Sign in to follow this  

New DR-Z400S Owner (yay!)

Hello,

I murdered my DR650SE (long story) and purchased a 2006 DR-Z400S with the insurance payout. I pick it up early next week. Yay! :bonk:

Being rather n00bariffic to dirt riding, I'm staying away from performance upgrades, other than sorting out the lean-a$$ jetting. I've read Burned's stuff on all that. I'll get it sorted.

I'm looking at crash protection, comfort and getting a different/slightly larger gas tank on this thing. So far, I've got a Corbin and some TT case guards on order. It seems that people recommend the White Bros skid plate so I guess I'll pick up one of those. How about radiator guards? Unabiker? Also, there are tons of makers who have tanks for this bike. Any preferences there?

Then there are the DeathWings. My DR650SE came with those POSes. :thumbsup: I guess I'll be getting something with actual lugs.

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions. Advice is welcome.

Hello and welcome ! Your DR650 demise did not invlove saddlebags did it ? If not I'm thinking of someone over at ADVrider. You are going to enjoy your DRZ immensly, lots of helpfull people on the DRZ forum, the best for any bike.

As for the bigger tank. I reccommend the IMS 3.2 gallon from Baja Designs. $199.

It's only 0.7 gallon bigger, but that's significant on these bikes, and it fits perfectly.

40370763-M.jpg

Hello and welcome ! Your DR650 demise did not invlove saddlebags did it ? If not I'm thinking of someone over at ADVrider. You are going to enjoy your DRZ immensly, lots of helpfull people on the DRZ forum, the best for any bike.

I can neither confirm nor deny the SaddleBag Incident. :thumbsup: What a freakin' nightmare.

I'm on the Yahoo DRZ forum as well. Great group. There are lots of SV650 owners over there. :bonk:

I'm on the Yahoo DRZ forum as well. Great group. There are lots of SV650 owners over there. :bonk:

Congrats on the DRZ. :thumbsup:

I have a 2005 yellow SV650n with 250 miles on it for sale. $4900 if any of those guys are interested in it.

you will be happy with the dr-z.... it will beat alot of bikes out there....

You'll really like the new bike. Prior to really puting it through the ringer you should put on a real skid plate, case savers, and radator guards. If they only save your bike one time they'll most likely have paid for themselves. The next thing is to lower the final drive ratio. I'm currently running a 13-50 ratio. I mostly ride very technical woods and hills. Works good for me because I seldom road ride. Good luck

You'll really like the new bike. Prior to really puting it through the ringer you should put on a real skid plate, case savers, and radator guards. If they only save your bike one time they'll most likely have paid for themselves. The next thing is to lower the final drive ratio. I'm currently running a 13-50 ratio. I mostly ride very technical woods and hills. Works good for me because I seldom road ride. Good luck

I've already got a set of the TT branded case savers on order. 32 bucks shipped is a killer deal. The radiator guards and skid plate will be purchased when my insurance check comes in the mail, along with a tank.

Gearing...duh! Stock's 14/44, isn't it? That's pretty tall. Guess I'll be buying a few sprockets as well. Zookie always gears their dual-sports too tall. :thumbsup:

(Growing) shopping list:

1) Unabiker radiator guards (in Bling-Bling Blue)

2) White Bros skid plate

3) XYZ tires to be determined for NorCal spring riding (suggestions?)

4) rim locks

5) Sprocket assortment

6) Big-a$$ tank

7) RM-mid bend bars (liked those on the DR650SE)

8) Hand guards

9) Assorted trail tools so the tool can fix her bike on the trail.

How bout posting a pic if your new baby? Maybe you in it? Beth isn't a name I typically associate with a DR-Z rider. I'm not biased or anything... just kinda think girls riding bikes is cool.

rm mid bend is the stock bend IIRC and on the drz it is too low for most people. The concenses seems to be to go with a windam/carmichael or cr hi bend.

rm mid bend is the stock bend IIRC and on the drz it is too low for most people. The concenses seems to be to go with a windam/carmichael or cr hi bend.

from Pro-Taper's web site: Windham (RM Mid).

hm...

i had that bend on the DR650SE and it worked pretty well.

from Pro-Taper's web site: Windham (RM Mid).

hm...

i had that bend on the DR650SE and it worked pretty well.

I had never heard of the windam bend being called the rm mid before

:thumbsup: