Sign in to follow this  

CS Oil Seal - The Definitive Thread with picture

OK.....I know it's been covered MANY times before...but read this now....

I thought that this would never happen to me, my bike is only new..!! :bonk:

I've only done 3000 miles, I look after my bike, I clean it properly after every ride, I spray WD40 everywhere, I did not worry.....but... BUT....yesterday I took my bike for a quick ride, after it had been stood in the garage for a while.

I was about 3 miles from home, in my favourite bit of woodland. I stopped when nature called. After splashing my boots in the undergrowth, I turned round and noticed a horrible sight....OIL everywhere.. even all over my left boot, which I thought was a previous bad aim from my old lad, but NO, it was OIL..!!

Thank god for the pint of mineral water I drank before my ride out..!!

Having read many posts about the CS Oil Seal problem, it looked like fate had got me.!! :eek:

I rode home very gingerly, the engine still sounded sweet, there must have been enough oil, so I took a chance, which seemed to have paid off. I coasted most of the way home without a problem.

I immediately Emailed Burned :p on my return, who explained that I should be ok just replacing the seal and bearing sleeve. I have ordered a stainless version from Ebay.

Tonight I stripped the parts, and have posted a picture of the problem below.

The seal is completely torn open as you can see (no, I didn't damage it further prising it out) presumably by the badly corroded sleeve.

Let this be a warning to ALL DRZ owners, CHECK IT NOW, IT SURELY WILL HAPPEN TO YOURS..!!

DSCF0003.jpg

I've also ordered the stainless wheel spacers, because.....? you guessed it..!!!!

:thumbsup:

Don't learn the way I did...BE WARNED :thumbsup:

Can you give the link to the SS spacer on ebay. I've never noticed them there.

Thanks Joel

Let this be a warning to ALL DRZ owners, CHECK IT NOW, IT SURELY WILL HAPPEN TO YOURS..!!

How exactly do you check it? I always though that this is only a problem if your sprocket nut gets loose.

I thought that this would never happen to me, my bike is only new..!! :thumbsup:

I've only done 3000 miles, :bonk:

Shouldn't this be a warranty item?

-

depends on the climate.they do not corrode here.but we are very dry.

ive never fixed a cs leak that wasnt from the nut being loose.

Isn't there a source for these SS spacers besides eBay? :thumbsup:
Not that I've seen,, and as demand drives supply that should indicate something to you. This seems like a real bad problem for a few, and a non issue for most. :bonk: So supply is low. I spent 3 years in the pacific north west (wet) rain, mud, water crossings, ect ect, on most every ride. Nothing more then a hose down after the days riding (or the next day, or week :thumbsup: ) Never had a spacer rust to the point of causing a leak. I did get some branches, grass and twigs caught up behind the sprocket on one ride that caused the seal to leak.. but that was hardly a design flaw, or unexpected.

Not that I've seen,, and as demand drives supply that should indicate something to you. This seems like a real bad problem for a few, and a non issue for most. :thumbsup: So supply is low. I spent 3 years in the pacific north west (wet) rain, mud, water crossings, ect ect, on most every ride. Nothing more then a hose down after the days riding (or the next day, or week :bonk: ) Never had a spacer rust to the point of causing a leak. I did get some branches, grass and twigs caught up behind the sprocket on one ride that caused the seal to leak.. but that was hardly a design flaw, or unexpected.

I never saw a puddle he could avoid,,,unless it was to hit a larger one on the other side of the trail :thumbsup:

You have rust, I've never had rust so I' haven't had the issue. I did replace my seal and collar at 14000 miles and it was okay. This seal and collar has 25,000 miles. I think those areas with lots of corrosive mud have more issue.

Isn't there a source for these SS spacers besides eBay? :bonk:

If you bear with me a few days on this, I'm currently trying to arrange manufacture of these sleeves, and the wheel spindle spacer kits in stainless.

Contact me if you are interested :

www.mgmoto.co.uk

Careful though, you may all want crash bobbins too :thumbsup:

This has me thinking that more guys who do a lot of wet trail riding should remove the CS sprocket cover, to prevent mud build up behind the sprocket.

Once mud gets in there, it's like having a wet sponge sitting there, all the time.

I'd be curious to know if the bike in question here, was one with the cover left in place.

Also...

Was the CS nut ever found to be loose on this bike?

This has me thinking that more guys who do a lot of wet trail riding should remove the CS sprocket cover, to prevent mud build up behind the sprocket.

Once mud gets in there, it's like having a wet sponge sitting there, all the time.

I'd be curious to know if the bike in question here, was one with the cover left in place.

Also...

I removed the sprocket cover from new, I never let mud accumulate, the CS Sprocket nut was tight (loctited) . Purely corrosion caused this failure, nothing else.

I removed the sprocket cover from new, I never let mud accumulate, the CS Sprocket nut was tight (loctited) . Purely corrosion caused this failure, nothing else.

Hmmm...

That's more than a little troubling, since what you see in this photo is my usual motis operandi...

3c7edd41.jpg

If you bear with me a few days on this, I'm currently trying to arrange manufacture of these sleeves, and the wheel spindle spacer kits in stainless.

I'm interested so drop me a PM when they are finished. :bonk:

Also...

:bonk:

Good point. My cover came off the bike at mile 10 :thumbsup:

I'm interested so drop me a PM when they are finished. :thumbsup:

Will let you know soon, cheers