Sign in to follow this  

What's Lafferty doing running a Trials Tire.....

doesn't he know they're dangerous. :p:worthy::cool::prof::lol::lol::worthy::worthy:

Page 112 in the new dirt rider magazine. His spectacular endo must be due to that nasty IRCTR011 on the back of his bike. Dang, I guess Dwight was right.

Of course Jimmy Lewis ran one on Last Man Standing. I don't think he endoed. :thumbsup:

Seems like some of the pros are figuring it out.

:bonk::thumbsup::eek:

all the guys were running them for the enuro course!!!! I think they have found your little "secret" out!!

Crap!!! :thumbsup::bonk::thumbsup::eek: That means no more secret advantage. :p

Why would you want a trials tire? Dont they wear out after a ride or two?

Kawirider, obviously you've never known anyone whose tried one. I get at LEAST 3X as many miles out of them as I do a sturdy knobbie like a Maxxcross IT. They are seemingly a paradox. You'd think they couldn't possibly work. But they do. You wouldn't think they'd last. But they do.

:thumbsup::bonk:

I may have to stick one on my WR450 for MOAB this year in April. Maybe sooner at the rate my stock tire is wearing. That and a 13 tooth front sprocket, and holly crap! Hold your hats and don't stand up! :bonk::thumbsup:

Strange, I don't think any of the "PROS" that were running trials tires were in the winners circle.

Strange, the rider who won the last man standing was a former trials rider. He had a knobby on his bike.

Dwight

Strange, I don't think any of the "PROS" that were running trials tires were in the winners circle.

Strange, the rider who won the last man standing was a former trials rider. He had a knobby on his bike.

Dwight

Maybe you don't need em if you're the best. My question is why were such a large number of obvious gifted riders using them. I've heard reports of Lafferty, Ty Davis and Jimmy Lewis among others running them. Why would they do that Dwight?

I tried out a IRC TR011 and found it to work exceptionally well in rocky terrain and tight gnarly trails. It sucks in the mud.

I ran 10 psi in the rear and man o man did that thing grip in the rocky sections. :thumbsup::bonk:

This was on my XR by the way.

What do they work best on then?

They excell in slimy roots and rocks.They also do real well on greasy hardpack like wet clay. But deep goo or even deep sand is not thier forte.A lititle mud or sand is okay but for the deep stuff, there is no substitute for Knobbies! :thumbsup:

Maybe you don't need em if you're the best. My question is why were such a large number of obvious gifted riders using them. I've heard reports of Lafferty, Ty Davis and Jimmy Lewis among others running them. Why would they do that Dwight?

But they have won nothing when using them ! Experimentation I guess. I know that some of them are testing for Radial knobbies.

Dwight

I have heard positive things about this setup. I just don't ride enough rocky stuff to buy one.

anything grips fine in rocks. where i like the trials tire best is dry loose gnarly steep up and down rooty singletrack, like what you find in the sawtooths, or nevada high country or the sierras. the trails around baumgartner for example are almost custom made for a trials tire. i can ride them all with a knobby, but the trials tire is definitely easier on the trail, and i spin alot less.

i think they're dumb for racing in general. maybe applicable for last man standing, but the endurocross course (i was there) didn't seem to me like something that would require a trials tire.

mw

I'm not too gifted so I let my bike, and the tire do all the work...

I can get any tire I want and I ran a trials tire at LMS. I'd have run one at endurocross too. I trailride with them most of the time now.

They are great as long as you don't skid or slide on any type of dirt. Even sand or mud. They don't have "moments" like specifically designed tires like a sand tire does, but they get really good consistent traction all the time. Unless you skid or slide, then they don't do too well. Hence, they may not be the best for a lot of racing applications.

Sorry for wrecking all the secrets you guys had. I'm not taking credit for starting this either! I copied cause it works.

JIMMY

Sorry for wrecking all the secrets you guys had. I'm not taking credit for starting this either! I copied cause it works.

JIMMY

Jimmy, LOL! We all copied! I learned about trials tires from Ruxton Noble up at Moab. Thanks for throwing in your $.02. :thumbsup: It's great to hear input on this subject from some obvious pros who can run whatever tire they want and yet still have an open mind. You're not wrecking any secrets around here. There seems to be a pretty clearly drawn line in the.......um, dirt. :eek: Some guys will just never try one. Their loss. Like you say, for trailriding and some forms of racing they are a blast. BTW, congrats on LMS! :bonk::thumbsup:

Bill