Sign in to follow this  

How do you spin?

I have seen video of people spinning their bikes. I guess they are holding the front brake and applying throttle but I'm not sure. It looks like the front stays stationary while the back comes around to wherever they want it to stop. Can anyone tell me how to do it?

Just let the speed get to low or your weight too far forward in a sand wash and it'll happen all by itself :thumbsup:

This is a good way to start it until you can start while moving. Lock the front breaks and get the rear wheel spinning. Then stand up and lean forward to get weight over the front and off the back. Let go of the break a little bit til you start to move forward slowly and then just push the rear out whatever direction you want and you will start to rotate around the front wheel. Im sure a bunch of people are gonna say this is useless and stupid but whatever its fun to screw around with.

Don't forget to lean the bike a tiny bit. Opposite to the direction you want to spin. Not too much or you risk it getting out from under you. Also you are going to throw crap all over the place, so do it on your property, not on someones land.

Im sure a bunch of people are gonna say this is useless and stupid but whatever its fun to screw around with.
This is actually a very useful skill to have when you need to do a 180 on a tight trail

Don't forget to lean the bike a tiny bit. Opposite to the direction you want to spin. Not too much or you risk it getting out from under you. Also you are going to throw crap all over the place, so do it on your property, not on someones land.

Maybe this technic works in Canada (lean the bike in the opposite direction you want to spin), but I always lean my bike in the same direction I want to spin. maybe you just typed in the wrong word!?

Maybe this technic works in Canada (lean the bike in the opposite direction you want to spin), but I always lean my bike in the same direction I want to spin. maybe you just typed in the wrong word!?

dirt must be different up there.

dirt over here is most times pretty sticky so when its dust i just lean as if your goin to lay your bike on the ground let the clutch out slowly so you dont kill it and stand on it. No break it involved. just tilt the wheel. NOTE: not recommended on single track or cliffs!

lol, I dont even touch the front brake, I just rev it up to the meaty spot of the power band and dump the clutch. If I start to lose it, I just let off the throttle and ease it upright again. I did have to hold the front brake on my 125 though...

Hmm, I'm trying to visualize it now. Tire spinning, if I lean the bike a bit to the left, the rear end of the bike starts sliding right doesn't it? * I must go look at donut videos.....* :]

I think MikeyX was saying if you want your back end to slide right you lean the bike to the left.

But using the word opposite isn't very descriptive when talking about turning.

:bonk::thumbsup:

I agree with what was already said, it's a much easier and very useful way of turning the bike around on a tight trail. No brake, just throttle control and lay it down a bit.

dirt must be different up there.

The dirt? You must mean the giant watermelon sized rocks, We don't have alot of dirt trails around here in Vancouver, B.C. but alot of rock trails. Pic below.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e154/rialcel/DSC00566.jpg

But I still don't think I'd trade this trail system which is basically in my backyard for anything else. This trail system gets a 5 out of 5 for difficulty on trailpeak.com

happy trails :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the tips. It's been raining so I haven't been able to try it yet then there is the fear factor to get over as well. I'm concerned about my bike wanting to bite instead of slide. I'm using Michelin SI in the back and they are very sticky. Also when you get it sliding how do you prevent it from coming out from under you?

I've been wondering the same thing. I will have to try the technique and hopefully don't fall on my butt while doing it! :thumbsup:

Always a good technique for covering your friends and their trucks in dirt...

The dirt? You must mean the giant watermelon sized rocks, We don't have alot of dirt trails around here in Vancouver, B.C. but alot of rock trails. Pic below.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e154/rialcel/DSC00566.jpg

But I still don't think I'd trade this trail system which is basically in my backyard for anything else. This trail system gets a 5 out of 5 for difficulty on trailpeak.com

happy trails :thumbsup:

I'll never gripe about the rocks in central Arkansas again. :thumbsup::bonk:

All that i do is turn the bars all the way to the lock, than lean a LITTLE, and i have a low enough first gear that i never have to clutch it doing this, then just pin your throttle

before i put in my big gun rev box it didnt want to do this, so i think that thing helped ALOT

Hmm, I'm trying to visualize it now. Tire spinning, if I lean the bike a bit to the left, the rear end of the bike starts sliding right doesn't it? * I must go look at donut videos.....* :]

You are correct. I've done more than my fair share of useless burnouts, and when you lean the bike to the left for example, it pushes the rear wheel out to the right, therefore rotating the bike to the left.

I remember when I bought two brand new 1975 XR75s for my two daughters to replace a Yam mini enduro and a Steen Hodaka. The very first day with the new bikes they learned to do donuts on their own and really had a blast.

So forget the brake. Don't dump the clutch. Just increase lean until rear tire breaks loose and then control spin with throttle and lean.