Transmission Improvement

OK, here's something we haven't heard around here lately. A post about something good about our beloved bike's transmission. I just went on a 43 mile ride yesterday on gnarly, muddy single track trail. It was the first ride that I took on my x after deciding to go with a full quart of the red 80w Honda trans oil in the bike. I had been running the same red stuff previously but at the factory recommended level as per the owners manual.

WOW! What a difference! When I first got my x, I was surprised at how much mechanical noise the engine made. It kind of concerned me at first, but I heard about other riders here on TT having the same concern and that it was normal for the bike. I eventually got used to it and stopped worrying about it. With 1 quart of trans oil, the engine makes much less mechanical noise. I would say about 80% less racket. I run the stock exhaust so it's pretty quiet, and before I had as much mechanical noise as exhaust note at least from the riding position. Now, while riding the bike I hear the exhaust note more than mechanical noise. It was much different. I even had my buddy who rides a DRZ take a spin on my x and he confirmed my findings. I also had a couple of time when my bike was hard to shift into third gear, and that was completely resolved also. It shifted like butter yesterday.

Now my x sounds like most other bikes with regards to engine noise and I would assume the trans is being better lubricated and hopefully will have better durability. These are just my seat of the pants observations based on one 43 mile ride. If you haven't tried the full quart in your trans, give it a try, I think you'll like the results :thumbsup:

good to hear. Hey, did you have any troble with the trail tech sensor and bolts in the rotor hitting each other?

I can confirrm that, same results from my X :thumbsup::thumbsup::bonk:

Are you guys running the Honda red bottle oil 85 weight.... This is the best news I have heard all month!!!!!

I'm using the red stuff. last time I had this much trouble with something I love I now refer to her as my X ironic isn't it :thumbsup:

any concern with blowing seals or causing any damage from pressure with the extra tranny fluid??? I know this can cause problems in cars......seems like same pricipals would apply..anyone know anything about this?? seems like many people are adding extra transmission fluid but isnt anyone concerned about reprecussions?

any concern with blowing seals or causing any damage from pressure with the extra tranny fluid??? I know this can cause problems in cars......seems like same pricipals would apply..anyone know anything about this?? seems like many people are adding extra transmission fluid but isnt anyone concerned about reprecussions?

Yes I am concerned about repercussions, that's one of the reasons I posted this thread. Some TTers have been running extra trans fluid for some time and I have not heard of any problems, but sharing information like this is the only way we can track the problems. I really hope that I don't update this thread in a month and report some kind of problem related to overfilling the transmission. I'm reasonably sure that won't be the case, but you never know. I though about the extra trans oil for a while now and decided to give it a try. So far just one ride of 43 miles, but the trans sure seem to work better and was a lot quieter. I now know that most of the mechanical noise coming from our bikes is from the transmission, which was more than I knew before I gave this a try.

Could we hear from some TTers that have been running extra trans oil for a while. Any problems so far. Similar experiences with reduced mechanical noise and easier shifting?

Regarding the extra pressure, I'm not sure if that is an issue or not. Anyone :thumbsup:

I too have been following this closely. As to date no problems, knock on wood. My concern is also the overfilling of the tans case. I have read posts in the past of oil pushing into the engine side of the case and causing problems. Will this extra volume cause undue stress on the seal between the two? I am not sure anyone has answer to this problem yet. I am sure a Honda engineer knows the answer :thumbsup:

Transmission has a simple atmospheric vent. Worse case scenario puddle of oil under bike or blowin oil on rear tire , yee haw

Transmission has a simple atmospheric vent. Worse case scenario puddle of oil under bike or blowin oil on rear tire , yee haw

That's what I thought too regarding extra pressure from overfilling the trans. I thought the x had a vent to the outside and ran atmospheric pressure. I heard this from another buddy but haven't traced all the vent tubes personally. Hope this is true.

Are you guys running the Honda red bottle oil 85 weight.... This is the best news I have heard all month!!!!!

Yeah, I'm running the Honda HP trans oil 80W/85W. That's all I've ever ran.

One quart. 160 miles. so far, so good.

I've been running 850cc of Honda 80/85 since day one, last May. Over 500 miles and no problems at all. The next change I'm using a full quart. I ain't scared!

I've been running 850cc of Honda 80/85 since day one, last May. Over 500 miles and no problems at all. The next change I'm using a full quart. I ain't scared!

Are any of these miles, in flat high speed high gear situations????

Thanks Brother!!!!!!

Are any of these miles, in flat high speed high gear situations????

Thanks Brother!!!!!!

Some of my riding has been in fifth gear at speeds around 60 mph as I go to the trails that are close to my house, they are just a short distance of a few miles, guessing one or two miles on black top. Finding anyplace in Illinois to ride (in the dirt) wide open in fifth is rare. I know I have been flat out in fifth at St.Joe state park in Missouri, however it was on smooth sand.

Running 750 cc (level w/ the timing cover)motul 300V, over 900km on the clock no probs, some of it at very high speeds (Wanting to run the bike in the Aussie Finke desert race next year, to see if it will handle speed, I ran a 14/42 for 20k's - up to 180k's/hr and im still alive.) 1st 300 k's had what I would call excessive silver in the tranny oil, but since then has been sweet, musta been the run in time.

i was running the honda red cap tranny oil when my bike locked up of course it was at 650cc's have around 250 miles on it now with the quart method and no problems 3 changes with torco oil and one with belray gear saver

its vented internally up through the cylinder casting , thats where you see the T pipe coming out the rear of the cylinder to the appropiate hoses , looks like it could vent engine but it is venting transmission.

Running 750 cc (level w/ the timing cover)motul 300V, over 900km on the clock no probs, some of it at very high speeds (Wanting to run the bike in the Aussie Finke desert race next year, to see if it will handle speed, I ran a 14/42 for 20k's - up to 180k's/hr and im still alive.) 1st 300 k's had what I would call excessive silver in the tranny oil, but since then has been sweet, musta been the run in time.

Thats not the kind of terrain that is causing the welding of 3th and 5th.

It's wide open smooth tar fro miles on end that is casuing the gears to weld themselves.

that excessive silver is no good...something is wearing bad