Sign in to follow this  

Front end way too high

I haven't been riding MX that long, just long enough to get into trouble I guess. There is a step up that I have been jumping and every now and again I throw the damn front end up way to high (almost vert.). I probably have jumped it about 7 or 8 times and it's popped up twice. I am chalking it up to inexperience but really don't feel like taking a hit. I can't really narrow it down to anything that I am doing different on the runs, just maybe the fact that I don't take the same line up every time. I am usually cooking 5th gear when I am hitting it. I'm real hesitant about leaning over the bars too much, but then again, I am sure that is my inexperience. TTR125, a huge 190lbs. Any suggestions would be appreciated! :thumbsup:

get over thet front of the bike on the lip and the front end wont come up

Top of the lip is about 5-6 feet high, get over the bars at the bottom and ride up the face like that the whole way? I definitely wasn't doing that, just centered standing to keep balance, I need more practice I guess.

well instead of just standing centered. stand with your head over the front number plate. and if that dosent work you could allways pull in the clutch and tap the rear brake but there is usually no need for that

Hell, even if I was comfortable enough to hit the brake it wouldn't have corrected it from vert. If I fix my launch I think I'll be in much better shape.

I just switched the spring on the shock so maybe the rebound could be adjusted. I am guessing that if the rebound is too slow it will not pop the back end up when leaving the lip?

i dont think ttrs have rebond ajusters. i could be wrong though

The problem is that you are afraid of the jump. You sketch out and get too far back on the bike, grab a quick blip of throttle and get the front end sky high. Relax and it will all work itself out. :thumbsup:

Friday, the pimped out ones do, Nitrogen shock, rebound and compression adjustments.

RB, yeah, that probably contributes to it I'm sure. But I have to say my confidence is up because I have cleared it so many times. I thought I felt comfortable but maybe not.

just try keeping your head over the front number plate that will work forsure

just try keeping your head over the front number plate that will work forsure

Listen to this guy!

Lead the bike off the jump with your head over or infront of the bars. Be sure to GRIP the bike with your knees so you don't accidently scoot/lean back due to the fear factor. The more you gas it up and off the face, the more forward you need to be (and the more forward you are, the more you need to gas it).

If you doubt this advice, go get some lessons, videos or books. If you convinced it's a suspension problem, check out that forum.

L8-

NorcalJake

Never under estimate the power of gassin' it up the face....

I went back to the step up and hit it every way I knew how just to get a better feel for it (after a few rolls of course). I probably looked retarded at times being so over the front of the bike....but I didn't case it so who cares what it looks like for now. I noticed that the more I got on it on the face, the more the front went up in the air, MUCH higher. I didn't realize that even with a little bit of throttle on the face the rocket ship effect occurred (even being over the front of the bars). THX for all of your help guys. Practice, practice, practice.

It sounds like you need to work on your strength and body position. It sounds like when you are gassing it up the face, it is throwing you back on the bike, and that is the number one culprit of nose-high syndrome. Squeeze the bike with your legs to keep from sliding back on the bike and keep the elbows up. :thumbsup:

The problem is that you are afraid of the jump. You sketch out and get too far back on the bike, grab a quick blip of throttle and get the front end sky high. Relax and it will all work itself out. :thumbsup:

Totaly agree! When I'm not confident or stressed about a jump. I usually stiffen up and loop out. It's maybe somthing else but having confidence really help.

Here's me stiff as a bar while doing a jump for the first time. :thumbsup:

Me

Totaly agree! When I'm not confident or stressed about a jump. I usually stiffen up and loop out. It's maybe somthing else but having confidence really help.

Here's me stiff as a bar while doing a jump for the first time. :thumbsup:

Me

That's exactly what I'm talking about. You stiffen up, straighten you elbows and lean back. That photo shows why the front end comes up perfectly.