Sign in to follow this  

XT660R - U.S.A. importation campaign

Trying to get some support for the importation of this bike to the U.S.

Wouldn't you love to see this bike available in the U.S.A.? Call Yamaha Customer Service at 800-962-7926, and request to have this bike imported.

03-800.jpg

XT660R

I love Yamahas, I own 2 but unless the did some serious rework on the XT660 I would not want or own one. This bike is heavier than the competition and has that stupid for a dirt bike exhaust. Look elswhere, it is a pig. Now take the 660 or the 700 engine on the ATVs with FI and put it into a modified WR chassis then you might have a bike.

I agree with tigerowner. The XT has lost its roots as a dual sport and has turned into some sick looking toad. Those rad scoops blow! Looks like a cheap steel swingarm, and how about some beefier forks, maybe inverted?

Call KTM and ask for the 640 LC4 Enduro.

I have owned a '02 KTM 640 Adventure. :eek: I don't regret selling it. I had to travel 3 hours to the mountains to ride, and engine vibration/seat was torture. :thumbsup: Plus, the thing nickel and dimed me to death with small parts. I have owned several Yamahas and the engines are bulletproof. Do a search on the 'legendary' Tenere.

Do a search on the XT660 and read the reviews. They are :thumbsup: The initial reports echo that it has extraordinary handling; So, it can't be a pig.

As for the competition, get a DRZ400/XL650L for the dirt, but the XT660R is reported to be an excellent handling 80 road/ 20 dirtbike, which is what I am looking for (fuel injection, smooth highway, liquid cooled, reasonable seat height).

So help me out and call, even if you don't want one. :bonk:

I have heard of two unhappy Husky customers in the whole forum. The WR had woodruff key issues for my model year but I dealt with the issue fixed the problem and moved on. The husky is the best option out there. The DR 650 and XRL can be stripped of weight for a good highway DS. I also read many XT 660 reviews and the bike IS way heavy, the exhaust IS vulnerable to damage, and it is at most a fire road bike and if you waht that you can get a KLR. THe little KLX and the DRZ are also decent options below 65 mph.

I love Yamahas but the XT is a pig!

I've had a XT350 and A XT600, loved them both, bullit proof, yeah the suspension could be a little better but they are very dependable bikes.

I sold my 350 (after 12,000+ mi) to buy the 600 which I gave to my son (he still has it, going strong) after I bought my F650, I'd trade my F650 for a XT660R in a heart beat, hey it's just my "street bike" :thumbsup:

Nothing comes close to the Husqvarnas.

yeah 2 guys had problems with their '06 610--but Husky warrantied the bikes --its a tried and true dual sport of the highest order. fast. smooth. reliable. cheap.

highly recommended!

I just can't see paying $7K for a bike that requires the connecting rod to be replaced every 6250 miles. Check it out, '06 TE610 manual, page 70.

unless they did some serious rework on the XT660 I would not want or own one. This bike is heavier than the competition

The XT660 is 373 pounds. :thumbsup: That engine is also in the Raptor 700R ATV which weighs 396 pounds.

The WR450F is 247 pounds while the YFZ450 (ATV) is 350 pounds.

It's not surprising to see a 103 pound difference in the 450 category, but to see only a 23 pound difference in the big bore category is shocking.

May want to cross your fingers that Aprilia imports the Pegaso 660 trail. Same engine and more sexappeal

p00319_0083.jpg

Does that bike have a full cradle frame design?

heck id be happy to get an xt 250 here in canada. the xt225 just aint gonna cut it. that 660 looks like it would be goood for those of us who mostly street run our bikes but if the insurance is gonna be comparable to the naked sport bikes i dont want one at all.

Does that bike have a full cradle frame design?

I do not know much about the bike but it looks nice. I would like to see a new Japanese thumper but it seems they just don't care about the DS category. You can find out more from http://www.aprilia.it

Call KTM and ask for the 640 LC4 Enduro.

I second that :thumbsup:

One word...................Huskyfrigginvarna!

Husky huh? Lets see there is one dealer in Colorado, none in Wyoming, none in New Mexico, none in Utah.

Some of the best riding places in the US and only one dealer. Doesnt sound too good to me if I were on the TransAmerica Trail riding a husky and broke a clutch cable or something.

KTM dealers are more frequent, but try to replace that clutch part in some small town in Mexico, wont happen. There are Hon/Yam/Kaw/Suz dealers everywhere. Dealer support is worth more than the 'go fast, wrench frequently' bike anyday.

I'd take an XT/WR/DRZ or XR any day over a Husky.