Sign in to follow this  

Which engine do you prefer?

Which engine do you prefer and for what?  

555 members have voted

1. 1. Which engine do you prefer and for what?

• 2 stroke in general
    • 4 stroke in general
    • 4 stroke for 450 MX
    • 2 stroke for 250 MX
    • 4 stroke for 250 MX
    • 2 stroke 125 for MX
    • 4 stroke for offroad
    • 2 stroke for offroad
    • Big bore 4 stroke
    • Big bore 2 stroke
    • Small bore 4 stroke
    • Small bore 2 stroke
    • I like both
    • I own a 4 stroke
    • I own a 2 stroke
    • I own both
    • Doesn't matter to me
    • All depends on riding style and terrain
    • Someone should make a 3 stroke!
    • This poll is worthless and proves no point

I know this is ThumperTalk and the 4 strokes will rule but I just wanna see how many 2 strokers there are out there and what people prefer.

Edit: I noticed that some people voted for every one. If your not going to vote properly, please don't vote at all. :thumbsup:

I like four strokes for playbikes, but I think two strokes are better for race bikes because they are simpler, and a super-high-rpm four strokes are just unnatural.

^^ That's just too many moving parts, and i'd hate to have to fix one if anything went wrong. Four strokes are a waste of time and money without BIG displacement advantages.

pro circuit has said that four strokes have quadrupled their racing costs. Of course they are fast, but at what cost? I don't really dig the way they handle either, so I'll just keep my two stroke for now. I'm sure I will end up on a four stroke because of stupid EPA legislations though.

^^ That's just too many moving parts, and i'd hate to have to fix one if anything went wrong. Four strokes are a waste of time and money without BIG displacement advantages.

pro circuit has said that four strokes have quadrupled their racing costs. Of course they are fast, but at what cost? I don't really dig the way they handle either, so I'll just keep my two stroke for now. I'm sure I will end up on a four stroke because of stupid EPA legislations though.

Yes.....4-strokes are so awful. I hate them. Stupid bikes with there big displacement 'advantage'. In case you haven't noticed, that makes them heavier, taking away most of that advantage. I've spent like 1/9th of the cash I spent on my other 2-strokes on my 426. But that's just me. Anyway. I like 2 and 4 strokes. Which I guess is just too hard for most people.

Yes..... Which I guess is just too hard for most people.

I said They're fun... For play bikes... As for you spending 1/9th on the thumper the 426 and Yamahas in general are very reliable nowdays. The KXF and CRF are crap though. 2 people I know had to replace their valves after 1 year of use. 450s don't run into as many problems as 250Fs because you can't ride them as hard. I like to rev my bikes and I know that if I had a four stroke I would run into trouble. I have seen a resurgance of two strokes lately. i guess people are getting tired of valves ajustments and jobs. I feel bad for the people who have popped their four strokes and gotten an estimate for repairs. :thumbsup:

I moved from a YZ134 to a YZ450f. I must say that the 125 stomped ass over 450 In the woods. My 125 had no flywheel weight and a busted FMF fatty pipe on it and it never stalled, I could lug the thing to less then a 1mph and then just crank on the gas and it would leave. If I lug the 450 and crank on the gas the think stalls so hard I almost break my wrist. I mean dont get my wrong I like the 450 and am still getting used to it but I dont belive the 450s are good trail bikes. I also had no clue what I was getting myself into with the maintenece. Too much crap to go wrong in my opinion. And I was under the impression that I would save a few bucks by not having to buy oil for my gas... WRONG! I spend more on oil now then I ever have before. Im still wondering if I made the correct choice.

EDIT: And on top of this the 125 was 4 mph faster in the top end and Im worried about gearing up because I wont be able to not stall out at silly times.

I was riding 4-strokes back when 4-strokes weren't cool :thumbsup:

Years ago, I always hated that if you wanted to be competitive on an MX track you had ride a 2-stroke. The 4-strokes at that time were seriously overweight and underpowered. Now that 4-strokes are as good as they are, I'm loving it.

There are not enough choices.

What about offroaders who ride 200 and 300 2 strokes. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: lets just ride

Hell Yeah! :bonk:

I ride and own both. I can do most things better on my thumper, but I have more fun on my pinger. So I usually trail ride and goof off on the track with the pinger, and practice and race with the thumper.

Plus I want to keep the hours off the thumper so I can reduce the risk of having some big repair bills. :thumbsup:

I VOTED FOR THE 2 (but i want a 4)a buddy of mIne has a 310 kit in his kx 250 an nothing can touch it.I STILL WANT A BIG THUMPER. O YEAH I HOPE THE SEATS HAVE MORE PADDING ON THE 450's,because my 250 makes my ass sore. I KNOW IF I WAS STANDING ON THE PEGS MY BUTT WOUNLD'NT HURT.WE DO A LOT OF WOODS RIDING AN LIL GOAT TRAILS ON THE SIDE OF HILLS.HOPE THOSE BIG FOURS CAN CREAP ALONG WITHOUT GETTING HOT OR STALLING!!!!!!!!!THE BOOGIEMAN ...........BOO

I like four strokes for playbikes, but I think two strokes are better for race bikes because they are simpler, and a super-high-rpm four strokes are just unnatural.

Ditto...4 strokes are not supposed to be race bikes, there is just too many parts in the motor that are screaming and they have to let go sooner or later...usually sooner.

I bought a yz 250f and here are my thoughts

If you value hype (I will be faster on a four stroke) and love to spend your time and money on maintenance then you will love the 4 stroke.

If you have skills (girls like guys with skills) and a low budget get a 2 stoke.

Honestly it's an opinion and every one needs to follow there own.

Anything is better than a pit bike :thumbsup:

What I dont like about four strokes is, you cant rev them, how can you like short shifting and not riding in the screamer range? I need to be pinned. Pinned isnt really practical for a fourstroke, they cant be "pinned" thats more of a 2 stroke thing.