250x vs. 250r power differance?

Hey all,

I'm researching bikes for a possible purchase this spring. I've always been a Honda guy and the CRF's are what I'm looking into right now. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of power differance there is between the CRF250X and the CRF250R? I really like the X because trail riding is what I'm going to be doing, maybe a little aggresive trail riding now and then.

Also, I'm wondering what kind of differance there is between the CRF250X and the CRF450X. I've read the 250X is much better for tight trails and such, but I'm wondering if it would be enough power to keep me amused. I figure the 450X could always be geared down to help with the tight stuff and have plenty of power that I would never need to upgrade to anything else.

My experience is mostly with Honda XR's and XL's, my last dirt bike was an XL250 which was low on power but rock solid dependable. I want my next dirt bike to be much more powerful with a better suspension. Will the CRF250X fit that description? Any opinions are very much appreciated...

Brian

I have a 250X. If your coming off a XL250, the 250X will keep you plenty entertained. Twice the power and suspension.

I would not recommend the 450X for tight trail work, unless you are an experienced rider. I have ridden a 450 and I liked it, but I can go faster, easier on my 250. I'm a Senior A hare scramble racer.

In my experience, if you're 200 lbs and ride at elevation, the 250X will get boring pretty quickly. If you're 160 lb and ride at sea level, it may not. I'm 160 lb and I ride sand/trails pretty aggressively at 5,300 ft elevation; the power level of my '05 250X got boring within a matter of months. I have a 190 lb friend that recently bought a 450X as his first trail bike (he's ridden street bikes for years). He first thought it was way too powerful, but after 3 months, he thinks it's just about right. The big downside with the 450X is the added weight compared to the 250's, but if you're a big guy (6'+, 200lb+), it shouldn't be a problem except in really tight riding.

The 250X has around 40% more power than the XR250 and a really smooth, broad power band. The 250R has about 20 % more power than the 250X and weighs 20+ lb lighter, but it feels like more of a difference than that. The 450X has about 70% more power than the 250X and weighs around 35 lb more; but the added weight isn't really that obvious until you really tip (or drop) the bike. You're best bet is to bum a ride on each of the candidate bikes in a typical ride area and remember that you acclimate to power pretty quickly. If the power feels "good" or "OK" on your test ride, it'll probably get boring pretty quickly.

CRF250X is the perfect bike for what you have just described. i purchased a new 05 about a year ago and i ride with yz20f's and crf250r's and let me tell you when you hit a wooped out section out in the desert there is a big difference between a motocross bike and an offroad bike. my 250X will smoke the other mx bikes because even though they have the weight advantage thay cant keep there handlebars from flopping around and there back end from bouncing up. the power difference between mx bikes and a 250x is very small. if you are thinking a 250 wont have enough power you would be surprised, going from a xl 250 to this would blow you away they are very fast bike and easy handling too. Billrad

Why worry about the power difference? Get the X, put in an R Cam, R Header, Re-Jet, FMF Pipe and have fun. That is what I did. Now I have the power that I want but have the trail riding suspension that I like. I had a 450R and went to the 250X, I noticed the difference big time. That is why I did the Mods that I did, and I have just the bike that I want. By the way I am a big Guy and the X can haul my lard butt anywhere I want to go, and probably places that I don't. Oh Yeah, don't forget with the X you get that Magic Button. :thumbsup:

Hey 250X4RJ you said that you put an R cam into your X. I was wondering if this was hard or not. thanks

Nope, just swap it out. But if you are going to do this you have to do the other Mods to, I forgot to include opening up the Air box.

Check out this site and look at the CCC Mods.

http://rickramsey.net/CRF250X.htm#X/Rdifferences

The difference between R and X is pretty small. You buy a 250 because you want the light weight and you're willing to give up lots of power to get it. Since I'm 200 lbs., I find the 450s to have the *correct* amount of power, and too much weight. The 250s have the right weight, but they're all under powered. Pick your poison!

the big bore kits like the Thumper Racing 270 or Ice Cube will bridge the gap between the 250 and 450 quite well

if you trail ride, get the X and customize it to what you need to do.

I am 230lbs and a stock 05 X pulls me around just fine

Thanks everyone for your time and input. It's going to be a while before I purchase so I've got more time. My buudy just bought a TRX450 so I will get some kind of taste as to the 450 anyway. Since I'm not going to be doing a real lot of riding anyway the 250 would probably be just fine.

I really wish I could bum a ride on each to to feel it for myself. If Honda made a CRF350X it would be a no brainer, but you can't always get what you want. Thanks again, the people here are a great crowd!

Brian

Yeah, go with the 250X, it will suit you well.

I've curently got a 450R, and really like it. However, I really want electric start, lighting, quiet spark-arrested muffler, and a little more supple suspension.

I ride mostly desert, with an occasional trip to the woods and dunes, as well as some recreational MX. I bought the 450 thinking that I needed the power, and I will probably grow into it, but I haven't used it all yet. I also like to jump a bit. Not huge air, but at least 6 to 8 feet vertically. I don't want something that is going to bottom out flat landing that kind of drop.

So anyway, rather than investing upwards of $1000 on exhaust and suspension mods, I'm thinking that I'd rather sell the 450R, and buy either a 250X or 450X. Until recently I wouldn't have considered the 250, but I'm starting to toss it around for the $1000 difference between the two bikes.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that has a 250X, so I don't have the luxury of test riding one. I weigh about 165 lbs, and ride desert trails pretty aggressivly. Where am I going to notice the power loss of the 250 vs the 450 the most? How does it climb hills? Can it handle sand washes? Can I lift the front tire on command?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Beef, I have both. 450X and 250X and I weigh about 5lb more than you. I ride desert, mountain trails and fire roads. Recluse clutch in each. The 450 is more fun with allot more power but not necessarily faster unless you are above about 40mph. For hill climbing the 250 is no match to the 450 up steep desert sand hills. I have played with the suspension on both bikes and I like the 450s better for all around riding.

Sorry beef, I had to leave the computer for a minute with out answering all your questions. the 450 pulls sand washes better, more power and taller gears. Both bikes can lift the front wheel but the 250 needs a little help at speed. I just happen to weigh both bikes earlier to day on my bathroom scale which is probably accurate to a couple of lbs but both were being weighed for a comparison. 250, front-121, rear 131. 450, front 130, rear 141. That makes the 450 only about 19lbs heavier. The bikes had reserve level fuel and almost identically equip. I have put 3 sets of intake valves in the 250 which is maybe fixed with the 06???? but I would buy another 450 over a 250. My 250 is for sale, perfect condition, if you are still interested.

In my experience, if you're 200 lbs and ride at elevation, the 250X will get boring pretty quickly. If you're 160 lb and ride at sea level, it may not. I'm 160 lb and I ride sand/trails pretty aggressively at 5,300 ft elevation; the power level of my '05 250X got boring within a matter of months. I have a 190 lb friend that recently bought a 450X as his first trail bike (he's ridden street bikes for years). He first thought it was way too powerful, but after 3 months, he thinks it's just about right. The big downside with the 450X is the added weight compared to the 250's, but if you're a big guy (6'+, 200lb+), it shouldn't be a problem except in really tight riding.

Hahaha, how does this work out? I'm 6'0" 145 pounds and I didn't think my 450X was too much power. The weight means nothing to me, I can pick it up and toss it around just fine.

Thanks everyone for your time and input. It's going to be a while before I purchase so I've got more time. My buudy just bought a TRX450 so I will get some kind of taste as to the 450 anyway. Since I'm not going to be doing a real lot of riding anyway the 250 would probably be just fine.

A TRX450R is nothing compared to a CRF450X, the TRX makes the same power as a CRF250R!

Rompin,

I have both an 05' X and 06' R.

The motors are night and day.

The R is better everywhere.

My X is piped, jetted, and Hotcammed and it is still nowhere near as strong as my R.

I thought it might just by my X, so I had my riding buddy, who also has an 05' X, ride my R and he agreed that it wasn't even close.

I am not exactly light, at 6'2 220lbs, but the R has plenty of power for me.

The only complaint (besides lack of the button) I have about the R is that it can break traction too easily. I find myself using a lot of clutch to keep from losing traction.

I am having a Quickshot put on my X and having it dyno tuned, so hopefully it will be closer to my R in torque and HP. If not, I am going to look at getting some R heads and an R cam, as there they are much better.

Beef, if you are close to PDX, let me know and you can ride my R and X and see the difference. You can e-mail me at mike@colbachlaw.com.

Mike C

A TRX450R is nothing compared to a CRF450X, the TRX makes the same power as a CRF250R!

All sarcasm aside, I have owned both a TRX450R and a CRF450R, and the power IS night and day. I don't know if it's a power/weight ratio, or just a different powerband alltogether, but the CRF is WAY more powerfull. Not that the TRX's power sucks, it just isn't comparable.

I can't compare the TRX to a CRF250X, but I think if they have similar power, I would be happy on the the 250. My biggest complaint about the TRX was the suspension...Even with the stiff MX suspension on the CR, I can ride for TWICE as long as I did on the TRX!

Rompin,

My X is piped, jetted, and Hotcammed and it is still nowhere near as strong as my R.

Did you cut your airbox and have a R style header on your aftermarket exhaust? Due to the weight difference and gearing the X will never feel as strong power wise as an R, but I found the airbox cut, rejetting and R header were the main ccc mods that made my bike come alive :thumbsup:

Shredjim,

I have the header, but I have not cut the box.

My X is my mud/rain/nasty trail bike, so I am hesitant to cut open the air box.

Did you notice much of a gain when you cut the box?

Does it get much dirtier with the cut box?

Thanks,

Mike