Extra Transmission Oil??????

I have been hearing alot about people adding extra oil to trasmission : adding a liitle extra or a full quart....anyone concerned about extra pressure..blown seals or any problems this could cause?? anyone know anything about this? I think adding extra oils sounds like a good idea for extra lubrication since there seems to be people having issues, however I am concerned of the negative impact this could have...any thoughts????

I have been hearing alot about people adding extra oil to trasmission : adding a liitle extra or a full quart....anyone concerned about extra pressure..blown seals or any problems this could cause?? anyone know anything about this? I think adding extra oils sounds like a good idea for extra lubrication since there seems to be people having issues, however I am concerned of the negative impact this could have...any thoughts????

I think it vents to the atmoshere and never runs pressurized. I haven't traced the vent line to prove that, but I've heard that from a couple of TTers. Anyone confirm?

When the advice comes from Burned and Kelstr, you can take it to the bank. I normally ran Amsoil 10w40 at the specified amount in my trans, then after talking to Kelstr, I decided to run ATF at 300cc above the recommended amount. My bike shifted smoother and seemed quieter instantly. Sweet! ?

So your running regular ATF fluid for a car?? Like Dextron, ect???

When the advice comes from Burned and Kelstr, you can take it to the bank. I normally ran Amsoil 10w40 at the specified amount in my trans, then after talking to Kelstr, I decided to run ATF at 300cc above the recommended amount. My bike shifted smoother and seemed quieter instantly. Sweet! ?

i agree 100% i have had some problems in the past and talked with Kelstr and all problems gone.. i had not herd about the ATF in the tranny side but after hearing this i want to confirm and then switch over!!

i agree 100% i have had some problems in the past and talked with Kelstr and all problems gone.. i had not herd about the ATF in the tranny side but after hearing this i want to confirm and then switch over!!

I'm running regular Dexron/Mercon ATF. I think it's Chevron crap that I got at Checker in a gallon jug. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than Amsoil, which is what I was running before, and I have a sponsorship from them. The ATF has detergants and keeps things nice and clean, too. ?

Idk why ur running dextron III or any other ATF? Im not as smart as the honda engineers and I dont talk like I am either but you should run what Honda says! I put in the recomended 649cc's or however much it was and ended up putting another 1/4 of a qt of fluid in to get it to flow out of the check plug on the side of the tranny. Thats just my 2 cents.

Zack

Idk why ur running dextron III or any other ATF? Im not as smart as the honda engineers and I dont talk like I am either but you should run what Honda says! I put in the recomended 649cc's or however much it was and ended up putting another 1/4 of a qt of fluid in to get it to flow out of the check plug on the side of the tranny. Thats just my 2 cents.

Zack

So if the Honda guys are so infallible, then why did you have to put in another 1/4 quart just to get it to come out the check hole? I trust Burned and Kelstr more than the Honda guys. They also say to change the top end every 15 hours. ?

So if the Honda guys are so infallible, then why did you have to put in another 1/4 quart just to get it to come out the check hole? I trust Burned and Kelstr more than the Honda guys. They also say to change the top end every 15 hours. ?

Same here... you mean you dont really change it every 15 hours? :bonk:?

Just got this bike (crf450x) and have been doing a lot of reading......convinced now to add extra.....when I changed oil and put honda's recomended amount it did not come out the check hole like it even says it should in manual.....hmm kept pouring it in till it did and guess what....it took the whole quart...thanks for the info......

Just got this bike (crf450x) and have been doing a lot of reading......convinced now to add extra.....when I changed oil and put honda's recomended amount it did not come out the check hole like it even says it should in manual.....hmm kept pouring it in till it did and guess what....it took the whole quart...thanks for the info......

Yardie, That's what the manual says to do...

but on my bike when I put in the recomended amount ,then

run for 3 min. then wait 3 min. oil runs out the check hole ?

I'am just gonna put the whole quart in and fagetaboutit.

Same here just change the tranny oil and like I know the bike will take the hole quart. befor it comes out the hole. So it sounds like people are loosing there tranny cause of there own mistake ?

I'm running regular Dexron/Mercon ATF. I think it's Chevron crap that I got at Checker in a gallon jug. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than Amsoil, which is what I was running before, and I have a sponsorship from them. The ATF has detergants and keeps things nice and clean, too. ?

Thats about as wise as wearing a cheap helmet...Have you ever invstigated oils and found what makes some better than others or do you just do what everyone tells you? :bonk:

I'll agree with Mr Smith on the ATF subject. I know allot of the two stroke guys run ATF in the tranny and seem to think it's OK. The four stroke bikes seem to get hotter on the lower end and I would question whether the ATF will give you adequate protection. I'll stick with the red Honda stuff, Ive got too much invested.

Thats about as wise as wearing a cheap helmet...Have you ever invstigated oils and found what makes some better than others or do you just do what everyone tells you? ?

I trust what kelstr tells me and he hasn't failed me yet. BTW - there's no need to question my intelligence. You know what it means when you make assumptions. :bonk: