Sign in to follow this  

Wheelies

What bike do you ride? I know on my 300EXC, it's just a matter of twisting the throttle and maybe a touch of clutch (depending on gear) and I can carry the front for as long as I want.

Practice...depending on your bike, try just loading the front suspension and using the gas to pop it up and over. It just takes alot of practice balancing

Sounds like you are on a small bore. The way I would wheelie on my 125 is as follows: Stand up with my head over the bars. Grip the bike with my knees, and load the front suspension. As I am pushing down, I am grabbing a fistful and slipping the clutch a little bit. Then as the front end comes up, I lean back (still standing up) and just ride it out. It sounds really complicated but once you try it a few times, you will get it. You may not have to do all of that though. Most of the time I would be riding with a bald rear tire, so that is why I would have to encourage it so much.

Now that I have a much more powerful carb on my bike, I've tried to wheelie a couple of times. No success yet. When I grab the throttle, the rear wheel slides. :thumbsup:

Now that I have a much more powerful carb on my bike, I've tried to wheelie a couple of times. No success yet. When I grab the throttle, the rear wheel slides. :thumbsup:

I used to have the same problem.

You may be too far forward on the bike. Try to shift your weight back as you turn the throttle. For example, move your butt back near the rear tire.

However, keep your torso forward a little. Just move your butt to the back.

Your front wheel will be pretty light once you shift your weight towards the rear.

Be in second, load the front and give it gas. Be sure to cover the clutch and the rear brake. You will need those for safety.

Only try lifting the front by a foot at first. Practice. pick it up and then put it back down Practice some more.

Then, two feet,

Then three feet.

I can't ride a long wheelie. But I can pick up the front wheel over a rock or a rut.

I think traction was my problem on my KLX 300. When I put on a one tooth smaller front sprocket and it helped alot,if I was on pavement. In the dirt it just spun the rear tire,so........I installed a trials tire with 9 psi in it. I've only rode it once since but it seemed to hook up really good in the dirt. I'm not saying this is the best set-up but I think I'll enjoy it as long as I avoid deep mud. Time will tell.

If you ever get to the point of shifting, make sure your revs are high enough. I've been bucked off when my revs are too low. :thumbsup:

I used to have the same problem.

You may be too far forward on the bike. Try to shift your weight back as you turn the throttle. For example, move your butt back near the rear tire.

Only try lifting the front by a foot at first. Practice. pick it up and then put it back down Practice some more.

I can't ride a long wheelie. But I can pick up the front wheel over a rock or a rut.

Thanks. I'll give that a try! I'm just looking to pick up the front wheel when necessary, not ride wheelies (unless I happen to get good at it! :thumbsup: ).