Sign in to follow this  

Thinking about a KX 100

We're thinking about a used KX 100 for my son who has outgrown his TTR125. He loves to go to the tracks but we also do quite a bit of trail riding in the mountains. I like 4 strokes but unfortunately, none of the factories make one in the "in between" size.

How much maintenance is required of these things? We'll be looking at an '03 this weekend. How often are topends required to be gone though? Will it work for trail riding? Are there quiet pipes that can be bought to keep it quiet in the mountains?

Lots of questions I know, but thanks for the input.

Craig

yes good chose the kx 100 is a great learner bike for kids like your son. no they dont require alot of mantince other then the normal air filter, oil change, and jetting stuff. top ends depending on how hard your son rides the bike maybe check it every 4-6 months and if it needs a change do it. yes this bike is good for trail riding because it has alot of bottem end (due to its power valve motor) and also this is a fairly quiet bike but if you want to you can buy and fmf Q pipe for it and it would quiet it up a bit.

yeah if its jetted right you shouldnt foul plugs that often

Yeah i might buy one to. What about fouling plugs and BS like that in the middle of the woods?

That would be conidtional for the rider. My experiences with the 100 fouling plugs has been good though. But if it is a newer rider on the bike, its never a bad idea to bring a plug along with you on longer rides.

yeah if its jetted right you shouldnt foul plugs that often

we've never fouled one. we use a slightly hotter plug than stock, but we're also using the same racing premix oil (more spooge-prone at trail-speeds), and riding it like a slow timid girl. haven't had the slightest problem with plug fouling. we do carry an extra plug tho. i carry one for my ktm too. never needed it in 15,000 miles of riding tho.

Yeah i might buy one to. What about fouling plugs and BS like that in the middle of the woods?

I only fouled one plug on my KX100 when I had it... that was when we switched the brand of premix in the bike and didnt change the plug.... always carry a spare though, just in case...

Thanks for the replies . Keep 'em coming.

What's a good brand of premix to use on a 2 smoker?

kx250kev, I read that thread and I appreciate the link. We'll probably be bringing it home Saturday if they treat us right on the trade in.

As far as Premix goes, I prefer Yamalube 2R synthetic. It's good stuff, burns cleaner than regular oil and provides better lubrication than regular oil.

L.L.

'04 KX500

I just picked up a 95 KX100 tonight for my daughter. It seems like she likes it, it fits her perfectly and she has no problem starting it or picking it up from the ground. Once I get a flywheel weight and lower the gearing a bit I think it will be perfect.

What kind of mix ratio are most people running on these?

How much maintenance is required of these things? We'll be looking at an '03 this weekend. How often are topends required to be gone though? Will it work for trail riding?

I had an '03 for my son a few years ago. Great bike for track or trail. He entered a hare scramble & won 1st in his class, 2nd overall. They have a two ring piston (unlike any other 80, 85, or 125) so the topends hold up good. :thumbsup:

My G/F has an 03 and she can climb the hell out of anything with it. She is 5'-4" and weighs about 115 lbs. We run about 32-1 ratio fuel and use Yamalube R but it still spews oil down the pipe probably due to trail riding. It smokes for a second when she starts it but never when she rides. I could lean the mixture out but I guess it's better to have too much oil then not enough. Never fouled a plug and it runs like a champ. Bought it new and she rides the hell out of it and it still looks new

i have a kx100 and i race enduro hare scrambles and i have never fouled a plug in the woods!!

I'll be ordering a 12 tooth front sprocket to make mine a bit more trail worthy and easier for the daughter to ride.

The exhaust is plenty loud, think I have a race system on it. What kind of spark arrestor/quiet exhaust is available?

You guys are talking about/considering quiet exhausts.....bless you! :thumbsup:

"quiet pipes will save our sport" I think I'll make that my new signature. :bonk:

TNTMO, now that you have the 100, you'll need to update your garage. Pix please. :thumbsup:

You guys are talking about/considering quiet exhausts.....bless you! :thumbsup:

"quiet pipes will save our sport" I think I'll make that my new signature. :bonk:

That would make a great signature, maybe I'll do something like that :thumbsup:

OK, thanks to you guys, we just got home with it. It's an '03 and is in really good shape. The stock exhaust is relatively quiet in my opinion. Boy, my son sure is excited. This will be a much better bike for him considering his skills. Now the problem is, I won't have a prayer to be able to keep up with him! Now he'll be able to develop his skills even further. When it's time to upgrade again, he'll be ready for a KX 450F or YZ 450F! He's already started to save for that upgrade. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the input.

Craig