Sign in to follow this  

Buying 488 kit any feedback?

Anybody got a ATHENA 488 big bore kit and how do you like it? I can't wait to get it on! :thumbsup:

Anybody got a ATHENA 488 big bore kit and how do you like it? I can't wait to get it on! :thumbsup:

i have made better power with the 187 cam from Ron Hamp and his porting and leaving the bore and stroke alone. :bonk:

i have done several 488 kits for guys and was not as impressed .

now if you did the 488,

and got Ron's 208 cam and spring kit, with the bigger valves and had him flow and port the head , you will get good power.

but its funny how good the stock bore and stroke works when properly set up,

and the 187 cam is way better on the valve train,

if your shooting the hill in the dunes i would maybe go with the 488-503 bore and stroke with the big valve head and the 208,

but for moto,

i much prefer the stock bore and stroke with the 187 :thumbsup:

the 488 as delivered was hard to get 54 hp out of and did not rev,

while the 187 with Rons head and carb was just alittle over 60 hp and the thing makes power all the way to the limiter !! :eek:

I have one. If you do a search, I wrote detailed impressions. Much better than you'd find in MXA, Transworld, DirtRider, etc. In fact, they should hire me to be on the MXA "wrecking crew", or to test with Karel Kramer, or to throw stone spray sandwiches at "Big Girth". . . :thumbsup:

I have one. If you do a search, I wrote detailed impressions. Much better than you'd find in MXA, Transworld, DirtRider, etc. In fact, they should hire me to be on the MXA "wrecking crew", or to test with Karel Kramer, or to throw stone spray sandwiches at "Big Girth". . . :thumbsup:

Yeah Right! :bonk:

I beg to differ. Given my "druthers" I'd prefer the KTM EXC for trail riding with Big E and Swap, plus two clicks out on the big Glen Helen uphill. . .

I beg to differ. Given my "druthers" I'd prefer the KTM EXC for trail riding with Big E and Swap, plus two clicks out on the big Glen Helen uphill. . .

We need a smiley that will adequately express what a tool you are, but until then I'll just use this one... :thumbsup:

Probably over a year or so I made a couple posts regarding the Kit. Try checking my username and doing a search. If that don't work, I'll give you a brief summary after I'm done dealing with Redbeard. . . :thumbsup:

I am selling mine. 350 and its yours. excactly 10 hours on it. Looks new. I have detailed pics. send me a pm if your interested. I got rid of the bike and still have the kit.

Probably over a year or so I made a couple posts regarding the Kit. Try checking my username and doing a search. If that don't work, I'll give you a brief summary after I'm done dealing with Redbeard. . . :eek:

:bonk::thumbsup::thumbsup: