How much $ to make a 400SM run?

Looking for a street legal SM for playing on the street, not racing. How much money will I have to put in to a DRZ400SM to make it run decent? I had a 400s a couple of years ago and sold it after 3 weeks. It was a SLUG! So, I'm thinking full exhaust, 436 big bore, maybe FCR carb? With these mods, is it anywhere near the performance of say, a KTM 640? I'm open to any and all suggestions. Oh, and don't say "just get a 625SMC" because they are pretty much impossible to find around here and even IF I could find a 06', I'm not paying 9 grand for a SM!

as per burned:

the problem with the 92mm bore is the cylinder is still pretty close tot he valves.the reason why the 94mm kit works so well is it unshrouds the valves for increased flow.

even if the 5mm stroke has more potential its stiffled by the bore size and cams.

the parts to replicate this graphs power is about $1300 inlcuding a brand new carb.

for the DRZ does the $1300 include installation? I think that was parts alone.

It is a difficult process picking a bike but the real questions you should be asking yourself?

-Where will I ride the SM the most? On the street? On the track?

-How much maintenance time and $$$ do I feel comfortable doing/spending?

-What is my SM riding experience and skill level?

I think those three questions will help you decide what bike would be best for your situation.

If you're set on a plated DRZ kicker, then maybe scan classifieds from states like Ohio, where getting a plate is as easy as signing a form and paying the new title fee. I think Michigan and Kentucky are pretty lenient, but that may be a little farther than you'd want to travel.

Yup, WI is notoriously tough, but I bought my E in MO. It was worth the 20 hours of driving. If the title is already done it is generally as easy as paying the transfer fee.