Sign in to follow this  

removing lower steering stem bearing?

well, im replacing the bearings in my steering stem. I was able to get both upper and lower races out no problem. Now it seems like the lower bearing is glued to the post on the triple clamp. Im afraid to try forcing it out before i ask my fellow tt'ers if theres a "proper" way to approach this. Thanks for the help in advance

There is several ways to do it, the most professional way is to get it pressed off.

I have had great results with my 4" grinder and dremel. Getting the new bearing back on is another story.

You can beat it off of there, it's a pain but you can do it. Presses are nice. Grinding does work, too.

When you put the new bearing on, put the lower triple tree in the freezer for a while and warm up the bearing (in the oven if your wife or mother will let you :thumbsup: ). Make sure you have a driver (basically a pipe that is long enough to extend past the top of the stem, large enough inner diameter to fit over the stem, small enough outer diameter that it presses on the inner ring of the bearing ONLY....if you press on any part of the outer race you WILL damage the bearing). Once you have the tools ready, make sure the lower seal is in place (assuming there is one on these bikes, there usually is), chill the stem, warm the bearing (not too hot, don't want the grease running out) and either drive or press the bearing all the way on.

ok, sounds like this is going to be a pita. But the suggestions are DEFINATELY a big help. THank you. I will prob be doing this sometime within the next few days so ill let u know how it works.

btw, my friend works at a nissan dealership and i think he mentioned something about having a press. Would an automotive one work fine? Ill mention it to him today. thanks again.

ok, well im not sure if i have a problem or not. We ended up using an acetaline (sp?) torch to heat up the old bearing and then knock/crack it off. I noticed that when using some force, i can twist the stem a bit inside the clamp. is this normal? or did something get screwed up from the heat? Is that stem supposed to be removable, twistable, or completely secure?

since i had the press handy, my friend and i decided to press the bearing on. With the bearing on, the stem SEEMED to be secure when we tried twisting it with our hands. But then we put the stem in a vice and tried to twist the lower clamp and we WERE ABLE TO TWIST IT.

So i would really appreciate it if someone knowledgeable can let me know exactly what kind of situation im in so i can either put my bike together, or buy a new clamp assembly and put my bike together...either way, i need to get the ball rolling. Thanks.

yeah i packed the lower bearings. i guess ill bring it to my local yamaha dealer.

My friend was saying he would have the professional welder at his shop just secure it like that.

Any recommendations as to purchasing a replacement if this stem and clamp are screwed? btw, thanks for all the help.

My friend was saying he would have the professional welder at his shop just secure it like that.

Any recommendations as to purchasing a replacement if this stem and clamp are screwed? btw, thanks for all the help.

Your friend must know a very talented welder if he's able to weld aluminum to steel....

If the stem is damaged, I have one for an '04 YZ250F that I'll ship to you for $30. But I'm more inclined to think the clamp is the part at fault. In that case, look at eBay for a stock set. '04/'05 are interchangeable, and if you change to the 250F stem, a set from the same year YZ450 will work. Otherwise, it's the aftermarket clamp builders.

well i was really looking into the Ride Engineering upper and lower triple clamps. Has anyone had any experience with these?