Sign in to follow this  

Making Gaskets

Hey, i have a 81 cr 125 in bits :thumbsup:

so my only bike is a pw 80 until i can make some gaskets cause u can no longer buy them. Problem is i dont know how to make them and what kinda gasket paper to use.

Thanks

Hi, what you want to do is get some card, quite thick but not too thick. Next place the card over your engine (cover off) and gently tap away at it. this way you will get a good imprint of the gasket and your free to cut it out with a sharp scalpel. Cheap, quick and easy

I've made gaskets out of empty 12-pack boxes. Just hold it over the part, tap it with a dead blow hammer and cut on the lines.

I buy gasket material sheets at my local Auto parts store. Using a ball pein hammer works good to get the layout and cut it out patiently. Pretty easy after you have done it a few times.

The gasket material comes in different thicknesses if you need a base gasket for diff. compression ranges.

either buy gasket material, or buy a gasket set. yes, you can still get gasket sets. if honda doesnt carry them, try ebay.

you gear heads have got the answer for everything. Run for president and win in 08

Yeah I don't know of any good republicans who are planning to run yet.......not good.

Okay... get gasket paper from the Auto store and then get your mom's lipstick. Put the lipstick all over the surface needing the gasket, then use it as a stamp to mark the paper. Then get out your exacto blade and cut it out. Careful not to cut the finger. This process works well and has saved me $$ over the years.

Careful with what gasket paper you get.. try to match it up from what you take out. In a real pinch, you can use a file folder for gasket paper, but I always use "Permatex" when I do that just to be sure I get a good seal.

Cast aluminum can be brittle. Tapping can crack the case if you are not super careful. I've done it. That is why I recommend lipstick.

This is what I do if I have a ripped gasket.I will first scan it into the computer.Then I will put it in a Cad file and cut it out on the laser cutter.

This is what I do if I have a ripped gasket.I will first scan it into the computer.Then I will put it in a Cad file and cut it out on the laser cutter.

You know... there is a cure for that! :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the advice! ill be down to the the local automasters and grab some gasket paper them ill track down that lipstick...:thumbsup:...But that laser cutter idea....I might investigate that further too.

Thanks again for the great advice