150+ miler today. CC to Opal Mountain Rd

Weather was 60 degrees, no wind, blue skies. Awesome. :eek:

We had one hill victim :thumbsup: , one gas tank ran dry, and my bike has sprung a small coolant leak somewhere under the tank. Minor stuff for such a long ride. :thumbsup:

We also came under fire from F18s (I think) Air operations all around us, sonic booms, and I believe some ordinance was being dropped somewhere. It's a bit startling to hear this going on all around, while enjoying a perfect Wednesday afternoon ride.

Going further and further next time as the days daylight gets extended as the year progresses. :bonk:

What are your average speeds?

It would take me about 12 hours of solid riding, no stops, to ride that far on the single track up here. Did you take any pictures?

What kinda terrain?

What are your average speeds?

It would take me about 12 hours of solid riding, no stops, to ride that far on the single track up here. Did you take any pictures?

What kinda terrain?

We did this in about 7 hours. Mostly open desert, roads or wide trails -- typical valley desert floor stuff. Opal Mtn Rd is fairly rocky, and climbs pretty high giving some spectacular views. On the way back we took the single track out of Husky, which is not challenging. Initially I thought, man this is great -- a nice little work out. About 2/3rds into it I had the sweat going good, and my hands were getting really sore. I'm not riding enough. :thumbsup:

Great ride it was......... :thumbsup: lucky only the bike was slightly injured nothing on my part ,Nice to meet ya,had a great time . Dave

Did you guys have a gps with you. I would love to see the track. Maybe get my wife out there for a warm up for her first DS ride. Sounds like lots of fun. I wish I knew that area better.

Which bike did you ride? Did you have a gas stop somewhere ?

I have most of the track on the GPS, I'll see about capturing its trace on the topo.

Chris, it's the YZ that sprouted the coolant leak. This was its first ride since coming back from servicing. I expect to find a hose with a loose hose clamp or something just as innocuous.

We all filled up at Johanessburg initially and had covered ~125 miles before Dave's KTM 450 ran out of gas. This happened only a mile or two from the staging area, but my siphon hose finally came in handy. :thumbsup: Also on the ride were 2 XR650s.

It was an incredible day of riding.

I'm now looking forward to a Jawbone to Randsburg ride. :bonk: I'll be in Vegas 10th thru the 12th of February.

Sounds like an excellent day. If you can share a GPS trackfile, pls let me know. I've got plans to ride that area on Feb 9 and 10, and would like to do some exploring.

R

Weather was 60 degrees, no wind, blue skies. Awesome. :eek:

We had one hill victim :thumbsup: , one gas tank ran dry, and my bike has sprung a small coolant leak somewhere under the tank. Minor stuff for such a long ride. :thumbsup:

We also came under fire from F18s (I think) Air operations all around us, sonic booms, and I believe some ordinance was being dropped somewhere. It's a bit startling to hear this going on all around, while enjoying a perfect Wednesday afternoon ride.

Going further and further next time as the days daylight gets extended as the year progresses. :bonk:

Sounds like another great long loop. I hope to hook up with you all one of these days soon. Just want to keep my new WR450 out of the f#%ing 6 foot deep washouts!

Sounds like another great long loop. I hope to hook up with you all one of these days soon. Just want to keep my new WR450 out of the f#%ing 6 foot deep washouts!

I saw the infamous Larry Trench, and gave it a wide berth out of respect and fear to its bike killing prowess.

FWIW here is the trackfile over laid on the Topo map. Hard to capture it all and still have the Topo SW display enough detail. I thought what is here strikes a good balance.

Enjoy!

http://aals1.home.att.net/CC2OpalGPS.jpg