They have Vibram lug soles and were pretty flexible when I first got them. I have now worn them 6 times in the past 2 weeks and they are losening up and breaking in nicely. They have 3 buckles and velcro to seal/lock them and the buckles seem sturdy enough. You could easily hike that distance in them and they are about the same weight as a pair of work boots if your concerned about weight. I just can't pull my jean pant legs down over them. My second choice would have been a pair of Chippewa motorcycle boots as I was concerned more about the width.

what about something like this?

Icon Boots

They say that they are for ATVing. They look like they would work good for casual dual sport riding where you want something better than a shoe but more walkable than a MX boot.

They say that they are for ATVing.

There's a reason motorcycle boots don't have laces. Imagine the frustration of needing to put your foot down, only to find out that your lace has caught on something.

How do I get my Garnier G-12 boots fixed. Can't find the website.

TManner

How do I get my Garnier G-12 boots fixed. Can't find the website.

TManner

Might make a new thread,beings this one is is of a slightly different subject and also from 06..

Just posted on another thread, I love my Sidi Discovery's.