Which bike is better for my freind?

Hi all, well my freind is looking into getting a bike. He had a 1982 kdx175 and it was treated very poorly by the previuos owner. So he sold it to a guy for $200. Now he has like $450. As far as riding we will probably be racing, i already race with my other freind on his 4 wheeler and we would be glad to see my freind get a bike. a guy is selling a 1985 xr200 and i was wondering if this would be able to race with us. I have a 2001 kdx220 and my other freind is getting a warrior. Also, does the xr200 have good acceleration? Is it a good all around bike?? thanks for any help

toss the KDX175 they were crap i had one, XR200 as long as its a long travel bike 10inchs and not 8 he will do fine

Are you talking about real racing? Or just screwing around through the woods against eachother? If youre doing hare scrambles and such he will probably have an alright time with a 200. The 200 is a good trail bike and super reliable but its not a fast bike by any means. But if he cant raise more then 450 for his bike hows he gonna pay to race?

The xr200 has horrible acceleration, He needs about 2000 more dollars. Racing you guys on a KDX220 and a Warrior would be no fun for him...

You're not gonna find anything in good shape for $450. How old is the XR?

You need to get about $1000 if you want a decent bike. Anything below that will cost much more in repairs.

ok, here it goes, the bike is a 1985 honda xr200. I needs rings, a silencer, and fork seals. I think it is a good deal. I dont mean mx racing, i mean racing in tight woods. Also buying a bike for $450 does not make it bad, no offense to you all but untill you have owned a bike from the 1980's or 1970's then i would say you dont know if a bike for $450 is a bad deal. I have owned 6 bikes in the past 2 years. A 1972 yamaha 175 was my first, then a 1983 yamaha It175, then a suzuki rv125, then a 2001 kdx220, and finally my 1987 honda xl250 which i got for $450 with only 1500 original miles, that came with all the turn signals and the title and manual. It only needs a front tire, carb kits ($20) a piece, and a $40 intake cover. So for $550 i now have a bike worth $1000 easy. I really dont want to know if the xr is a good deal but rather if he could beat us in a race when he gains experience. The trails we ride on are about 6 feet wide and the whole track takes about 2 and a half minutes to complete.

maybe, if you can get the parts cheap, rings fork seals silencer, and if you can do all the work yourselves, you have to think your spending money on something that already needs money spent on it, add up how much it will cost to get it reliable out on the trails, and your finnal sum will tell you weather it's a good deal or not:)

ok, here it goes, the bike is a 1985 honda xr200. I needs rings, a silencer, and fork seals. I think it is a good deal. I dont mean mx racing, i mean racing in tight woods. Also buying a bike for $450 does not make it bad, no offense to you all but untill you have owned a bike from the 1980's or 1970's then i would say you dont know if a bike for $450 is a bad deal. I have owned 6 bikes in the past 2 years. A 1972 yamaha 175 was my first, then a 1983 yamaha It175, then a suzuki rv125, then a 2001 kdx220, and finally my 1987 honda xl250 which i got for $450 with only 1500 original miles, that came with all the turn signals and the title and manual. It only needs a front tire, carb kits ($20) a piece, and a $40 intake cover. So for $550 i now have a bike worth $1000 easy. I really dont want to know if the xr is a good deal but rather if he could beat us in a race when he gains experience. The trails we ride on are about 6 feet wide and the whole track takes about 2 and a half minutes to complete.

If you really know what you're doing then go for it. :thumbsup: As for whether or not he will be able to beat you or not, it depends on a lot of different things. It's not the bike, It's the rider. But he will definitely have a tough time beating you even if you are not that great of a rider.

i think a xr200 would lose to the pit bikes

Tell him to get 1200 bucks and go buy a kdx200 in good condition.

If you can keep momentum up on the track then he won't do too bad, but if you have to deccelerate, accelerate, repeat, repeat, then he'll get killed. Otherwise, he can just stay in a high gear and keep up the momentum.

Or an '01 YZ250f for around $1500!

you wouldn't be much of a competitor with an xr 200, it's just like a trail bike and I definetly wouldn't race one. Save ur money.