Sign in to follow this  

Jetting proceedures

Anyone have any detailed proceedures for removing the carb and installing a jet kit, e.g. JD Kit? I was looking at the bike and man o man is it shoehorned up in there.

Anyone have any detailed proceedures for removing the carb and installing a jet kit, e.g. JD Kit? I was looking at the bike and man o man is it shoehorned up in there.

You got that right, I installed the J.D. kit without pulling th carb, rotated it enough to get the main jet changed and a new air screw installed. But then I got the Boyesen pump cover and had to remove the carb, what a bitch :thumbsup: .

The best way I found to get the carb off, or at least up to where you can work on it, is to unbolt the botom of the subframe and tilt it up, then unbolt the top shock bolt and you should be able to wiggle the carb off. After I did it I found a warning to be careful how you pull the air boot off the carb inlet so you don't damage the seal between the airbox and the boot.

Jetting is extremely simple to do. Should take you 15-30 min if you are decent with your hands. The JD kits come with simple easy to follow instructions. You will have to pull your tank. Also there are two vent hoses above the carb that go through a flange on the frame( the only reason I mention them is at first glance the look like they came undone from something but they didn't). Loosen all three clamp bolts on the boots so you can twist the carb. If you have T-handle allen wrenches use them you need a 3mm for the top two bolts on the carb and a 4mm for the nut that holds the needle. A 17mm socket opens the plug on the float bowl. A 6mm socket will fit the main jet which is in the middle of the float bowl plug opening.

As for the Boyesen Accelerator pump it changes the spray pattern inside the carb increasing performance. It is three screws that hold the cover in place. A diaphragm and a spring will come off with the cover. I was able to switch mine without removing the carb. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Removing the carb is no joke and takes a long time. I have done it once and it was a pain. :bonk: