new KTM

Hey guys, I recently bought a 2006 Honda crf450r and tried the motocross thing. I didn't care for motocross and have ridden it in the woods some. I don't like the bike for woods and want to get a second bike for the woods. Currently my woods setup is a 2005 yz250 with suspension, motor work, 18, 20" wheels, steering damper, rekluse clutch... I have grown found of the KTM and I am considering getting one. I am looking at the 300's and have a few questions. How good are these out of the box and what needs to be done to "woods race" these. My intent is to run the yz in the tight stuff and use the ktm in the more open courses. Is this the best bike for this or are there others that are better suited for this (woods). Thanks.

I've only ridden one 300, and I liked it. I've heard good things about them, but I honestly don't know if it would be much better than your yz in any conditions. A lot of people like them because they have a little more grunt than a 250 down low, but with the way your bike is set up I'd have a hard time justifying the 300. Unless you just want another bike! I know some die hard 300 guys are going to disagree, I'm ready to be flamed!

last week i rode my freinds 2006 yz 250 with the offroad tweaked suspension, fatty pipe, auto clutch, the works. i rode all the technical root rock hill climbs, bar length trails etc. and i found it to do pretty good. the motor is great on the bike. but than later on that day i rode my friends 06 ktm 300 xc-w and i fell in love. when you ride it, it feels like both tires are just hooked on the ground constanly partially do to the awsome motor. it dosent have the same hit as the yz but it sure as the same if not more power all under contol. also the xc-w suspension is set to modeled like an exc but if anything a little more aggressive. and since its wide ratio it would do good in the wide open coures to. personally i think that bike would be good in the open stuff and good in the tight. if you get the chance you should try one out and see how you like it.

...How good are these out of the box and what needs to be done to "woods race" these.
All are "ready to race out-of-the-box" (after handguards, skid, optional pipe guard and springs for your weight -- stock is setup for 190-200lbs).
...Is this the best bike for this or are there others that are better suited for this (woods). Thanks.
All of the 2-stroks are awesome; subtle differences between them -- you can't go wrong IMO. For tight woods, the 200 is hard to beat if you can fit on its slightly smaller frame (say, under 6'/200); fun hit, out turns the others. The 300 is the best all around bike ever made; torque monster. The 250 is a weaker 300 with less bottom and a bit more over-rev. 06 xc or older mxc = close ratio. 06 xcw (or older exc) = wide ratio.

Elton

If I were you I don't think I could justify having 3 bikes with two of them (YZ, KTM) basically set up for the same purpose. If anything I would recomend gettign rid of the crf and picking up the ktm though. My 250sx wtih a flywheel weight has more mid to top than my friends 300exc, but he does have the advantage down low. It's not so much more that I would sell my 250 to get a 300 though. You have done alot of good mods to your yz to make it more than capable in the woods, but if you gotta have a new bike the 300 is tough to beat. My 200xc is more fun though!

That is my intention to get rid of the honda. Anybody know where to find a KTM 300. Every dealer that I talked to in OK is out for the year. A friend mentioned a place in Arkansas but he could not remember the name. Anyone know.

Hey, is this a trick question? I love my KTM and I definitely believe they are the best bone stock bikes out there for woods racing, but they still need to be dialed in and setup just like any other bike out there. No, you don't need some of the extra stuff like you do when converting a 250MX bike, but you'll still need to play with the suspension and put on your protection items. My guess is that nothing bone stock will compare to your setup and dialed in YZ, but once you fiddle with the 300 a little, you'll be happy. The power is there for speed, and the delivery is there for technical work as well, making it much more forgiving than a 250mx bike.

I was trying to trick you guys that way someone could bite your heads off and flame you, hAha. Is the motor stock good enough or do people typically port the motor, pipes... As far as the suspension, is it necc. to re-spring as well as re-valve or can a guy get away with just springs. Are the bars typically higher rise bars. I have spent a lot of money on the yz and from what people tell me I am at a point close to where the KTM's start aside from the autoclutch and steering damper.

KTM 300 - all you need to ride woods is handguards and skid plate, maybe some other protection stuff like the rotor and pipe guards. Good grunt down low and arm yanking power up top.

Look at the latest edition of Dirt Rider. They did a write up of a big bore YZ250 and that might be a better route for you, given that you already have the YZ and have done all the woods mods to it. That is the route I'd take since all you'd need would be piston/rings and a re-sleeved cylinder.

Is the motor stock good enough or do people typically port the motor, pipes... As far as the suspension, is it necc. to re-spring as well as re-valve or can a guy get away with just springs. Are the bars typically higher rise bars. I have spent a lot of money on the yz and from what people tell me I am at a point close to where the KTM's start aside from the autoclutch and steering damper.

Motor wise, I didn't do anything other than buy a JD jetkit and have the head re-cut to optimize the squish band for 92 octane pump gas ($75). The head mod is real popular over at KTMTalk, so I figured what they heck. No need to port the motor, that's for sure. Still running the stock pipe and silencer too. KTMs come with pretty good pipes, other than they are a little thin, so they dent easier than PC IIs or Gnarlys. Suspension wise, I did re-spring mine, but I weigh 220 so that's a given regardless of what bike I ride. Still have the stock valving, but I will get that done eventually once I get a little better . You need to understand, this advice is coming from a fast C to average B rider (enduros and HS) who rode as a kid, but took some time off and just got back into the sport 2 years ago at the age of 29.

try looking at a GasGas 300 it's more forgiving

That is my intention to get rid of the honda. Anybody know where to find a KTM 300. Every dealer that I talked to in OK is out for the year. A friend mentioned a place in Arkansas but he could not remember the name. Anyone know.

There are two dealers that I know of here in Ark. One is Bill Eddy in Fayetteville and the other is in Little Rock. Check KTM USA's website for dealer listings.

I got my 300W from Bill Eddy and they've been great to work with. Not a big fan of the 300 personally now that I own one but who can say what's best for you? Give it a try. Re-sale appears to be very good, if you don't like it.

There are two dealers that I know of here in Ark. One is Bill Eddy in Fayetteville and the other is in Little Rock. Check KTM USA's website for dealer listings.

I got my 300W from Bill Eddy and they've been great to work with. Not a big fan of the 300 personally now that I own one but who can say what's best for you? Give it a try. Re-sale appears to be very good, if you don't like it.

Jeb,

What don't you like about the 300? I'm looking at getting a KTM but i'm stuck between choosing a 250 and 300. Obviously there are fans of both models but i'm just curious.

It just doesn't excite me, for some reason. It's an 06 300 XC-W (EXC w/o lights or spark arrestor). I own or have owned 125E, 200E, 380MXC, 400E, 2 - 250E's, 450E and now this 300. It has great lowend torque for hills, which is why I bought it. I moved from a flat area late last year to a very hilly one. But it has too much power from the middle on up for long enduros and has caused me to get too cautious on the throttle. Teaching me bad habits, as it were.

Lots of folks really like them so don't base your decision on me. I'll most likely end up on another 400 or 450 EXC next year and get rid of the 300.

I really like my 04 250E and still have it. It's a little more work on big, technical hills but it'll make them just fine, too. The 250E does less to hurt you on long rides or races, in my experience. It lets me go faster longer.

Stock to stock the ktm 300 is better, but you've modded your YZ and it will be a hard to beat bike. I'd get a big bore kit if you think you need more power, and have it ported for "woods" less hit. Sell the crf cause with either hte KTM 300 or YZ the only place you'd want the CRF is on a MX track and you said you prefered woods.

I have a YZF and a KTM 525EXC, and I liked the KTM motor better, and the YZF chasis better after mods, but it ends up costing more though. I think the YZ250 is much better than my YZ450F and the new XC (espeically 300) are better then the older 04's KTM like mine.

Good luck,