Sign in to follow this  

6ft vs. 7ft wide?

I have just started looking at enclosed trailers and have more questions than answers at this point. Initially, I was thinking about a 6x12. After some of the comments I have seen in the forum, I am now leaning toward a 14 footer. But I am torn between the 6 and 7ft wide versions. Outside of bikes (mainly 2, 4 on rare occasions), I am planning on some hanging storage bins. Ok, that's the background, hopefully you guys can help me answer the following questions. Oh, the trailer would be towed with a Tahoe.

1. Is there a big difference when towing a 6ft wide trailer vs. the 7ft?

2. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the single vs. dual axle?

3. What concerns should I have about keeping the trailer at one of those storage facilities?

4. Have any of you added a portable toilet in your trailers? (The wife hates the public johns at the tracks)

Buying a porti poty or 5 gal bucket would be easy enough.

I like the 6x12 as it tows easily and has enough room for bikes, gear, camping supplies. Expect more wind drag and poorer visibility with the 7 footer.

Single axle is easer to turn but won't take the weight of a dual.

I tow with a compact and fullsize truck so I really couldn't go much bigger than a 6x12. For only 2 bikes and gear a 6x12 should be plenty big.

There is even enough room for a golf cart and a bike inside.

:thumbsup:

The 7-ftr would be good if you planned on hauling quads (sideways you may fit 3).

I would be surprised if you found a trailer larger than 12-ft with a single axel. I have had a portable toilet in po-up tent trailer. You can get one at walmart and remove it when the space is needed or at night.

With a 7-ft you might have some sight issues, but I have towed my 102" (8.5-ft) toy hauler w/o mirror extensions and would have no problems with 7-ft.

Get the biggest you can afford. The Tahoe will tow up to 7000lbs.

Recommend 7'x14' dual axle with recessed wheels, flat tires on a single axle are hairy. Mine is a Pace, most brands are excellent, check for steel frame from floor to ceiling and plywood, not particle or chip board. Mine tows well with my F350 SRW with 6.0L diesel. Truck has built in brake controller, works excellent. Plenty of room for bikes and gear. I painted the floor with Duron paint mixed with skidtex, easy to touchup scratches and stains. Installed numerous D rings and Pingle wheelchocks (removable) on the floor, shelves and racks throughout for tools, parts, gear and stuff. Fits 4 full size and 2 mini dirtbikes. Installed 15K BTU roof mounted A/C, 2 Honda 2000 watt generators hooked up in parallel, wired interior with lights and outlets, 50 gallon water tank on tongue. 3 cots, portable toilet, Olympia Wave propane heater, propane shower, power washer, air compressor, microwave, small fridge, toaster, coffeemaker, fan, E-Z-UP shelter, folding chairs make it comfortable to be away for a few days and it's fairly easy to set up. I take all gas cans and bikes out when I sleep in it. Much cheaper than a motorhome.

• Like 1

Ditto the comment on finding a large single. Most small trailer axles are rated for 3500#. My buddy's new Carson flatbed is an 8x14 and is just over 1100 by itself. The official rating on the trailer is 2900, meaning we can only load about 1800 before going over max.

An enclosed trailer, even a 7x12, is going to get the weight up there pretty quickly.

I tow a 7X16 with my Toyota Tacoma. No problems seeing down the sides. I have tandem axles, each axle is good for 3500#, so minus the weight of the trailer, the balance is your payload max. Of course, a tandem is 7000# minus trailer weight. I had an 8X14 before, wasn't long enough to even put in 2 quads end to end, or was, but barely and one needed to be kicked sideways and most bikes are 8 feet long, so to go 2 bikes deep, a 16 footer it ideal. As for width, 2 bikes will easily fit in a 7 foot wide. I have done lots of research, owned other enclosed and came to the conclusion I wanted is 7X16. My axles are wide enough, I don't have wells on the inside, looks nice that way IMHO. Not to sound redundant, but I've posted this link so many times, but here it goes again for you to take a peek at. toyota_mdt_techs trailer

Do the dual axles handle any better or worse on the highway?

Another big concern is that my HOA won't allow us to park trailers. Do any of you use storage facilities to store you trailer? What should I look out for if I go this route?

Duals pull better than singles and are less likely to sway. Also easier to control if you have a blowout. They also take a little weight off the tow vehicle vs a similar single.

I don't store mine so can't help there. I'd guess you'd want to pay for a higher end storage place that has security or park it inside.

Do the dual axles handle any better or worse on the highway?

Another big concern is that my HOA won't allow us to park trailers. Do any of you use storage facilities to store you trailer? What should I look out for if I go this route?

yes dual axles are better by far,

but the tripple axle is the way to go , and my 40' toyhauler is 8' inside wide and 8 1/2 outside,

and it gets small at times :p i used a 6' wide 12 footer once and it was so small it was terrible :worthy:

and on the storage , do not leave anthing in the trailer when you store it , it will get broken into ,thoes places are not very safe----get good insurance :bonk::thumbsup:

i have two pads at my shop property ( motorhome and 5th wheel parking )

i would never consider an HOA ,-----i can't believe people move into these things , try like hell to get out and rent it out so you may have your god givin freedom and keep all your stuff under your controll at your new normal american place,

let somebody else live under the 3rd rike of hitlers rulers :eek:

I like my 7x14,it is big enough for 4 full size bikes and all the stuff a family needs to go riding for a week!I pull it with a Tahoe and it does just fine! It is a tandem with a inside height of about 6'10 as far as putting the bikes in side ways mine is a little short for that,it would need to be about 4 in wider! :thumbsup:

I have a 7X14 Interstate with the "Wide Track" option so there is no wheel wells inside the trailer and I can put bikes in sideways so I can stack a lot of bikes in.

Best trailer I have ever owned.

Bought a 6x14 interstate late last year.

2005 with the wedge front, the interior is almost 16' long in the center.

Torsion single axle, w/brakes. 3/8" walls, 3/4" floor, ramp rear door, side window.

Placed an awning over the "man door" side, installed an automotive battery, stereo w/10 cd changer and 12v power outlets inside.

Usual checkerboard floor, but used inexpensive indoor/outdoor carpet for the interior walls....that worked out sweet.

Heavy-duty recessed tie down rings (8) and (4) removable wheel chocks.

Probably have about 4600 into it with sales tax, plates, and all the goodies.

Worth every penny.

Tows absolutely great behind a 6-cylinder Jeep Grand Cherokee...once the bikes are out under the awning, we blow up 2 queen size air mattresses... and within minutes, my wife, 2 daughters, the dogs and I are camping!

If I choose to get a used one instead of new, what are some things I should look for?

I checked out used units for a long time, and really good quality trailers hold their value well...so I just ended up going new, without spending a whole lot more, mostly to get the V-nose, warranty and peace of mind.

I guess if I had my choice of options, in order:

side door

ramp door

3/4" floor

3/8" sidewalls

interior lights

If you're buying used, crawl all over under the unit looking for damage. Check the wheels, bearings, tires as thoroughly as possible, including jacking up both sides and looking for play, blown grease seals, tire flat spots or cracking from extended storage.

Make sure that someone hasn't replaced the tires with passenger car tires with a lower load rating!

I guess if I had my choice of options, in order:

side door

ramp door

3/4" floor

3/8" sidewalls

interior lights

Why have the added maintenance cost of 4 tires, bearings, more gas, etc., when it's not needed to haul only 4 bikes and some gear? Look at this new 6' x 12' unit I'm selling, which would accomodate your needs.... http://www.thumpertalk.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=9500 It would be perfect and ready to go! :thumbsup: (but it won't remain for sale for long...)

Why have the added maintenance cost of 4 tires, bearings, more gas, etc., when it's not needed to haul only 4 bikes and some gear? Look at this new 6' x 12' unit I'm selling, which would accomodate your needs.... http://www.thumpertalk.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=9500 It would be perfect and ready to go! :thumbsup: (but it won't remain for sale for long...)

Nice set up, especially all the e-track and tie down points.

Nice set up, especially all the e-track and tie down points.

Thanks... now to find it a worthy new home :thumbsup: