Sign in to follow this  

DR650 oil cooled?

Some specifications of the DR650 list it as being air/oil cooled? Does oil cooled mean oil cooler? Or other?

Any links to the internal workings of the engine? Schematic?

Some specifications of the DR650 list it as being air/oil cooled? Does oil cooled mean oil cooler? Or other?

It appears that the external oil cooler radiator is just part of the DR650's oiling system flow, just like the oil filter. You could look for a Suzuki parts diagram somewhere, and probably see a schematic of the system.

The air/oil cooling works pretty well.

You don't really need a schematic. Just look at the bike and it's pretty simple

that's odd, my 97 with over 18,000 miles, in las vegas, ridden almost everyday does just fine with any heat. even sweltering 116 degree heat idling on I15 because it's a parking lot. as long as the engine and cooler are clean(free of mud/grime that doesn't allow them to dissapate heat), decent oil, and the engine is routinely ridden and maintained, these things will go forever.

Yes the engine is air and oil cooled.

One of the cooling methods it uses is a jet of oil to the under side of the piston head. This helps to cool the piston by spraying cooler oil onto the bottom of the piston ,and thus the oil removes some of the heat.

Obviously you've never rode your bike in Alabama in the summer time :thumbsup:

No, but it's warm enough in Texas to tell that aircooling works fine. I've never had OR heard of an overheated aircooled fourstroke among my riding group (or ANYWHERE for that matter). What were the symptoms Shookster?

I have had my bike out in 108 air temp and 98% humidity. I was sure hot but the bike never missed a beat. I would be intrested in what your bike did when it overheated. I have read that they loose power.

We are all waiting for your reply.....or are you a guy that trys to get everyone to think water cooling is the only way to go?

The bike doesn't overheat, I didn't mean to give that impression. I on the other hand, do. I rode an SV650 for two summers, so I have a pretty good basis for comparison. That DR puts off serious heat on the right side and thru the seat. It's like sitting on an oven.

Now I get it. Yes, the bike radiates heat but no more than anyother I would suspect. I work swing-shift and riding home at night from work when the temps are in the high 30's you want all the radiated heat you can get. ;-)

Most of the time when they say oil cooled they mean that a jet is shooting oil up under the piston. I don't know if this bike is set up that way.

I have a new 05 sportster that uses that system.

I do notice the oil cooler is big for this bike. I can feel the heat coming off of that thing in the summer and hitting my right shin. I have never had an oil cooler that puts out that much heat before.

The acronym Suzuki uses is SACS (suzuki Air/oil cooling system). This is why it holds a lot of oil (2700mls), because it runs large quantities around the engine like cooling fluid.

The acronym Suzuki uses is SACS (suzuki Air/oil cooling system). This is why it holds a lot of oil (2700mls), because it runs large quantities around the engine like cooling fluid.

I wouldn't say that the DR holds a lot of oil (2.4-2.7 quarts). The KLR holds (2.5 quarts) and is also a wet sump engine.

Do you own a DR650?

Yes I do.

03' 15000kms

Ohlins 46mm mx forks

Ohlins PDS shock

Custom swingarm mods

Whipps bash plate

Barkbuster Egos

18" rear smpro rim

trailtech speedo

...No I wont have picture untill next week

Didtza - Is it really still a DR? Just kidding - I always wonder when a bike is no longer what it started as. I guess if it still has the 650 engine it is still a DR.

I like the heat off the cooler, my right shin is the only warm part of my body when I get to work. I use my leg as a heat exchanger to keep the rest of me from freezing - oiled cooled bike, blood heated rider

I admit, in traffic, in summer, the DR sure seems to be putting off a lot of heat. Up to now, I have ridden a 1969 441 Victor Special, and it did not put out near the amount of heat the DR does. It was jetted richer, for sure. My son's 750 Katana also has suzuki's air oil cooling, and it didn't put out near the heat, or so it seemed.

I like air/oil cooling, it was the reason that I chose to buy the DR.

Dave in Tejas