Sign in to follow this  

I can't gain weight!~

Seems like forever I have been 140lbs. I lift weight sometimes and bench my weight. No matter how much I eat though I just don't gain weight.... Yea it sounds pretty bad but im almost 16 years old and 6ft tall so I want to get a little heavier and get stronger. What can help me put on weight so I can build some muscle? Is there supplements? :thumbsup::bonk::thumbsup:

I, like my 18 year old son was the same way. Don't worry about it. Enjoy it while you can. When you hit 20 you can bulk up muscle and enjoy that high metabolism.

Can't gain weight?

What a high class problem!

I wish I had such a problem.

Seems like forever I have been 140lbs. I lift weight sometimes and bench my weight. No matter how much I eat though I just don't gain weight.... Yea it sounds pretty bad but im almost 16 years old and 6ft tall so I want to get a little heavier and get stronger.

chances are if you keep lifting a bit and just wait a year or two, your body will catch up. at 14, i was 6'2" and 132 lbs. i gained about 5 lbs a year for the next 4 years, and pretty much stayed at 155-160 for the next 25 years. then i put on a little more upper body muscle when i started racing dirtbikes and lifting upper-body weights.

It will come my son..:thumbsup: I was the same as you. 6'2" and 160lbs in high school. Now I'm about 210lbs. All I did was workout, eat GOOD food. Not junk food and such. When I start riding my MTB and DRZ in the summer I drink two protein shakes a day to maintain my muscle mass at 200lbs. During the winter I get up to about 215. Mainly cuz' I'm lazy and I don't wanna workout. I still lift,but I don't do as much cardio as I should.

Do NOT try and gain weight by absorbing tons of carbs and fat. Do it properly, acquire about a special diet through a nutritionalist or dietician. I've seen 24 year olds, skinny as a rail, have heart attacks. The fat storage may be invincible on the outside but your arterial walls are stacking it up.

Furthermore, what a post to hit all of us struggling with spares tires on a Friday dude.... :thumbsup:

Do NOT try and gain weight by absorbing tons of carbs and fat. Do it properly, acquire about a special diet through a nutritionalist or dietician. I've seen 24 year olds, skinny as a rail, have heart attacks. The fat storage may be invincible on the outside but your arterial walls are stacking it up.

Furthermore, what a post to hit all of us struggling with spares tires on a Friday dude.... :thumbsup:

Like wise, @ 16 and at your height gaining proper muscle mass is a very though proposition. More over you could do more harm than good if you tried. Your better off switching your weight training to-wards muscle strengthening (lower weights high reps). Then once you hit your 20's muscle mass will be easy to do, for two reasons. One, you don't have a metabolism of a race horse. Second, by using lower weights you have better technique. 90% of new wight lifters just through around weights and they think the more the better. But let me ask you this, do you think RC and JS are fast cuz they are strong or because they have great technique?

I have a friend with the same battle. He is 34 yrs old and around 165ish. He works out constantly, eats a high protein diet, supplemented by a lot of GNC pills. He eats every 30-40 minutes (about a handful), to keep his metabolism up to build his muscles. He has a pretty good routine down pat.

Don't give up. He has gained 20 lbs in the last year or so but he is about maxxed out now with his current strategy.

Wait until you hit 50, then gaining weight is no problem. :bonk:

50? how about 40, I walk by a bakery and gain weight. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Do NOT try and gain weight by absorbing tons of carbs and fat. Do it properly, acquire about a special diet through a nutritionalist or dietician. I've seen 24 year olds, skinny as a rail, have heart attacks. The fat storage may be invincible on the outside but your arterial walls are stacking it up.QUOTE]

You have to add fat and carbs if you are already consuming enough protein, where else are you going to get the calories? More protein and tax the kidneys just so they can break the protein down to carbs anyway?

Add fat and carbs, but good ones. MCT oil for fats will add about 700 calories per day and some decent carbs like oatmeal, grits, etc. (anything dense in carbs) and you'll gain wieght. It is physically impossible to not gain weight by adding calories unless you have some sort of illness or disease.

If you want to put on muscle mass you should be taking in at least a gram of protein per lb of body weight.

I graduated hs at 5'10" and about 145 lbs. Granted, I ran x-country in hs. 3 years ago after I had been lifting consistent and eating like a madman I actually hit 180lbs.

Stopped working out and eating massive amounts and went back down to 165.

Now 28, 170lbs, working out trying to put on weight so when I start cardio in a month I don't wilt away. Eat often and eat a LOT.

I agree with the protein shakes, my son is 6'3 15yrs old was 170 around September. Has been using the shakes two times a day is now 183. Lifts 3 times per week. Good Luck!

Lifting weights enough that you feel a little sore for a couple days on the muscles worked is sufficient. (any more than that can actually make you weaker) Suppliments like creotine and glucosomine can really help. Whey protein as much as possible, and stay away from processed foods, fats, and complex carbs (not to mention simple carbs ie hf corn syrup, sugar, etc) is helpful.

The supplements can help push you to another level. As a 35 year old, they can help alot. Creotine will give you good gains in the short term, but, it is mostly from water weight. Creotine tends to force your body to put water into your muscles. Glucosomine has longer lasting gains. Another thing about Creotine is that if you had arm pump before, it will be worse immediately. (even if you didn't have it, you will get it with creatine)

But, this is stuff any personal trainer will tell you. Greg

Wow, there really is a lot of misinformation out there about this. Here is the deal, this is EXACTLY what I ate that allowed me to gain over 50lbs in one year of pure muscle, eventually taking me to 297. This is bodybuilder 297, not couch potato 297. Currently I'm 258.6 at 7% bodyfat, I've stopped competitive bodybuilding to concentrate on some other stuff.

7am- One HUGE bowl of oatmeal and a 1500 calorie weight gain shake. Mutivitamin.

930am- One dozen egg whites and a weight gain shake. 3 tablespoons MCT oil

12pm- 2 chicken breasts and a potato

2pm- 1500 calorie weight gain shake

4pm- Bowl of grits and a whey protein shake

630pm- 1lb ground beef and rice, green salad

9pm- green salad, 3 tablespoons MCT oil, whey protein shake

On workout days take in 400 calories of SIMPLE sugar within 20 minutes of workout (like gatorade, ultra fuel, citomax, or ever sugar....seriously, just plain old sugar) and a whey protein shake 15-20 minutes after that. Then go back to eating as normal for the rest of the day.

Now, this is on the extreme side, this is about 8500 calories a day. Unless you have a thyroid, testosterone, or insulin problem you WILL gain huge amounts of muscle with this. Of course I used supplements along the way like flax seed oil, ALA, ALC, HMB, OKG, creatine, etc. but these are just little things to help. If I had to estimate I'd say about 5lbs of the 50 I gained in one year was due to supplements, the other 45 is thanks just plain old food.

By the way, I have a naturally really, really, fast metabolism so this diet will just make you plain fat if your metabolism is not as fast as mine.