06 FSE 500s out yet?

I'd imagine it's just a bore/stroke change. Anyhow, I just talked to my Gas Gas dealer and they are not going to be 06 models. They are not even in Mass production yet. They will be early release 07' models if anything. He said maybe sometime in May. I'm going with the 06' 450 which is supposed to have better grunt than previous models. I'd imagine a 500 w/in the same engine cases would just reduce reliability for minimal gain.

I don't know how you can say that it would decrease reliability for minimal gain. They obviously designed the engine knowing full well that they were going to release it with a longer stroke version. It's not like we're talking a huge difference like going to a 550 or something... it's only 50cc.

Anyway, I'm willing to take the gamble that the crank isn't going to fail for a little more power. I just don't know that I can waste a whole season waiting for the bike to come out. I sold my DRZ400 last season so I could buy a new bike for this one. I guess I'd have to get a 450 if that's all that's available. Are the 450s available yet? If so, what's the best deal anyone's gotten? Unfortunately I don't have a dealer in Denver. ?

The 06' 450's are sitting in Florida right now, AFAIK. Prices...that's the one thing I hate about GasGas. Most dealers can't give you a price until they get their invoices. No real MSRP for them. As of right now the 06' FSE450 is around $8,000, OTD. Go with the 450 man. 23% more torque and 1.5 extra HP for 06'.

I suppose you're right, the 450's motor was built with the 500 concept in mind. However, I'll be curious to see how some folks do with it. Anytime you increase bore/stroke, compression and tolerances in a motor that's proven reliable...you "chance" unreliability. I just think I'm all set with a first year 500 and will let someone else be the guinea pig...that's all.

I appreciate the advise. I've just been pretty unhappy with my DRZ400 power wise, and tired of futzing around with options to get to where I want. I just want to buy right and not have to trade again next year for another new bike. This trading up for new bikes thing gets expensive.

the GG450cc will be a blast for you and it has much more power then the DRZ and you will be realy happe, I'm not joking about the power, one of my riding buddy has one and I have tested both and I think he is thinking of geting a GG for next summer

Yeah i agree, it may only be 50-60cc but that means alot, extra torque which means more pressure on every engine component, differing flow rates which in turn alters fuel mapping, timing, exhaust rates, valve sizes so on and so forth. Yes u can do it but u may not have the same gain or fuel efficiency that comes with a ktm 450 to 525. Its posssible GasGas may have it right but i too am a little hesitant to get the first model im going to stick with the FSE 450. ?

Yeah i agree, it may only be 50-60cc but that means alot, extra torque which means more pressure on every engine component, differing flow rates which in turn alters fuel mapping, timing, exhaust rates, valve sizes so on and so forth. Yes u can do it but u may not have the same gain or fuel efficiency that comes with a ktm 450 to 525. Its posssible GasGas may have it right but i too am a little hesitant to get the first model im going to stick with the FSE 450. ?

My thoughts exactly....someone else can be the guinea pig. The new 450 has a 23% increase in torque and 1.5 extra hp. They had just as much power as the other 450 enduros out there, you just couldn't feel it due to the EFI. Very smooth and linear from what I've read.

They had just as much power as the other 450 enduros out there, you just couldn't feel it due to the EFI.

I agree, it's so smooth you don't realize what you have. I didn't know until I climbed a big hill with it for the first time. It has power and torque you just don't notice on the trail, but it's there. If you want more power then tune it for mx or buy an mx bike, enduro bikes are detuned for a reason.