Sign in to follow this  

Front brake...

Hey guy`s and gals...I do alot of rideing in the first place and on top of that most of its off-road type rideing so I dont know if this a problem or not but I have gotten into the habit of useing the front brake ALOT,around turns...comeing off high speed straights but i use the back brake when im going at a glood clip too, its usually just around turns and such but I use it to do 75 % of my brakeing. See any problem here?

I dont know alot but if your are not washing out or going over the bars its probably not too big of a problem. I seem to go in streaks from using too much front to too much rear. A good fast front end wash will cure you of using too much front. I think alot of people dont use enough front, or at least use it enough to have a great feel for it. I use the hell out of it on very steep downhills with my rear locked or close to it. I use the front for speed control. Alot of guys are scared to use front brake on steep downs, but if youve got a good feel for it, its pretty valualbe. I grabbed a handful of front in a steep downhill switchback last summer and still have a sore shoulder to remind me of it. :bonk::thumbsup::thumbsup::eek:

The front brake is for slowing down and the rear brake is for sliding the rear into a turn (the obvious exception would be on downhills). OK, that is an over simpification, but you get my point. As stated above, the majority of your braking power does come from the front tire. The key is to get the feel for how much traction you have and not exceed it so you don't put your butt on the ground.

Keep on using the front brake! There's so many people who won't use it because they are scared of it, and as a result don't get anywhere near their potential or the bike's. Like black n' blue says, if you aren't crashing as a result, you are doing a good job.

do u think that the front brake is bad or something because everyone uses it

I use the front 90% of the time it allows for more controlled movement, downhill especially. I ride with guys who sit on downhills and lock the rear and slide down the hill. This seems back wards to me, why try to fight the hill when you can feather the front brake pick your line and use much less energy and less risk of dumping it. As I have said before if you are sliding you dont have very much control over the bike, its reaction only, feathering and using, throttle and gears will give you complete control of where you go, cause if you start sliding off course you cant recover and will most likely hit a tree etc. I will use the rear brake only while sitting and as mentioned to slide and set a groove.

I recommend changing the brake fluid to high temp and ceramic coated moose pads are awesome. The braking feel and control will go up tremendously with those mods alone. :thumbsup:

The front brake is for slowing down and the rear brake is for sliding the rear into a turn (the obvious exception would be on downhills). OK, that is an over simpification, but you get my point. As stated above, the majority of your braking power does come from the front tire. The key is to get the feel for how much traction you have and not exceed it so you don't put your butt on the ground.

GOOD ANSWER

Dwight

Ok well that takes care of that.i guess I just got lucky and learned a really good habit :thumbsup:, I am VEARY comfortable with my front brake and use it in any situation without hesitation.THanks guys

Best regards

Ryan

Almost all of my braking I do with the front brake. AS long as you're comfortable applying pressure to the lever progressively, then you've got it down. Just remember to start lightly and increase pressure, shift your weight where necessary, and you won't wash out.

I change my front and rear brake pads around the same time. So yes i use the front brake a lot and it helps a ton

I don't care who you are, or what you ride........ the front brake is almost all of your stopping power. Have you ever rented a car? drive it with the e-brake on. That is just the rear brakes....it's east to drag the rear. You cannot push the front from a dead stop with the front brakes on, you'll do a burn out.

There have been instances when I was so hard on the front brake the rear wheel has come off the ground. And a damned good thing it did. With a little weighting of the pegs, and body position, I managed to make the corners on the single track we were on.

I've also had similar experiences on the motocross track. I didn't realise it was happening at the time, but the video had caught the whole thing.

Keep using that front brake! I usually go through 2 sets of front brake pads to one set of rears.

I use the front brakes for slowing down and rarely use the rear on trails. It just takes practice to know how much to use. On fast trails or roads I use both front and rear.