Sign in to follow this  

Spring break family ride ideas

I am looking for ideas of where to take the family this year for spring break. We have gone to the White Wash and San Rafael areas for the past several years, but I wondered if there is somewhere else that I should try.

I am looking for trails that are suitable for young kids on small bikes (xr70), teenagers on medium sized bikes (crf230), adults on big bikes (crf250x, drz400), and my wife on a quad (Kodiak 450). Looking for fun trails, but not overly technical.

Are there any decent family trails over in the St. George corner of Utah? Or anywhere else where the weather would be tolerable in mid April. We are in SLC.

I have heard of people riding in the mesquite NV area. But I am not familiar with it my self.

We're actually going to White Wash during spring break for exactly those requirements. :thumbsup:

Had heard of Kilpecker dunes out towards Rock Springs, WY. Similar terrain, less people(from what I'm told).

FamilyRider. You have a lot of the same "requirements" as I do and for all the same reasons. I seem to recall that we were both down at White Wash last Easter at the same time. We have been there for the past 3 easters in a row and it's becoming sort of a tradition. Before that, we have spent Easter out at Knolls and at Cherry Creek and they have all been successful. We seem to end up at one of those 3 locations every time because they seem to be most conducive for families.

I have also been to the Swell but despite having some great riding, it isn't as family friendly and there isn't much (if any) real nice open camping spots.

St. George could be nice if you went out to the Warner Valley area (south of Hurricane). I was there last April for a desert race with two of my young boys. There is also the Sand Hollow State Park area down there but having young kids (BLM rangers) and nothing but sand (difficult for little bikes) may not make it the best place.

Thanks for the info...

Today on the Internet I found some information about the Hurricane Valley Trail System. Is Warner Valley part of that system? Has anyone ridden there?

I am not interested in Sand Hollow - my wife on her quad is the only one that does okay in sand. The kids and I avoid it. Are there other good family trails in the Hurricane area? Anybody have some trail recommendations?

If we don't find something that looks very interesting, we will stick with the White Wash/Caineville/San Rafael area again. Just looking for something new.

mknight - maybe we will end up at White Wash again. If so, maybe we can hook up and trade trail recommendations, etc.

I don't know anything about the Hurricane Valley Trail System. I don't know if it is the same area. Like I said, I was there in April of last year and my 10 year old son raced his 65 in the USRA desert race. He had fun but when I asked him if he wanted to go again this year, he said he didn't because the course was too rocky and sandy. If I was closer to St. George I would probably consider going out there, but I really haven't done any exploring in the area. I raced down there about 5 years ago in the same area but don't remember a whole lot about it other than lots of typical desert sand washes and stuff.

I always like finding new areas, but finding a place that is conducive for the entire family is a challenge sometimes. We're hoping/planning on going to White Wash again this year, although we may skip out a day early and camp at Goblin Valley for a day (not to ride, just to hike and camp). We swung by there on our way home last year and the kids loved it so much they want to go back.

If you head over to Goblin Valley, you might also consider hiking Little Wild Horse Canyon. It is a great hike for the kids (if it isn't wet). Most people do the entire Little Wild Horse/Bell's Canyon loop. That is a pretty long hike. We just do an up and back in Little Wild Horse. Once it starts to open up, we turn back.

We would spend 1/2 day at Goblin and then 1/2 doing the hike.

Goblin Valley is also a great place to drive R/C cars, if you are in to that. I don't know if it is legal, but the terrain is ideal.

If you head over to Goblin Valley, you might also consider hiking Little Wild Horse Canyon. It is a great hike for the kids (if it isn't wet). Most people do the entire Little Wild Horse/Bell's Canyon loop. That is a pretty long hike. We just do an up and back in Little Wild Horse. Once it starts to open up, we turn back.

We would spend 1/2 day at Goblin and then 1/2 doing the hike.

Goblin Valley is also a great place to drive R/C cars, if you are in to that. I don't know if it is legal, but the terrain is ideal.

It's funny that you mention that, because Little Wild Horse Canyon is something that I've been wanting to do for years. Several years ago we camped down there (near temple mountain) but the kids were too young to do too much hiking. I think we're going to bail on White Wash a day early and camp at Goblin Valley or the Swell and do the Goblin Valley/Wild Horse Canyon thing.